What's new
A

Apocalypse

Not a technical guide nor any question here, just a simple rant for the love of it.

My one and only cabinet is a Neo Geo Big Red Pacific version as seen there (bottom of the page- Allied Leisure 6 Slot):
http://www.hardmvs.fr/xml/pacific/pacCabs.php

That thing was made for the Oceanian market, which means the cheapest in every aspect:
- Kortek Chassis
- Zenith monitor (25", not bad but poor image quality)
- No name sticks (feel horrible) and buttons (you better have strong fingers)
- No name PSU
- Etc.

I've already done a lot on that cab:
- fixed the faulty MV-6F slot (only two slots working when I got it)
- fixed the MV-ELA board used to drive marquee lights
- replaced one EL panel for one the marquees
- built the missing memory card harness
- replaced the missing stereo headphone jack for P2
- replaced a couple of broken buttons and reordered them to follow the Neo Geo standard (A = red, B = yellow, C = green, D = blue)
- fixed both credit counters
- replaced the faulty bulb in the SELECT button
- recapped the chassis (which improved the image a lot but still not great)

Now I thought it was time to recap the PSU too cause +12V rail was much instable.
I pulled it from the cab and found it has no brand whatsoever printed on the outside, no serial, no nothing...

Once opened I learned the brand was actually Eago and surprisingly they still exist as of today:
https://www.eagovisiontech.com/product-53021-53021.html

I also discovered few really shocking things:

Parts only have numbers to be identified on the silkscreen, no prefix at all (C for capacitors, R for resistors, etc.).
Some parts don't even have a number!

Black dot (if present...) on the silkscreen indicates the positive side (+) on polarized capacitors!!!

Values on capacitors are in MFD (MotherFucker to Death? Mega Farad of Devil?) and WV (WagenVolks? Wrong Volt?).

:D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You surely got the most... interesting, if not unique things over there.

Is Zenit the same company which makes the russian camera lenses? They made copies of Zeiss lens back then and they were pretty good and still quite looked after today.

Is Zenit the same company which makes the russian camera lenses? They made copies of Zeiss lens back then and they were pretty good and still quite looked after today.
I don't think so, I believe it's an American company, at least it has a Made in U.S.A. sticker on it.

lol! You're just lucky it isn't all No.8 wire...

For anyone playing along:

MFD Micro FaraD

WV Working Volts

lol! You're just lucky it isn't all No.8 wire...

For anyone playing along:

MFD Micro FaraD

WV Working Volts
Yeah but according to International System of Units M (capital letter) stands for Mega (one million). Micro should be the Greek letter µ (mu). Then Farad is F not FD.
Working Volts by opposition to non working volts? W is Watt.
I wonder where they pulled those from.

Back