Sega Ringedge 2 questions on obtaining systems, disks, etc.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sega Ringedge 2 questions on obtaining systems, disks, etc.

Hello arcade projects,

I have recently gotten into the whole arcade scene, and wanted to do something. So, IO decided to get my own cabinet. Now, i've been looking for a specific game, UNIST or Under Night in Birth Late ST, and have had no luck. A majority of the information I have gotten is what system it runs on, and thats really it. I have been unable to find a DVD / CD for the ringedge, only rom dumps and emulation tactics. But I would love to keep this as authentic as possible in terms of the hardware. I will be making my own cabinet, I just need the internals and such. I can't seem to find any reliable information on what I would really need, other than coming up with my own conclusions on what I would need to make it work. I have browsed the threads, and from what I understand, there is a person on here named android who is the guy who can help me? If anyone has his information, or can help, please contact me here.

I appreciate it!
    • Android can sell you a service where he puts copyrighted content on a drive for you and keeps track of your keychip information, or at least he used to... It's pretty very much illegal and too new for this site's content anyway.

It'd be easier and cheaper to just keep your eye on Yahoo Auctions Japan for a while. It'll pop up.

You need a Ringedge, the disk, keychip, a JVS IO, and that's about it aside from a bunch of wire and connectors.

Really though, the Ringedge is a PC running windows. So emulation isn't even emulation, it's just running the game. The only thing that gets emulated is the JVS controls. There's *almost* no point in running real hardware.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • I am not sure the arcade version of ST is out there. Maybe you can get lucky and scour Yahoo Auctions Japan for a ringedge2 running it. It may have only been available through the all.net service, digital downloads in Japan for arcade operators. That is a subscription service, so when the ops are done with the games the they always return the keychip so they don’t keep getting charged for it. That’s probably why you don’t see any of them for sale.

A noble pursuit that I do support, but you may be better off buying a vewlix or other hd cab and throwing in a playstation or pc underneath the hood.

you can 100% get Under Night in birth (not late or st) on a ringedge or ringedge2 though
      multis: cps* ttx2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: some conversions, some repairs
    • rewrite wrote:

Android can sell you a service where he puts copyrighted content on a drive for you and keeps track of your keychip information, or at least he used to... It's pretty very much illegal and too new for this site's content anyway.

It'd be easier and cheaper to just keep your eye on Yahoo Auctions Japan for a while. It'll pop up.

You need a Ringedge, the disk, keychip, a JVS IO, and that's about it aside from a bunch of wire and connectors.

Really though, the Ringedge is a PC running windows. So emulation isn't even emulation, it's just running the game. The only thing that gets emulated is the JVS controls. There's *almost* no point in running real hardware.
      Oh okay so I should definitely not do that illegally. Anyways, the issue I've found is unist is on steam, but I want a stripped down version that automatically starts it on boot without having anything in the way. Bonus points if I can run it on Linux too. I'll have to keep watch and see if one poos up on Japanese auction. Thank you for the info.
    • ekorz wrote:

I am not sure the arcade version of ST is out there. Maybe you can get lucky and scour Yahoo Auctions Japan for a ringedge2 running it. It may have only been available through the all.net service, digital downloads in Japan for arcade operators. That is a subscription service, so when the ops are done with the games the they always return the keychip so they don’t keep getting charged for it. That’s probably why you don’t see any of them for sale.

A noble pursuit that I do support, but you may be better off buying a vewlix or other hd cab and throwing in a playstation or pc underneath the hood.

you can 100% get Under Night in birth (not late or st) on a ringedge or ringedge2 though
      That's where a majority of that information stops. The wiki says something about the all net service, but nothing else that I saw. From reading here, it did look like someone had a post about not requiring the allnet service to actually run the game, which if that's true, I should be able to run it without issue. But I'm going of just what I have read. Thank you for the information tho!
    • pupperbot wrote:

rewrite wrote:

Android can sell you a service where he puts copyrighted content on a drive for you and keeps track of your keychip information, or at least he used to... It's pretty very much illegal and too new for this site's content anyway.

