What's new
Parts of the tube that you think are dirty might be a layer of aquadag. You don't want to remove that unless you want a light show every time you turn your monitor on.

Focus adjusts the sharpness. Screen adjust the brightness. You'll want to turn the monitor on with no game in it and turn the screen knob until the horizontal lines on the monitor just disappear. Once you dial those two in they are "set it and forget it" knobs. MS8-26SU has a second brightness pot on the chassis if you need to brighten things up a bit.
what exactly do you mean by Lightshow. I just recently read that in some cases this aquadag is not water resistant and it’s forming like a big cap with inside layer and the glass in between. But what’s the function of it other than striking people with electricity

From the pics you posted a few posts back it looks like it's fine?

It's a graphite coating. If you rub it with your finger it will leave a mark.

Some tubes have a larger surface covered. It depends on the tube. As long as the coating is where the dag wire is, it's probably fine.

Last edited:
From the pics you posted a few posts back it looks like it's fine?

It's a graphite coating. If you rub it with your finger it will leave a mark.

Some tubes have a larger surface covered. It depends on the tube. As long as the coating is where the dag wire is, it's probably fine.
No idea what the dag wire is... but I will be cautious.

Anyway, my next issue is horizontal size. The image was just slightly too big and the h. size pot wasn't doing anything. So I set the cable in the back to NARROW and the picture looks great, though I wish it was a bit wider.... but again the h.size pot seems to do nothing? Perhaps I have the incorrectly sized hex wrench inserted in the pot?

chrome_O0a6fCT3Ew.png

chrome_0T04XSFgcS.png

Any ideas? This monitor will eventually be coming out again when my new monitor brackets come in. These old ones are extremely rusted and the rubber grommets were dead, lol.

I think we're having a disconnect here. Maybe snap a picture?
monitor-before-after.jpg

I, for some reason, didn't take any good photos of the back of the tube when it was dirty, but even if there was aquadag on it, the dust was very, very thick on top of it and I would want to redo it anyway.

I'd say you have a grounding issue. Missed a connector or a strap somewhere in putting it back together. Did you get the one from the tube to the neckboard?

I'd say you have a grounding issue. Missed a connector or a strap somewhere in putting it back together. Did you get the one from the tube to the neckboard?
Oh the issue in the video was fixed my moving the flyback transformer away from other wires and components. Image looks purdy now.

EHyoCr5VUAE-Gxy.jpg

Maybe it's the picture, but a MS8-26 should look way sharper than that, especially if you're feeding it a medium resolution signal.

Have you adjusted the focus pot on the flyback? If it still looks out of focus even after adjusting, you could try rejuvenating the guns if you know someone with a rejuvenator.

If it's just the pic, then nevermind.

Maybe it's the picture, but a MS8-26 should look way sharper than that, especially if you're feeding it a medium resolution signal.

Have you adjusted the focus pot on the flyback? If it still looks out of focus even after adjusting, you could try rejuvenating the guns if you know someone with a rejuvenator.

If it's just the pic, then nevermind.
It's probably just the pic. I was attempting to just the flyback when the monitor was doing it's thing in the video above, so I may want to give that another try, but it looks pretty damn nice. Very happy with how it came out.

Another day, another problem. I haven't touched the monitor since it worked perfectly. I did reinstall my controls and added an amplifier though. I wanted to try playing a game but my monitor had other ideas:

Back