What's new
Just an update... Everything is looking good, but I thought I’d pay my crt-initiation-dues and do the whole purity and static convergence thing while I had it up on the bench.

So far it’s a pretty neat process and not at all awful like I was expecting. Except fuck these corners to hell.
yup, good luck with the corners, pita for sure. That has had to be single most annoying issue to get correct on the blast.

YRLChao_d.jpg

Thanks for the help all! It’s never looked better (and is now appropriately quiet)!

Glad everything worked out and that picture is looking good. Those factory convergence strips have seen better days.

I think this is what's wrong with my tube I got with my blast. I think one of bvb those metal things is inside my yoke. But I cant take the rings off they are glued on tight.

Anyone suggest a method on how to loosen my rings.

Oh hey. So I was looking at the yoke and heard a small rattle. Shook it a bit and another one of those metal pieces came loose from the same spot.

1xQyFlW_d.jpg

Then I shook it some more and a third popped out.

Guess what doesn’t buzz anymore?

what the heck are these things??
i found exactly the same thing on the floor of my blast when i cleaned it - now i know where this belongs to...

i really have the feeling i have to recap the whole monitor, tbh i'm a little bit scared since there quite a lot of caps on there... (i have the 2930 btw...)

but great you got everything in order again. ^^

While it wasn't quite where I thought it was, its a very good lesson.

I'll have to check mine next time I have the monitor out.

Also I have to say, static convergence was a real nerve wracking pain... until I put tape over the green jamma rail. Then it’s way easier to line up red and blue in isolation with the middle rings. Get it nice and perfectly purple, then add back in green and use the last set of rings to nail that green/magenta ratio.

if anyone could tell me how to loosen the rings from the yellow paint glue I'd be much appreciated

I just took the whole set off the neck first, and slowly worked them apart one at a time, one set at a time. It helped to pull them slightly perpendicular to the direction they rotate, to break the paint. But the yellow paint is just paint, I don’t think it’s glue. Eventually you get a little bit of freedom and they turn.

Unscrew both retaining ring screws. The yoke has one. The convergence rings have one.

dont think I can slide the yoke over the rings can i?
nglt1Cg_d.jpg

So last time I gave you monitor advice yours broke...

I unscrewed the two retainer rings marked in red, then I slid off the convergence rings, then the yoke. Ain't no way you're going to get that yoke off over the convergence rings, it's not like it comes apart or anything.

Ya my rings will have to be loosened some how when I have time I'll take some pictures. Ya I know of the bolts that's how I straightened the yoke the first time I got it.

The chassis that popped needed servicing anyways.

I'm down 2 2930s and 1 2931. Luckily no flyback issues but I need to rejuvenate 1 tube that has a short.

got it off finally. Was much easier than expected. Its definitely been off before as there was no papers and some of the windings are all squirly

On this picture I sorta moved wires back on 1 side but I stopped to show picture

Attachments

• received_404901590183005.jpeg
    received_404901590183005.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 231
The yoke is almost always what buzzes, since it's a little chamber of changing magnetic energy. Often these correction strips and the material that they are attached with go brittle and crack over time. Most Blast monitors end up with horrible convergence because the original strips have just gone brittle and fallen out - I have found shreds of the original strips just lying on top of my chassis as a result.

Every yoke I've had that buzzed was easily fixed with some cleaning, removal of old strips, application of new strips, and reinstallation. One thing I've not tried is impregnating it with the stuff they use on transformer windings, which finds its way in there with capillary action very effectively.

i did my recap last weekend, but tbh i wasn't comfortable (yet) with removing the yoke...

recapping and recalibrating the monitor already was a great improvement, but i still need to deal with the corners...

The yoke is almost always what buzzes, since it's a little chamber of changing magnetic energy. Often these correction strips and the material that they are attached with go brittle and crack over time. Most Blast monitors end up with horrible convergence because the original strips have just gone brittle and fallen out - I have found shreds of the original strips just lying on top of my chassis as a result.

Every yoke I've had that buzzed was easily fixed with some cleaning, removal of old strips, application of new strips, and reinstallation. One thing I've not tried is impregnating it with the stuff they use on transformer windings, which finds its way in there with capillary action very effectively.
@Hatsune Mike
do you know what Kind of impregnating stuff they use for the transformer windings?
And which material do you use for convergence strips? in one tutorial i found the guy saying he uses pieces of the carpet cutter knives.

Back