What's new
@Hydreigon Dude!!! Coming in clutch with the extra information. Very Nice!!!!

Namco is no longer selling the shells, I just checked the website. I used to work parts for Player One Amusement Group, and we had a fair stock, but who knows what they've gone through now. Those parts are NOT cheap for new shells though.

Personally I have 8 guns, in pretty solid shape, so I'm covered for the rest of my life, plus some.

Namco is no longer selling the shells, I just checked the website. I used to work parts for Player One Amusement Group, and we had a fair stock, but who knows what they've gone through now. Those parts are NOT cheap for new shells though.
This completely sucks. I guess it may be the end of the first generation Namco recoil guns.

Maybe end of the era for original stuff. But the knock offs are pretty good: https://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/shooting_parts.html

“NAMED” instead of “NAMCO”. A bit cheap on the wiring and hose if you get the full gun.
That link has original ones too, only $480 USD!!! On sale now for $280! LOL

There is a guy on KLOV selling the slide (blue and pink) NOS with NAMCO on it, that's what I did, I will buy the "NAMED" gun, and swap the slides for NAMCO ones.

Those $280 ones aren’t original despite what they say

@ekorz Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been doing more research about Time Crisis and wanted to respond to this message you wrote

> There is no JVS i/o. It's just the v291 gun board. Test and service buttons run to it, and the v291 connects into the usb port on the 246.

Time Crisis 2 and onwards does use JVS. It doesn't use the same physical connector, but it does use the correct protocol - you can see in the wiring of the connector the RS485 lines. In the setup menu on Time Crisis 2 you can see the IO board name, written in the same way as any other Namco JVS IO would.

I don't know if anyone else knows different, but I dare say that the System 23 was the first to use JVS?

I'm glad the gun IO reports it's board name, and uses JVS protocol to do so, but I don't think anyone would refer to it as JVS IO. I guess I'm wrong if you call it that! When most people say "JVS IO" they mean something from here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS

Additionally Time Crisis 3, which we're talking about here, runs on Namco 246/256 which otherwise does use a traditional JVS IO that plugs into a pinned connector on the side. So when you asked about faking the JVS IO, that's what I thought you meant. For TC3 you don't use that normal Namco JVS IO. You use the... uh... Gun IO that reports itself with JVS protocol and plugs into the USB port.

How does Time Crisis 2 and 3 report the gun position over JVS?

I'm curious if the Mega JVS IO could be used to translate this to analog positions for use with the Sega IR guns.

Ah I see what you mean - from my point of view any IO that talks the JVS IO protocol is a JVS IO, but I admit I'm coming from a more technical stand point than your adverage user.

I wasn't trying to argue, I just thought it would be useful to document that even though different connectors are used etc. TC2, TC3 and TC4 all use the same JVS protocol for their IO signals, and so can all be emulated in the same way.

I would also dare say that seeing as TC3 supports both the Rays PCB and the other "Gun IO", it's very possible TC2 would support the RAYS as well.

cool, now that we have semantics out of the way -- go hack the shit out of it!

How does Time Crisis 2 and 3 report the gun position over JVS?

I'm curious if the Mega JVS IO could be used to translate this to analog positions for use with the Sega IR guns.
Just like @bobbydilley says over JVS using the command 0x25 screen pos. The NAMCO IO aggregates the gun position into a coordinate system.

Now the snag is that in order to emulate this in any way we need to "record" the data stream coming from the NAMCO IO.

Which means go into calibration on each game, shoot in the upper left corner, save recording, upper right, save recording etc etc.

In order to use this with SEGA guns, you would need to read analogue in, and map the 0-5V into the coordinate system appropriate for the IO/GAME you are trying to "emulate"

@twistedsymphony Appologies, I missed your message.

Like @rtw has said, it'll communicate using the 0x25 screen position capabilitiy, where (0,0) is supposed to be bottom left.

On Ninja Assault (which uses the same general technique) I have used different numbers of bits for the screen input data, and fliped the Y axis around and it will still successfully calibrate and allow you to play, so hopefully Time Crisis 2+ is also not picky.

If you wanted to look at implementing it for Mega JVS the Ninja Assault IO definition is here:

https://github.com/OpenJVS/OpenJVS/blob/master/include/io.h#L182

And the code that responds to that command is here:

https://github.com/OpenJVS/OpenJVS/blob/master/src/jvs.c#L453

From the Time Crisis 2 Manual, I can see that the IO String / name is probably this (although note I may have got the capitals wrong).
Code:
namco ltd.;TSS-I/O;Ver2.02;JPN,GUN_EXTENTION
It may be a case of just implementing capability 0x25 like is done for Ninja Assault and changing the IO string to the above one.

This document (I'm not sure who to credit for it) shows the connector pin outs for all of the Time Crisis games: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...GDE3IFz4MCE_YEhTc/edit#heading=h.e74327pnxh0m

If you manage to have a go I would be really interested in knowing how you get on - unforunately I've not been able to find a TC2 or TC3 board for a good price over here in the UK. The only one online currently is £120 for TC2, and it's untested so is a risky bet!