Oh okay so I should definitely not do that illegally. Anyways, the issue I've found is unist is on steam, but I want a stripped down version that automatically starts it on boot without having anything in the way. Bonus points if I can run it on Linux too. I'll have to keep watch and see if one poos up on Japanese auction. Thank you for the info.
      You'd have to run wine or something to get it on Linux. The game runs on windows on the Ringedge to begin with. If someone has dumped it (I don't follow fighting games, honestly), running that on any windows box would be path of least resistance.

That or create a batch script for startup that just boots the steam version.

At least until you get lucky on YAJ and then crack all.net authentication.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • There is literally no reason to go through all the hoops and headaches, of which there are many, to run UNIST off RE2 compared to simply buying it on Steam and moving on with your day. Launching a program on boot with Windows is trivial, and it sounds like that's the only part you're concerned about. Linux is a non option really, it's a Windows game through and through, the arcade version is just embedded Windows with a bunch of dumb DRM nonsense, nothing special.

Frankly if that's the game you really love though I'd save yourself even those headaches and just put a PS4 in there and run from that. Because UNICLR is coming soon and doesn't have a PC port announcement yet, so the only way you'll be able to play the latest version for a while is off console. New character, new stage, tons of new moves, it's going to be adopted quickly by the UNIST players.
    • Cheveuxlongs wrote:

No spare version nor physical versions for games available on the re2 multi. You need the multi re2, the jvs io, the red keyship and.... A connection to sega aime servers =)
      People claim it runs without a connection to all.net so there is that at least.

My vote is for the steam version as well. I have some RE2 stuff sitting here I have been playing with and it gets expensive very quickly and like others have stated all it is is a glorified pc.

In contrast I have a gateway h57 machine that is very similar to RE2 (q57) hardware i got for free on recycling day that would probably run RE2 games off of steam just fine.
    • New

UNIST exists only in digital form of a download for the PRas.
      You can get it online without any restrictions, still it is delivered as an encrypted container, you should have a key.

dist.***********.net/data/SDCM/SDCM_3_00_00.original
      dist.***********.net/data/SDCM/SDCM_3_30_00.patch

AllNet P-Ras runs fine without Aime connection.
      The downside is that redchip has a timebomb, it has "playcount" variable, which is increased towards "playlimit" each credit spent.
      Once it reaches "playlimit" it would show you Aime timeout error instead of launching the Multi.
      Difference between playcount and playlimit is usually around 200-300 credits, depends when the machine (or actually keychip) lost network.

Every RingEdge2 hardware-wise is the same as RingEdge2 Multi,
      Multi platform would check machine's EEPROM for correct game_ID AND machine serial number, which is different series between RE2 and RE2 Multi.

All these has been defeated.
      EEPROM can be updated with "correct data" for game and serial (and even region, if you wish).
      Redchip is also perfectly emulated already.

This is just for education, I do not plan to release anything public, nor I sell any "services" or hardware.

*replace stars with apmDOTsysDASHall
      I believe sharing "world open" links is ok.
      Images
      • 2019-11-11 16.57.24.jpg

205.59 kB, 1,280×960, viewed 15 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by ArcadeMachinist ().

• New

Coyo5050 wrote:

Are there other places that describe this in more detail, pm prob be better due to the type of info.
      No such places exist, or I'm unaware of them.

For the record, this is the Catalog of games, included with current APM.

Using known version numbers and URLs above you can download all them, but I don't see a single reason to do that without obtaining the keys first.
      SBYN is "Arcade Love"
      SBJZ is "Caladrius AC"
      SDAF is "Blade Arcus"
      SDEF is "Blade Strangers"

No, I'm not giving out any instructions or keys.

Please support the developers by buying the games on Steam.
      (or Switch, SDEF is available on Switch)
      Images
      • APM_Catalog.jpg

125.85 kB, 699×613, viewed 20 times

The post was edited 2 times, last by ArcadeMachinist ().