What's new

evilsim

Professional
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N051_LxUVlU

I bought a SSF2X from Japan and only just started to use it for longer than just turning it on to test it. After a period of time, the graphics quickly glitch out and the game freezes completely with a plain colour screen. Rebooting results in a freeze almost straight away, or no picture at all.

I have reseated all the DIP's and checked all the CPS IC's under a usb microscope and a magnifying glass, nothing appears to be dryjointed or not soldered properly. When I press down on the IC's while the game is running it makes not difference, however, some of the IC's I cannoy reach due to the daughterboard being in the way.

There are some pics of the board here and comments about me thinking it was a suicide problem, but it happens with or without the inifikey https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/infinikey-cps2.7021/post-171882

Any help would be much appreciated. This has got to be my fav CPS2 game :)

recapped entire board (14 x 10uF CAPS, all marked CCX and one marked CCI (near battery))
Then 2 x 100uF caps on the daughterboard.

This issue had nothing to do with the A board.

seems to be working.
quite pleased.

I also fixed my most recent CPS2 multi board by recapping it, the audio was randomly dropping out DURING game play!

CAPACITORS FTW :thumbup:

EDIT: colours are more vibrant and audio is clean after re-cap. do it.

well the happy ending was not to be. the game ran for over 2 hours with no problems so i turned it off thinking all was well.
after running it again in attract mode for a few minutes later on the game started exhibiting the same behavior as before.

so its not fixed :(

@streetfighterken i have reseated the thing so many times, i know im connecting them together properly. wish that was simply it though ! hehe

it exhibits the same problem on different A boards. i have tried 3 different ones

You should be able to run the board without the daughterboard, will just be missing parts of the graphics, but should be sufficient to allow for poking at other chips which would be covered by it.

thanks for the suggestions @fluxcore and @Raph_friend

I've tried without the daughterboard - same problem. However I can probe around the board now so thanks.

I will order some SN74LS245NS 20pin 12.60 mm × 5.30 mm and swap it over. I love using my new hot air rework station and this will be another opportunity to use it!

@Raph_friend the same problem happens with a different A board, I got another A board in the mail today, which works with other games, but same problem with this SSF2X board :(

Today I tried replacing the IOA LS245, but it did not help, I had the same problem, game crashes etc.
Luckily I found a pile of different LS components at work ! (random)

Thanks for the suggestion, I am happy to try other things to try and resolve this

Your problem is something related to PROGRAM. Hard to say something without tests.

how long does it work before the issue?
enough to make areas hot or cold to pinpoint it?

Diagnosing B boards is always irritating. I had an issue with graphical break up and spent hours looking over everything. Caps, solder joints, chips...you name it, I checked

ONE pin was oxidized. Cleaned it, worked perfect. Took FOREVER to find it

Good luck getting the board back up and running!

how long does it work before the issue?
enough to make areas hot or cold to pinpoint it?
I have had it happen straight away, or longest its worked it 2 hours before the problem happened.

@awbacon1 whereabouts was this oxidized pin on yours ? On one of the ROMS ?

thanks for the comments everyone, I'd really like to get this board working.

wow thats confusing hehe. at least it happens every time in the same spot, mine will stuff up randomly anytime, from bootup to ~2hrs of attract mode or play.

im hoping to get my hands on a eprom writer sometime in the future and ill rewrite all the roms and try again

Your problem is something related to PROGRAM. Hard to say something without tests.
I got a VP598 programmer in the mail today ! first thing I did was compare the SSF2X program roms (3->9) and they all compare OK to roms in the SSF2T mame zip.

still wanting to try and fix this board.. I will continue to dump all the chips on this SSF2X board and compare them all to a functional/working SSF2X board I have..

its a little confusing for me to know which roms in the mame ZIP to compare to, some were in the root of the zip, some in the ssf2xjr and some in the ssf2x folder.. not sure if this is a bad thing, that they didnt all compare 100% to files in root + a single folder.. im learning..

Program are related to ROM 3 till 10, so basically the problem may not be related to DATA lost or corrupted, but some pin that is not connecting, so you have to test all the pins first.

Back