What's new

vholfx

Student
Reaction score
Hello,

I got a Naomi 2 + Original PSU + NetDim + Capcom IO board and I just made it NetBoot and it's working great. I have a question about power though.

I've seen forum posts mentioning that if I have the Capcom IO, it is capable of powering the Naomi 2 using the power output on it, no additional PSU required. However, others say it's not possible for the Capcom IO to power both the Naomi 2 and the NetDim, and it might damage the Naomi doing it that way.

So which one would it be? I have the Naomi 2 being powered by a dedicated PSU and the Capcom IO takes power from the JAMMA harness, and I'm scared of trying to power the Naomi with just the Capcom IO and take the risk of damaging something.

Any thoughts? Getting rid of the extra PSU would be great, I have a New Astro City cab and I wouldn't like to replace it's original PSU just for this, since I plug the Naomi every now and then, it's not a dedicated machine.

Thanks!

I don't see how it can damage the Naomi. If anything it could damage the Capcom IO, however, I find that unlikely.

You can try it. Most likely you will encounter issues of games locking up during loading.

If you have a multimeter, see what kind of voltages you're getting on the Naomi end.

Use a separate PSU for the Naomi with NetDIMM. The Capcom IO will struggle to power all of that. It’s not a problem using the Capcom IO powered with normal game carts though.

Well I tried with both a Naomi 1 and 2 using a standard game cartridge (no NetDIMM) and just the Capcom IO and works just fine. If I try with the NetDIMM it doesn't boot. So you are right, I need the external PSU if I'm using the NetDIMM.

Thanks!

Well I tried with both a Naomi 1 and 2 using a standard game cartridge (no NetDIMM) and just the Capcom IO and works just fine. If I try with the NetDIMM it doesn't boot. So you are right, I need the external PSU if I'm using the NetDIMM.

Thanks!
Yes, this is the way I've always known it to be. And using a Sun power supply is preferred.

Although there is a member here who claimed to be able to mod the Capcom IO so that it could handle both of them. I was never able to verify that.

I wish someone would come up with a workable MOD for the Capcom IO to handle both. Is there a way to upgrade it somehow?
:D

Yup, you have to replace the onboard DC to DC converter. So you want to use one that does 5v to 3.3v.

Yup, you have to replace the onboard DC to DC converter. So you want to use one that does 5v to 3.3v.
Hi Derickk2k, do you have some instructions and components to buy to replace the DC-DC converter to one that is capable to appropriately power the NAOMI 2?
Thanks in advance.

@faithful did u ever get the capcom board powering both the Naomi 2 and the net dimm?
I would also love to do this

@Derick2k can u tell me which parts I need to buy and replace on the capcom board to power both the Naomi and netdimm

I attached the IO board I have

Thanks

Attachments

• capcom_io_board.jpg
    capcom_io_board.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Has anyone modded the Capcom IO board to handle powering both the Naomi and the netdimm?
I am looking to do this for my Naomi and netdimm

Looks like a dc converter needs to be changed to a 5v to 3.3v dc converter
I can do it but I need to know what part needs to be replaced with what part.

Thanks

What kind of cab are you using? I would recommend just getting a Sun PSU if possible. I feel like this is a more permanent/portable solution. Doing a mod to the Capcom IO is kind of specific... do you know if it will let you run a gdrom or CF? Seems like a lot of hacking to only get NetDIMM out of it. Do you have any plans on checking out other JVS systems after Naomi?

I am using a standard jamma cab and I plan to use a jamma switcher with other boards in the same cabinet - this is why I want to power it with jamma. The capcom IO board will only be used with the Naomi
I am going to use the piforce with lcd screen to switch games using a Rpi and a crossover cable with the netdimm
I do not plan to use a GDrom or CF at all with it

This is why I would like the capcom io board to power both the Naomi 2 and netdimm.

Attachments

• nh020f2.jpg
    nh020f2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 217
Can you help me with where the original power regulator is on the IO board?

Yep - I outlined it in a red box
You need to unsolder that
I also attached the in and outs of the existing regulator

Pins 8 and 9 on the NH020F2 are not used

Attachments

• capcom_io_board.jpg
    capcom_io_board.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 265
  • in_out.jpg
    in_out.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Yes it will power both the naomi and the netdimm
Thanks goes to Jamesv833 over on KLOV - He helped me out with it and I am happy to share it because this is great not having to use 2 PSUs

Yes it will power both the naomi and the netdimm
Thanks goes to Jamesv833 over on KLOV - He helped me out with it and I am happy to share it because this is great not having to use 2 PSUs
over just the one JVS cable or did you have to break out the wires for the other connector too?

That thing says 20w output... so I am assuming the naomi and netdimm must draw less than that over 3.3v? I wonder what the gdrom's draw is as well... I just assumed there's no way it could power it. Do you have a gdrom that you could try it with @BladeZX ?

Back