What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
So I won this auction a few months ago. It was a Tatsujin for about $210 USD delivered, but sold as "junk", or at least I thought. I figured, a cheaper game that looks like it mostly worked, maybe sound is out or something. I just remember the auction saying "junk" but showing a working screen. Here is the link.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m341269594

Anyone speak Japanese? I had to use Google Translate and I'm not understanding what is wrong. The reason I'm asking is b/c I finally plugged in the PCB and played it for about 10 min with no issues that I could tell. I'd love to know what is wrong with the board if it's listed.

Thanks!

“Junk” in Japan used to just mean untested. Seriously 98% of console junk I bought in Japan at Hard Off and other recycle stores worked 100% flawlessly.

Obviously in this day and age there’s people who take advantage of the literal foreign interpretation of what junk is, however there’s still the honest ones...

Hmm, interesting. But still, even in the auction you can see they plugged it up and shot some screen shots of it. That's why I thought sound might have been out.

OK, well, at least the Japanese are still cool for sales... except that asshole who sold me a conversion PCB...

Untested can also mean “no warranty” or “I haven’t played this game until the very end” or “I haven’t tested every single function, dip switch and measured the readings on all the capacitors”.

I’ve been going to Japan for over 20 years now, and before the Internet, the above was very true for used goods sold at stores. Everything else was considered junk.

Japanese had a level and pride and honesty that has slightly diminished in the current generation. It’s still exists, just not as stringent as it was in the 90’s.

Back