Cps2 conversion: Darkstalkers to Vampire Saviour

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Cps2 conversion: Darkstalkers to Vampire Saviour

      Hello everybody!
      A friend of mine asked me to install him the -ud Infinikey in a original DarkStalkers he had bought. We were suprised to discover when I open the Cps2, that it hadn´t a battery already, so it is an phoenixed board.
      Since it isn´t a original game anymore, my buddy asked me if it would be too difficult to change the game to 'Vampire Saviour: Lord of Vimpire', since he likes it very much. My idea on this project would be, if it is possible, to burn original encripted roms to use the buyed everkey, but I do have several questions about it.
      1. Does Vampire Saviour have a daughter board?
      2. Is there any place with information on cps2 games and which ones do use daughter boards?, I´m not quite sure if the original game use that board,
      3. it would be possible to do that game swap without it..?


      On the rest of the process I assume changing the pal chip and the jumpers in the same configuration as my multi kit in that rev 4 board, should work just fine.

      what do you think about this guys?

      Thanks a lot!
    • Conversions require a bit of work, you'll need a programmer, soldering iron, braid and a knife to set the jumpers.

      Isn't Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire just the Japanese region Darkstalkers?

      To answer your questions:

      1. No, VSav doesn't have a daughterboard

      2. Not that I'm aware of? The games that use daughterboards (that I know of) are:

      - Super SF2 New Challengers
      - Super SF2X/Turbo
      - Capcom Sports Club
      - Progear

      3. Yes you can make conversions for the games that need the daughterboard without it.

      There is more to conversions than setting the jumpers the same as the multi and changing the PAL. But I won't be going into further detail here, the information is out there if you search.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by xodaraP ().

    • Thanks a lot xodaraP,
      it´s a good start..
      - Acording to wiki, vampire saviour is the second game of the saga,
      - for what I did see, Sf 2 alpha also use daughter board,

      When you say that conversion can be made without the daughter board, do you mean conversions with original encrypted roms?

      There is a subject I want to talk about, and is the fact of conversions games and selling them as what they are not. The purpouse of this project is not that, it´s just to use the situation to have a 'better' game for the owner of the board, since he bought the game thinking it was another thing. I hope you understand.

      Thank you very much endeed
    • I've fixed a couple of SF Zero/Alpha and not seen a daughterboard, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

      The daughterboard holds mask ROMs, not program. So encrypted/non encrypted is irrelevant to the daughterboard.

      As I explained, the information is out there if you search but I won't be posting it here, this is a public forum so if I put it up, even if you aren't making conversions to sell, others will.
    • xodaraP wrote:

      As I explained, the information is out there if you search but I won't be posting it here, this is a public forum so if I put it up, even if you aren't making conversions to sell, others will.

      Man, there wouldn't be a whole lot of discussion on this board if everybody followed that rule.

      Anyway, yes, you can absolutely convert your board to Vampire Savior, and if you use an Infinikey you can just burn the encrypted set from Mame as is.

      I can take a pic of my Vampire Savior if you need it.
    • There is plenty of information on conversions for systems that aren't on here for various reasons @nem

      Usually so we don't run afoul of companies who still make their products available for sale or otherwise make the effort to have the information removed.

      I'll speak to @Darksoft about it and if he's happy for me to put the info up, I'll make a tutorial on exactly how to convert everything on CPS2.
    • xodaraP wrote:

      There's a mahjjong game on CPS2?
      Jyangokushi: Haō no Saihai

      I'm pretty sure it's the only game not on the multi, because it required the daughter board

      Edit: There's also a second mahjong-ish game on CPS2, Janpai Puzzle Choukou (I think it's matching-mahjong rather than real mahjong). I'm pretty sure that one's on the multi even, not that I've loaded it. Looking at release dates, looks like the last 2 games they put out for the CPS2 were mahjong.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by KalessinDB ().

    • xodaraP wrote:

      Usually so we don't run afoul of companies who still make their products available for sale or otherwise make the effort to have the information removed.

      I don't understand. How are instructions to convert Sega games then allowed here?

      Also, you're now somewhat changing your tone. You didn't mention before the aspect of putting the site in danger because of litigation, you talked about people using the instructions to make conversions for money:

      xodaraP wrote:

      this is a public forum so if I put it up, even if you aren't making conversions to sell, others will.

      But yes, I agree, it is down to the mod team, as always. However, if CPS2 conversion talk isn't allowed here, I have to question the wishy washy attitude.
    • Hey @nem, I'm sure that @xodaraP was just looking out for the forums' best interests as there is a certain game that runs on modified S16 hardware whose black magic has been banned from being unveiled in tutorial form on here. Better to be safe than sorry, and you know, if it takes a bit of detective work to find out how to do it, you know the donors will be cheap(er) ;)
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

    • So converting a phoenixed game back to unphoenixed is easy because all you have to do is burn the program roms. the audio and character sprites are always unencrypted. Does your darkstalkers that is phoenixed have the original mask roms? or is the board populated completely with eproms? If it's eproms it will be much easier to convert it to VS. If it's the mask roms then you are in for a bit of cost and time to make the VS rom set.

