What's new

toastcoaster1337

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the arcade community and recently purchased my first cabinet, Groove Coaster 4. I first played this game in Japan and had a lot of fun. When I got back home I found it at a local arcade and was going every weekend or so to play. Soon enough I found a cabinet for sale online and bought it.

I use to be a console hacker and spent a lot of years hacking games and gaming consoles. This cabinet was especially interesting to me for 2 reasons: the nesica card system, and Groove Coaster having a lot of content locked without a connection to official nesica servers.

When I got the cabinet I spent the first 2 hours playing the game and then immediately ripped the PC out the back and started hacking away. It took 3.5 weeks of on and off reverse engineering the game and I was able to unlock all of the Groove Coaster 4 content that is normally locked. The entire process was a lot of fun and because of how much security the Taito Type X Zero machine had it reminded me a lot of hacking a gaming consoles.

I'm hoping to meet some other people interested in the Taito Type X machines to see what other interesting devices there are out there I might have a crack at.

Nice to meet you all!

Incredible story - it's great to have more people like you around.
There are a few hackers here - browse the forums a bit, and you'll find out who they are. :D

Anyhow - Welcome!!

nice work.
good to know they arent encrypted by a downloaded key.

nice work.
good to know they arent encrypted by a downloaded key.
Plenty of encryption, just nothing that you have to get from some remote service. I'm actually very curious if the encryption key is the same for every machine on the same game version, or if the hardware security dongle is programmed with unique keys. One of the things on my list of things to investigate.

Back