What's new
Keep in mind I replaced the bios on the Rev A pcb with a netbootable bios. The system had no trouble booting with it. I'm pretty sure I tried HOTD2 bios on normal Naomi and it would not boot.

Ninja Assault will not boot to test menu or game unless it sees the gun board. In addition it needs a special BIOS version if not the screen is too bright.

NAOMI1:
21576D - OK
21576E - OK
21576G - BAD

NAOMI2:
23605 - OK
23605A - OK
23605B - OK
23605C - BAD

Now if someone can sell me a gun which works on the NAOMI with an LCD screen I would be very happy :D

and i tried hotd2 bios and original game on an revD and worked
That I didn't try. So getting the game to work would need a new BIOS written that allows it to boot from a DIMM. Not an easy task for sure. So many people love that game that they would be a legend if they did it. So I guess converting a different game's cart to HOTD2 and using it on a normal Naomi is an option then.

BTW--I'm thinking that Touken Retsuden 4 and Gun Survivor both need more work. Both game files are above 256mb and I'm pretty sure they both should be below that. Touken Retsuden 4 does not work at all. Gun Survivor 2 will load three times, then give you error 21. If you go into the test menu at this point and attempt to enter the game menu the game will boot and play.

it worked ? its not possible.
older NAOMI bioses (NAOMI1 rev A,B,C and the one used in hotd2) require mainboard s/n eeprom to be x76f100 (secured one).
newer bioses (rev D and later) supports both x76f100 or common 93c46 eeproms.

as you may know hotd2 mobo have x76f100 eeprom, so it will work with any bios version, but newer "rev.d" mobos have 93c46 so it won't work with "old" bios versions.

I'm thinking that Touken Retsuden 4 and Gun Survivor both need more work
heh, probably

Both game files are above 256mb and I'm pretty sure they both should be below that.
source files size doesn't matter, but does their layout ;)
you can see my notes/docs about NAOMI cartridges layout (including Namco's) there -
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/machine/naomim2.cpp#L19

and layouts of this particular games here
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.cpp#L6187
and here
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.cpp#L6303

and btw, both .bin files is *exact* 256MB in size

Yeah and these are over 260mb so give a size error when trying to netboot but on CF kit don't give an error but just try to load three times and then error out with error 21. With Gunsurvivor you can enter the test mode and then boot the game by selecting the Game test menu. Toukon Retsuden 4 just doesn't work.

@Mitsurugi-w
MB = 1024*1024 bytes you know :D
so 268 435 456 bytes is exact 256MB
Ok. You are telling me it is less than 256MB. So why is it telling me the size is too large to netboot then? Do the files actually need to be a bit less. The largest other game I see is 245,000KB. It netboots fine. So I'm guessing they do need to be smaller.

Ok. You are telling me it is less than 256MB. So why is it telling me the size is too large to netboot then? Do the files actually need to be a bit less. The largest other game I see is 245,000KB. It netboots fine. So I'm guessing they do need to be smaller.
Which program is telling you that it is too big ? TransferGame.exe ?

I'm using transfergame but the Naomi itself is telling me the file is too big.

This is the conversion I have from HOT2. Please test and let me know if it works for any of you...

It takes almost a minute with black screen before it loads. Don't panic just wait.

mediafire.com/download/5dej5th6n521h7l/Gdrom_HOTD2_v2.7z
This is one I tested over a year ago. If you test it by netbooting you will see the issues pretty quickly. It acts the same on both the HOTD2 pcb and the newer pcbs.

Ok. You are telling me it is less than 256MB. So why is it telling me the size is too large to netboot then?
I suspect there is some bugs in DIMM firmware, so it goes crazy if DIMM RAM size and game size equal (i.e. both 256MB in this case)

can anyone please test Gunsurvivor2 and/or Toukon4 binaries on 512MB DIMM ?