      To clarify for the thread... The vampire games have different names in different regions, and no Darkstalkers is not Vampire Savior, it's equivalent to Vampire in Japan. Also only some games were released outside of Japan, where they got all of them.

      JP
      ==
      Vampire
      Vampire Hunter
      Vampire Savior
      Vampire Hunter 2
      Vampire Savior 2

      USA
      ===
      Darkstalkers
      Night Warriors
      Vampire Savior

      edit: adding collection photo
      Woodies: Xevious, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Joust Cocktail, Space Invaders, 3-KOAM Red Angle
      Candies: 3x Aero City, New Astro City, 2x Blast City, Net City
      VAPS

      The post was edited 1 time, last by KaPH33n ().

    • Vampire Savior is basically "the" tournament title in the series, which kinda makes it the most popular by default.

      I don't often understand this forum to be honest. People are so weird about what is apparently okay and what isn't. Like, this is the home for selling a multiboard that lets you pirate every single CPS2 title in existence without paying for any of them, but there's hesitation about sharing how to convert a board? What is that even about? It's clearly not about protecting the forum, the multi is a much bigger issue if that was the case.

      And if it's about keeping people from being paid for conversions, I have to just laugh and ask why? I mean, clearly anyone capable of making such a conversion isn't an idiot to the point where they can figure it out for themselves already, and secondly, so what? There are people here being paid for all kinds of services all the time. Why is this one verboten for some reason?

      I don't like the knowledge hoarding, it's wack. If it's about some game that's still in commercial production then okay, I get it. CPS2 is not that, and hasn't been for ages. What's the big deal?
    • Aurich wrote:

      Vampire Savior is basically "the" tournament title in the series, which kinda makes it the most popular by default.

      I don't often understand this forum to be honest. People are so weird about what is apparently okay and what isn't. Like, this is the home for selling a multiboard that lets you pirate every single CPS2 title in existence without paying for any of them, but there's hesitation about sharing how to convert a board? What is that even about? It's clearly not about protecting the forum, the multi is a much bigger issue if that was the case.

      And if it's about keeping people from being paid for conversions, I have to just laugh and ask why? I mean, clearly anyone capable of making such a conversion isn't an idiot to the point where they can figure it out for themselves already, and secondly, so what? There are people here being paid for all kinds of services all the time. Why is this one verboten for some reason?

      I don't like the knowledge hoarding, it's wack. If it's about some game that's still in commercial production then okay, I get it. CPS2 is not that, and hasn't been for ages. What's the big deal?

      As @djsheep said above there is some information that is taboo and does need to be kept from being posted, multi or no.

      I have no problem per se releasing the CPS2 conversion information. Which is why I checked with the mod team first.

      You are right @nem that I was concerned about people profiting off the info (this part really pisses me off). But to be honest after my initial thoughts about more eBay conversions I'm now thinking if it's public, the value will hopefully be taken out of it.

      Mod team has given the ok so I'll be doing a step by step and will post the link here when done.
    • That would be great!

      nem wrote:


      I can take a pic of my Vampire Savior if you need it.

      Thanks for the reference!

      Unessential wrote:


      Is it not allowed here? I mean, it's not that hard to just put a link.
      ikotsu.blogspot.com/2010/01/pr…cps2-cavecapcom-2001.html

      I´m not quite sure, I´ll have to check it out, thanks for the info!

      KaPH33n wrote:

      So converting a phoenixed game back to unphoenixed is easy because all you have to do is burn the program roms. the audio and character sprites are always unencrypted. Does your darkstalkers that is phoenixed have the original mask roms? or is the board populated completely with eproms? If it's eproms it will be much easier to convert it to VS. If it's the mask roms then you are in for a bit of cost and time to make the VS rom set.

      To clarify for the thread... The vampire games have different names in different regions, and no Darkstalkers is not Vampire Savior, it's equivalent to Vampire in Japan. Also only some games were released outside of Japan, where they got all of them.

      JP
      ==
      Vampire
      Vampire Hunter
      Vampire Savior
      Vampire Hunter 2
      Vampire Savior 2

      USA
      ===
      Darkstalkers
      Night Warriors
      Vampire Savior

      edit: adding collection photo


      Thank you very much Xodara, I do really appreciate it!

      xodaraP wrote:



      Mod team has given the ok so I'll be doing a step by step and will post the link here when done.