What's new
one of the menus on the Pi force tools interface allows you to set the IP you'd like to connect to, it's limited to a short list which can be adjusted in one of the .py file (this is mentioned on the last section of my guide).

while the version of pyforce tools I used in my guide does indeed default the ip addresses to 192.168.1.x it's entirely possible that newer versions or other builds use different ips as default.

one of the menus on the Pi force tools interface allows you to set the IP you'd like to connect to, it's limited to a short list which can be adjusted in one of the .py file (this is mentioned on the last section of my guide).

while the version of pyforce tools I used in my guide does indeed default the ip addresses to 192.168.1.x it's entirely possible that newer versions or other builds use different ips as default.
Well, I did that yesterday as well and also used the ping command and they still weren't seeing each other, unfortunately. I will have to try a different crossover cable next I suppose.

255.255.255.0 is the mask not the gateway. Mask in your case is probably the same IP that the the pi has.

Where would I set the gateway? I've followed the tutorial and it only mentions the ip and net mask.

are you sure that your cable is a crossover cable and not a normal Ethernet cable? also which version of the Pi do you have and which version of pi-force tools are you using?

I bought the pi and adafruit lcd combo off a trusted friend that said it worked fine with his chihiro setup. He sent me the crossover cable and power supply for the pi as part of the package. It isn't the newest pi but he sold it because he had sold the cab. The cable is red and is labeled crossover on it as well.

I'm using the newest version of pi force tools that was on the git hub link in the tutorial.

please check the microSD on your pi force and see which IP address is being used. It's possible that it's 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.1.x.

please check the microSD on your pi force and see which IP address is being used. It's possible that it's 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.1.x.
I have checked the piforcetools.py and it has these ips listed:

ips = ["192.168.1.2", "192.168.1.3", "192.168.1.4", "192.168.1.5"]

If I have the pi set to 192.168.1.2, I don't also want the Naomi set to that ip do I? Maybe I'm missing something, but how do I set the ip for the pi itself?

A little bit of basic networking.

Your Pi and your netdimm need to be on the same ip address subnet but need to have a different ip address.

The number of bits used for the subnet are determined by the subnet mask. The most common subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 which means that 24 bit's are used for the subnet and 8 are used to specify the address.

So, if your netdimm is having 192.168.1.1 as ip and the pi is having 192.168.1.5 it should work as the first three number groups are equal and the last number is different. The last number can not be 0 or 255 as those are used for special purposes.

The gateway is only needed to access an ip address in another subnet. In such case, the network packet is sent to the gateway address. The gateway hardware will modify the network packet and retransmit it on the other subnet.

If you connect the raspberry pi to a screen, it might or might not show it's own ip address at the end of the bootup text. Depending upon it's setup it might stay in text mode or show a graphical desktop.
You can connect an usb keyboard and log in to the pi os. The command sudo ifconfig will also show you the pi ip.

You can also connect the pi to a pc or laptop with the crossover cable and try to ping it from a command prompt of the pc. The pc network adapter will need an ip in the same subnet as the pi, or the 2 won't see each other. So, if your pi has ip 192.168.1.5, your pc needs ip 192.168.1.x with x being different from 0, 5 and 255

Where can I change the gateway on my netdimm?
You don't need to, just make sure your Net DIMM and the Pi are on the same subnet as obcd stated.

plug an HDMI monitor int your pi along with a USB keyboard, use "root" to login and then run the ifconfig command to determine your Pi's IP address.
you will want to do this while it's connected to the Net DIMM

Last edited:
Well I made some progress. I used my newer pi that was built in wifi and loaded it with the piforce web v1.2 image. I was then finally able to load Mvc2 and play. I have some other roms such as Powerstone 2, Street Fighter Upper that I get error code 2 with but I assume it's because of the image I'm using?

Also, I guess the other pi I was using is either bad or I was missing something simple in the tutorial?

Well I made some progress. I used my newer pi that was built in wifi and loaded it with the piforce web v1.2 image. I was then finally able to load Mvc2 and play. I have some other roms such as Powerstone 2, Street Fighter Upper that I get error code 2 with but I assume it's because of the image I'm using?

Also, I guess the other pi I was using is either bad or I was missing something simple in the tutorial?
Pretty sure Error 02 is wrong BIOS/game combo. Like loading a US game with a JP BIOS.

So in short you need to find versions of the games that match your BIOS.

UPDATE: Confirmed my suspicions! Yay.

Useful link:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI_Error_Codes

Pretty sure Error 02 is wrong BIOS/game combo. Like loading a US game with a JP BIOS.
So in short you need to find versions of the games that match your BIOS.

UPDATE: Confirmed my suspicions! Yay.

Useful link:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI_Error_Codes
Well, I followed the tutorial and double and triple checked it so I'm still not sure if it is the pi I was using or something else.

The pi isn't an issue. If you got MvC2 to play, the pi is just fine.

Like I said, you're using the wrong game images for the BIOS you have installed.

Zero 3 Upper is Japanese, your BIOS isn't Japanese, that's the problem :P.

Game/BIOS compatibility list:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI

The pi isn't an issue. If you got MvC2 to play, the pi is just fine.

Like I said, you're using the wrong game images for the BIOS you have installed.

Zero 3 Upper is Japanese, your BIOS isn't Japanese, that's the problem :P.

Game/BIOS compatibility list:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI
Sorry, when I say the pi not working, I'm talking about the original pi I started with. I have two, one is the newer pi with wifi built in and the other is an older version 1 or 2 with an adafruit lcd. The older one is the one I coudn't get working at all.

Oh oh. Yeah, no idea about the older pi not working to be honest. But glad to hear the new one is!

Error 02 is what my advice was aimed at. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh oh. Yeah, no idea about the older pi not working to be honest. But glad to hear the new one is!

Error 02 is what my advice was aimed at. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem! So to get multiple games working, I need the multi bios? Will that also mean that if I want to switch from a USA only rom to a Japan only rom that I'll still need to physically change dip switches on the Naomi?

You should be able to get all USA games working as-is (assuming you have a USA BIOS).

How the multi-BIOS works is a mystery to me. Someone else may have to answer that.

Back