What's new
I don't get where .bin files come in here, I use a complied hex file with top and it works fine.
The bin files come from the decap of the original device. It's a binary copy of what was written to the FLASH.
I didn't even realize you could dump or program PIC chips with BIN files. I use BIN for eproms, JED for GAL chips, and HEX for PIC chips.

I modified the decompiled source, compiled it to HEX with MPLAB, and I program that compiled hex code to the PIC chips. I've made a lot of PICs for both CF and netboot this way.

I didn't even realize you could dump or program PIC chips with BIN files. I use BIN for eproms, JED for GAL chips, and HEX for PIC chips.
I modified the decompiled source, compiled it to HEX with MPLAB, and I program that compiled hex code to the PIC chips. I've made a lot of PICs for both CF and netboot this way.
HEX files are just a textual representation of the binary image with optional compression, specific load addresses and a checksum on the end. If you load the hex file in your programmer and look in the "buffer" you will see the resultant binary file.

There are tools which can convert between the formats typically called: bin2hex and hex2bin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX

OK guys, let's go back on track please... and remember what Mits and Dark always say :)

c5d03ca49cd4a8aadaa5a94e2ff07c818c5e584a92e2ea97ef990116b63ea568.jpg

Quiz time, which one is Mits and which one is Dark :thumbsup: Dont let you fool by the hair color 8o

well for whatever reason this continues to be a tough nut to crack. @rtw I got your 2k BIN to burn, but had to configure the settings that got imported by default (somewhere I'd read that with a BIN that didn't matter, but I guess I misread... it seems to matter). Thanks for the new file. It worked with Gigawing2, but sadly it had black-screen with KoF XI (atomiswave). I ran out of time for more comprehensive testing... this boot process takes a while.

I took a BIN of the pic @skate323k137 sent me, attached, which I think he compiled himself from all those online sources and instructions, and it seems to work with Gigawing2 and KoF XI. I can't get Neo Geo Colliseum to work with it, but I can't get it to work with rtw's either. I do notice it's 4k, and rtw yours was 2k, I'm not sure what you did with the original 17k file to reduce it but maybe that had an effect?

Certainly a lot of this could just be on me, and my Top3000, and the chinglish UI. eeproms are so much more straightforward! I was using the same naomi, bios, and physical pic chip the whole time fwiw.

Attachments

• net_pic.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
@ekorz I'll let the experts confirm this, but AFAIK the pic has no influence on the fact that some games work or don't. It just provides the keys to the DIMM that must be used to decrypt the game and answers to load commands from net or GDRom.

If one keychip works for you loading from GDRom, that keychip is good for all games loaded from GDRom as long as they are prepared for Zero Key (decrypted).

If NGBC doenst work, try a different BIOS and make sure that you got the latest version posted in this thread.

@ekorz I'll let the experts confirm this, but AFAIK the pic has no influence on the fact that some games work or don't. It just provides the keys to the DIMM that must be used to decrypt the game and answers to load commands from net or GDRom.

If one keychip works for you loading from GDRom, that keychip is good for all games loaded from GDRom as long as they are prepared for Zero Key (decrypted).

If NGBC doenst work, try a different BIOS and make sure that you got the latest version posted in this thread.
Yeah, it's weird. Inconsistent. I have at least one working chip. I'm just going to keep using the chip that gives me no issues and put in my vote for a DS Naomi Multi Cart.

Using what I think is the latest bios - 21576H. Just verified it against the 1st post link anyway. @Darksoft NG Coliseum doesn't require a specific region does it?

Last edited:
Oh, wow. I was wondering if the Naomi version of VOOT 2000 had been dumped/hacked. Maybe now I can finally play this version in my VOOT cabinet with a couple of NetDIMM setups.

Does it work for linked play? EDIT: sounds like TwistedSymphony already confirmed this.