There is also the "v221 MIU" pcb also used in Crisis Zone, Time Crisis 3 and Vampire Night. This pcb may be a "mix" of "Gun IO" and "Rays" possibly because of how these cabs were set up from the factory. MIU came in 29" cabs and Rays came in 50" cabs; both of which used a CCD camera mounted somewhere in the cab and an IR emitter from the gun to track gun inputs.

Source code for the MIU pcb is labeled as "MIU-I/O;Ver2.05;JPN,GUN-EXTENTION".

@Hydreigon Hey boss....I always thought I knew a ton about TC2/3's....until I met you...its like you were a tech for Namco/Speedys....your knowledge on these is awesome.

I have a question....I remember the Vampire Night's that I worked on, being a light optic, with lens similar to the common Tc2/3 versions, but using a different I/O, with a different gun pinout. It's the one used in the mirrored stock cabs.

Did I get that wrong, and there were multiple versions, some that were IR, and some that were normal lightguns?

@Hydreigon Hey boss....I always thought I knew a ton about TC2/3's....until I met you...its like you were a tech for Namco/Speedys....your knowledge on these is awesome.

I have a question....I remember the Vampire Night's that I worked on, being a light optic, with lens similar to the common Tc2/3 versions, but using a different I/O, with a different gun pinout. It's the one used in the mirrored stock cabs.

Did I get that wrong, and there were multiple versions, some that were IR, and some that were normal lightguns?
Vampire Night only used v221 MIU (29" cabs) or JVS Rays (50" cabs); all CCD camera guns. No version of Vampire Night even used optical guns. Going back to the manuals of Crisis Zone, Vampire Night and Time Crisis 3, it looks like the wiring configurations for the I/O pcbs are all different but gun and CCD camera connectors are the same:
  • JVS connector: XH-5P. Same pinout across all.
  • Power connector: VH-6P. Same pinout across.
  • CCD Camera connector: Mini AMP 6P: Same pinout across all
  • EI 7P: Only Vampire Night uses this connector. Pin 1 drives player 2's LED emitter on both MIU and Rays. Pin 5 on the Rays connects to an additional sensor only specific to 50" cabinets (that I have yet to determine its function but would seem to detect if there are objects near the camera).
  • Main input connector: Mini 9P: Has different wiring and functions across all for the first six pins:
    • Pin 1 input: Solenoid or motor for Crisis Zone and Time Crisis 3 and not used in Vampire Night.
    • Pin 2 input: Gun LED emitter for Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone and player 1's emitter for Vampire Night.
    • Pin 4 input: main gun trigger or player 1's trigger for Vampire Night.
    • Pin 5 input: Motor error for Crisis Zone, the Rays specific sensor for Time Crisis 3 DX or player 2's trigger for Vampire Night, MIU and Rays.
    • Pin 6 input: Rays specific sensor for Crisis Zone DX (not used in Crisis Zone SD), pedal for Time Crisis 3 or player 2 start button for Vampire Night
  • Pedal connector: EI 4P: Has different wiring and functions across all:
    • Crisis Zone uses pin input 1 for the pedal and has pins 3 and 4 bridged (both pcbs).
    • Time Crisis 3 uses pins 1 and 3 to determine the network ID. Not bridge is player 1 and bridged is player 2.
    • Vampire Night uses pin input 1 for player 1's start button for both. Pins 2 and 3 are bridged only for the Rays pcb.
  • Test button connector: EI 12P: Same across all
P.S. I remember visiting Speedy's Fast Track in TX a veeeeeeery long time ago before I moved rather north. I recall their most popular arcade machine there was Time Crisis 3 (back in 2004-2005) but that got removed sometime ago.

Just thought I'd post a little update with some findings.

I purchased a broken Time Crisis 2 PCB + innards (which I managed to fix by cleaning!). I've connected it up to OpenJVS and emulated various IOs with the following results:

- The game uses the CONVEY ID command with the ID: hnamco ltd.;Time Crisis 2;Ver1.00;JPN. (Nice to see, almost no games do this)
- It doesn't seem to use any custom JVS commands at all
- It doesn't check the name of the IO (Have emulated the Ninja Assault IO + Sega Type 3 and they all pass the SUB CPU test)
- It doesn't crash / reboot if the IO is not present, or it misses any replies, game will just run indefinately

I've not fully tested it with my Wii Remote yet to see if the buttons are the same as in Ninja Assault, but will do soon and then report on probable compatibility. If it works I'll put up a nice video of me playing TC2 with my Wii Remote and my Projector. I'm thinking this System 23 might be the first thing to use JVS?

JVSCore output of the V185 I/O PCB:

```
JVSCore Device Driver Version 1.3.1
Device Connected: namco ltd.;TSS-I/O;Ver2.02;JPN,GUN-EXTENTION
Players: 1
Switches: 12
Coins: 1
Lightgun: 16 x-bits, 16 y-bits, 1 channels
General Purpose Outputs: 3
```

I'm fairly certain of those 16 bits, the scaling doesn't go fully from 0 -> 2^16.

Back