PS: I'm pretty sure Transfergame.exe itself supports such big files, because there is real netboot games (World Club Champion Football) exceeds 256MB and it works fine.

it worked ? its not possible.older NAOMI bioses (NAOMI1 rev A,B,C and the one used in hotd2) require mainboard s/n eeprom to be x76f100 (secured one).
newer bioses (rev D and later) supports both x76f100 or common 93c46 eeproms.

as you may know hotd2 mobo have x76f100 eeprom, so it will work with any bios version, but newer "rev.d" mobos have 93c46 so it won't work with "old" bios versions.

I'm thinking that Touken Retsuden 4 and Gun Survivor both need more work
heh, probably
Both game files are above 256mb and I'm pretty sure they both should be below that.
source files size doesn't matter, but does their layout ;) you can see my notes/docs about NAOMI cartridges layout (including Namco's) there -
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/machine/naomim2.cpp#L19

and layouts of this particular games here
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.cpp#L6187
and here
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.cpp#L6303

and btw, both .bin files is *exact* 256MB in size
Well,im not 100% sure from now about revD (and my main Naomi is an read) but I'm sure to have tested it on different motherboard and it worked
About serial number eeprom you're talking about ic31right?
But for sure, I own an original hotd2 with metal case etc... And motherboard is an revA

My working test of GS2 was on a 512 NetDimm on a Naomi 2 with multi-BIOS (switched on Japanese), I use TransferGame and a NetBoot PIC.

How do you know Naomi version B, C or D ? Is there several Naomi 2 revisions, too ?

How do you know Naomi version B, C or D ? Is there several Naomi 2 revisions, too ?
it doesn't really matters, but it important which EEPROM type used.
HOTD2 and rev A-C NAOMI1 BIOSes require X76F100 (not populated on pic below)

naomi_eeprom.png

My working test of GS2 was on a 512 NetDimm on a Naomi 2 with multi-BIOS (switched on Japanese), I use TransferGame and a NetBoot PIC.
thanks.
in such case I tend to think my initial assumptions was correct - there is some bugs in DIMM firmware (or NAOMI BIOS), so 256MB game binaries makes it crazy if DIMM RAM size is 256MB

Last edited:
I'm using transfergame but the Naomi itself is telling me the file is too big.
I get the exact same error on my Pi-Force-Tools setup. the game transfers fine and once it gets to the end of the transfer the NAOMI throws an error that the DIMM is out of memory. This happens on a few other larger games as well: Melty Blood Actress Again and Senko no Ronde New Version.

I've ordered some new memory DIMMs to bump up my DIMM board to 512 to test these.

BTW, gun games can be playable by using gun2naomi from my friend aganyte
I've seen that project. but I don't think that will do anything to solve the problem of Ninja Assault needing a special JVS I/O board like the one I posed above. it works completely different than all of the other NAOMI gun games.

The only solution I can think of to make it work would be to build your own custom JVS I/O that looks like the special Namco board and allow it to accept and interpret inputs from an analog device such as your friend's Gun2NAOMI setup or the original Type 2 IR, or mounted guns.

but we'd still need to develop that special piece of hardware to make it work.

Now if someone can sell me a gun which works on the NAOMI with an LCD screen I would be very happy
The official gun setup for everything BUT Ninja Assault will work with an LCD. Ninja Assault is the only game that needs CRT Guns, all the other games use IR guns that will work with any screen. You can see my setup here: Shooting Gallery: Sega Type-II IR on a 108" front projection setup. This setup work with Model 3, Chihiro, and Lindbergh as well.

Last edited:
BTW, gun games can be playable by using gun2naomi from my friend aganyte
I've seen that project. but I don't think that will do anything to solve the problem of Ninja Assault needing a special JVS I/O board like the one I posed above. it works completely different than all of the other NAOMI gun games.
The only solution I can think of to make it work would be to build your own custom JVS I/O that looks like the special Namco board and allow it to accept and interpret inputs from an analog device such as your friend's Gun2NAOMI setup or the original Type 2 IR, or mounted guns.

but we'd still need to develop that special piece of hardware to make it work.
yes,or faking it.
a lots of works for thoses days

Back