What's new

RGB

Champion
Reaction score
26441251415_79b2511fb2.jpg

Description

I had this little project ready months ago, but was way too busy to release it. But finally – I present you the PALM PCB, a RECO PCB variation for those who for some reason can’t use RECO in their setup.

PALM PCB works like a NeoGeo controller passthrough, but with some extra flavour.

Features
  • Utilizes extended NeoGeo controller pinout.
  • Full button remapping. 6 button inputs and 6 fully configurable outputs.
  • Autofire with 6 different autofire rates to choose from.
  • A built-in coin mechanism emulator. This means that even if you press and hold down the coin button on the joypad, there will be only one short signal sent to the JAMMA PCB. This is purely a safety measure to prevent a random PCB reset, holding the coin button for too long may cause the coin mechanism error (happens in Batrider) and result in game restart.
    New button layout and autofire settings are saved and stored in the microcontroller’s internal memory and stay in the memory even after disconnecting PALM PCB.
  • Status LED.
  • Lagless.

The idea came when I realized it’s impossible to use RECO PCB with some consolized MVS/PGM units as they often have the JAMMA edge enclosed. This form of PCB is actually identical to the very first RECO prototype – during development phase, RECO was just a simple breakout board with DB15 input on one end and the output on the other end.

How is this different or better than traditional autofire circuits? Because paired with button remapping feature, it gives way more options. Imagine that you play Metal Slug, you set autofire for shot - cool, but then you pick up a weapon you’d rather save, but hey - you have autofire enabled. With PALM PCB you can clone buttons, so let’s say you map A to the physical buttons A and D, but enable autofire only for one of them, leaving the other button as “vanilla A” and use it in situations when autofire isn’t exactly desired.

Operation

Button configuration mode

1. Press and hold down two arbitrary buttons and the START button for 3 or more seconds. After 3 seconds the status LED on the board will light up and buttons will no longer register – this means PALM PCB has entered the buttons remapping mode and you can release the buttons.

2. Right after you release the last of the buttons held down, you can set a new button layout by pressing buttons.

3. Each press of a button corresponds to the JAMMA button number. If you press a button once, it will be JAMMA button 1, twice - button 2, thrice - button 3, it works up to button 6. The seventh press disables the button; the eighth press starts the countdown over. No button press means the button will not be set.
Additionally, each press of a button is indicated be the status LED blink.

4. To exit the button configuration mode and save your new layout, press the START button.

Side note: Every time you access this mode, your previous layout will be erased and you will need to set your layout anew. This is an easy and fast way to reset your settings.

Autofire mode
  • Press and hold down one arbitrary button and the START button for 3 or more seconds. After 3 seconds the status LED on the board will light up and buttons will no longer register – this means PALM PCB has entered the autofire mode and you can release the buttons.
  • Right after you release the last of the buttons held down, you can enable the autofire feature by pressing buttons.
  • Each press of a button corresponds to the autofire rate.
  • One press -> 1/2 of ~60Hz,
  • Two presses -> 1/3 of ~60Hz,
  • Three presses -> 1/4 of ~60Hz,
  • Four presses -> 1/6 of ~60Hz,
  • Five presses -> 1/8 of ~60Hz,
  • Six presses -> 1/10 of ~60Hz,
  • The seventh press disables autofire; the eighth press starts the countdown over. No button press means the autofire will not be set.
Additionally, each press of a button is indicated be the status LED blink.

4. To exit the autofire mode and save the settings, press the START button.

Side note: Just like in the button remapping mode, your previous autofire settings are being erased the moment you access the autofire mode. Consequently, if you want to reset all autofire settings, just enter the autofire mode and exit it without pressing any button.

Installation
  • Make sure your supergun / consolized system is OFF.
  • Plug in the PALM PCB to the controller port and then plug in the controller to PALM PCB.
  • Power on the supergun / consolized system.
  • If everything works correctly, the status LED will blink rapidly for a second on the supergun start-up.

Last edited:
Still in stock. PALM PCB is the easiest way to have a fully remappable button layout + autofire in your supergun or CMVS! :)

Last edited:
Anybody interested in a version that could fit in an arcade stick (with screw terminals or/and XH headers)? :)

I am very interested! I like the xh header better. Since the pcb size is small... can I get it?

Is it possible to assign autofire to just one button?

Absolutely. You can even clone buttons, and have one on autofire and one regular. I don't want to be an ass, but read the op :p Metal Slug is even mentioned!

Any change you have one of these laying around somewhere? :D We are having ChoRenSha68K score game this month and my Smallcabs stick does not have autofire... This game if any really could use it ||

IMG_1829.jpeg

Or if not, can someone point me to a similar product that is available? Would need to be either MSX /68K or DB15/NeoGeo adapter.

Back