Last edited:
house of the dead 2 works on other revision, not just revA.
We did a bunch of testing. On a standard Naomi, loading HOTD2 will boot but it's unplayable because it runs extremely slowly and has massive gfx issues. The interesting thing is that I decased my netDIMM and installed it in my HOTD2 pcb and netbooted the game and it runs EXACTLY the same as it did on the normal Naomi. So it may just be a bios thing after all.
With a little bit of help of one of our members, I created this version of HOT2. Can you guys give it a go and let me know if it works on your Naomi?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qsyfgj84ajaxttg/Gdrom_HOTD2_v3.7z

Tested this on a NAOMI2 with CF-Card loading and EUR BIOS.

Something is wrong with the drawing logic, only the background furthest away is drawn and not the foreground.

One more thing it moves very slow.

edit: video shot and sent to @Darksoft

Last edited:
Tested this on a NAOMI2 with CF-Card loading and EUR BIOS.

Something is wrong with the drawing logic, only the background furthest away is drawn and not the foreground.

One more thing it moves very slow.

edit: video shot and sent to @Darksoft
Yes, you are right. No big improvement. I need to dig this further...

Do you need something ?
I have a genuine working HoD2 cab with its PCB and ROM board.

rtw, I don't think HOTD2 will ever work on a Naomi2. From the reading I've done, HOTD2 only runs on the Naomi 1 motherboards from the first generation. From segaretro.org: "After The House of the Dead 2, a newer revision of the PowerVR2 graphics chip was used in subsequent NAOMI systems".

The other way to tell if your Naomi will run HOTD2 is whether it has IC61 populated. This chip is located to the upper right corner of the onboard fan. I have two Naomi 1's right now, both labeled 'made in Japan' and one of them has IC61 populated (and the surrounding passive components), the other does not. There's just an empty space where the chip and related components would be, not even the pads to solder a chip on.

A friend helped me make a dual boot gun game Naomi and funny enough, I have just recently begun working on a new project with it. It's a first gen mobo from a metal case that I transplanted into a plastic case. It has a HOTD2 bios with a Japan H bios soldered on top and both wired to a switch (there's a little more work to it than that actually). Flip the switch one way and it will play a genuine HOTD2 rom board that I put in a cart shell, flip the switch the other way and it plays the other four gun games via net DIMM and compact flash adapter.

That being said I just tried the above file with that Naomi, switched to JapH bios and net DIMM, and got super excited to see it actually boot but it also had graphics issues and seemed to reset itself when I added coins.

If I'm wrong about only certain mobos being capable of running HOTD2, someone please chime in. If it is definitely true, then the testing could at least be narrowed down to those with the correct boards to eliminate false results and false hopes of those without early mobos.

having issues with Virtual-On ( vonot ) ( cf booting , naomi1 + H bios ) ( jamma/jvs io )

game boots and but quickly kicks me to naomi service menu
JVS input test works fine
if I try to go to the vonot test menu, any inputs are mega laggy ( even test/service menu buttons )
if I exit , the game boots , looks/sounds great, but no control works ( not even the reset/test push buttons on the naomi mobo ! )

I just got done building a panel so I'm pretty bummed out..

does it work for anyone ???

having issues with Virtual-On ( vonot ) ( cf booting , naomi1 + H bios ) ( jamma/jvs io )

JVS input test works fine
if I try to go to the vonot test menu, any inputs are mega laggy ( even test/service menu buttons )
if I exit , the game boots , looks/sounds great, but no control works ( not even the reset/test push buttons on the naomi mobo ! )

I just got done building a panel so I'm pretty bummed out..

does it work for anyone ???
Fuckin bummer dude. If I can find some time later I'll try to boot it and test with normal 2p panel

aving issues with Virtual-On ( vonot ) ( cf booting , naomi1 + H bios ) ( jamma/jvs io )

If you're using the Sega JAMMA/JVS IO you must have the jumper in the "B" position. VOOT wont boot unless the JVS IO has outputs available for the start button lamp.

IIRC it worked fine with the JAMMA JVS IO when I tested it (and I did some good testing because I was playing around with the billboard output, and using the Sega JAMMA JVS IO to do it).

If that doesn't fix it I'd suspect it might be a CF issue, I've never tried this game on CF, only netboot and original cart.

Back