What's new
Great thread

I wish this thread was cross referenced in the AW2Naomi forum but I guess now it is

Didn't even realize this was here

Thanks!

*** IMPORTANT *** It's come to my attention that The Pi1 and Pi1B+ use different port number than the Pi2 and Pi3 such that Pi force tools wont see the Pi Plate unless it's changed. If you're using the latest Pi Force tools with Pi2 or 3 you should be fine, but if you're running the newer Pi Force Tools on an older Pi then you may need to modify the port numbering specified in the header of the .py files
I am using a Pi1 and would love if you could expand on this explanation. My Pi LCD screen has no back lighting, is that related at all? I have looked at all the solder points and I don't see any bad connections.

*** IMPORTANT *** It's come to my attention that The Pi1 and Pi1B+ use different port number than the Pi2 and Pi3 such that Pi force tools wont see the Pi Plate unless it's changed. If you're using the latest Pi Force tools with Pi2 or 3 you should be fine, but if you're running the newer Pi Force Tools on an older Pi then you may need to modify the port numbering specified in the header of the .py files
I am using a Pi1 and would love if you could expand on this explanation. My Pi LCD screen has no back lighting, is that related at all? I have looked at all the solder points and I don't see any bad connections.
I don't have any experience with this personally but there are some details in the troubleshooting section of the official Pi-Force tools page: https://github.com/travistyoj/piforcetools

Hey,

I put the two images together which twistedsymphony is on about below:

.. with regards to the one with the phone; I would use the Pi version 3 image, as it uses the inbuit wireless card of the PI, and gets round all of the compatability issues the PI2 had with wireless adapters..

.. although if you _must_ use the PI2, its the WG111v2, not the WG111v3 - they are different chipsets :(

I recently came across a couple of new Options for Net-Booting with a Pi:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30248

Both of these options allow you to use use a Pi for net-booting without the Pi-Plate LCD (so cost reduction and less work).

one allows you to select/change games from your phone by connecting to the Pi over Wi-Fi

the other allows you to setup an SD card with just 1 game so if you wanted to setup your NAOMI with a dedicated game you could do that (would be a much cheaper alternative than an CF setup)
I'm trying the web version on an RPiv1 with the suggested WG111v3 and it's not Detecting the Wifi Adapter. anyone have any luck working with this?

great guide @twistedsymphony :D

I tried to avoid netbooting as long as possible, but I just got a NetDimm so i want to give it a try.
I will use a Pi2 B and an Adafruit LCD, is the PiForceTools image linked to in the 2nd post still the most recent version?

I'm glad you liked the guide. the link in the second post goes to the git repository for piforce tools so it should always be the latest (unless they move to a new repository host).

There is also Malenko's Pi-Force-Web-Tools PiForce Webtools Netbooting with a Pi3 but that requires a Pi3 to really take advantage of the added features.

thanks, I already put the PiForceTools on a SD card, will also put the web version on another SD card and see what I like best.
I also have a RPi3 available to test, but as I already have the Adafruit display + case, I think this + a RPi2 will do

Anyone know if any of the other jumper sets on the dimm matter? I know the one near the GDRom port needs to be switched to network in order to net-boot, but there is another set of jumpers on that same top board (near the security pic), and two sets of jumpers on the bottom dimm board.

Thank u so much for the tutorial. I have something to contribute for this topic! I bought the "blue and white" lcd plate and struggled to get the backlight to work. I've been searthing all over the net and found the solution.

It's from: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...pport-Thread&p=4092896&viewfull=1#post4092896

I also pasted the solution here too.

*Just make sure to use a proper code editor to make the adjustments, as the standard word editor will not work :D

"For those of you that are using the old white text on Blue background LCD (16x2) and wondering why the backlight flickers on for a second and then stays off, you need to edit piforcetools.py file in the piforcetools directory and comment / remove the following line:"

lcd.backlight(lcd.BLUE)

I recall editing the line instead to lcd.backligt(lcd.ON)

Next time I have the sd card out I'll check.

Just for clarification if there is any confusion. When using a crossover cable from the RPi to the Naomi, both devices need to be on the same network. The same goes for running the Naomi over a network. It will have to be on the same network domain that it is going to be pulling the files from. With out going too much into needless detail about ip addressing, its easier to just set the RPi at 192.168.1.1 and the Naomi at 192.160.1.2 with the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0. This makes certain that both devices are on the same network and will communicate. If anyone wants more details about it, feel free to ask me! Or if you just want some networking fundamentals!

Thanks so much for this thread! I successfully set up my net dimm with a ton of help and expertise from @XeD. Now just need to replace the fan in the power supply as my current one sounds like an eagle being sucked into a jet engine. <3 @twistedsymphony

I just picked up a Naomi 2 Net Dimm and Raspberry Pi setup but the only thing I'm missing is the power cord/supply for the Pi. In reading the thread, it sounds like the best method to power the Pi is to use a Micro-USB cable and crimp on a 4-pin JST NH style connector to plug into the Naomi itself. I don't have the capability to do this, does anyone know of where I can purchase a cable that has been modified for this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just buy a pi power supply.
Most micro usb cables have very thin wires and can't handle the 2 amps current the pi need to boot properly.
The Pi only get's 4.7 to 4.8V and becomes unstable.
The pi power supply adapters only have 2 wires coming out and they are thicker.
The recommended power adapter for a Pi3 B+ is a 2.5 amp one.
Most phone chargers and general purpose adapters are unable to deliver that amount of current.

I just picked up a Naomi 2 Net Dimm and Raspberry Pi setup but the only thing I'm missing is the power cord/supply for the Pi. In reading the thread, it sounds like the best method to power the Pi is to use a Micro-USB cable and crimp on a 4-pin JST NH style connector to plug into the Naomi itself. I don't have the capability to do this, does anyone know of where I can purchase a cable that has been modified for this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
that is certainly the most "compact" way to power the Pi but as others have said you can just us a micro USB phone charger plugged into a wall or some other Pi power adapter plugged into a normal outlet to power the Pi.

I don't know anyone that sells a JST NH to micro-usb adapter.

Thanks for the replies; I ended up trying a cell phone charger and it works as it powers the Pi. What I was looking for was to have a cable modded to plug into the Naomi to power the Pi from that.

Get a 4 pin JST NH connecter, cut of one end of a decent USB cable and crimp it to the JST :)

I’m sure someone local to you can do it

Back