What's new
So to get multiple games working, I need the multi bios? Will that also mean that if I want to switch from a USA only rom to a Japan only rom that I'll still need to physically change dip switches on the Naomi?
The "MultiBIOS" is a multi-region bios. when the multi bios is installed you can change the region of your NAOMI by changing the dipswitches.

All official BIOSes are 1 region only and the dipswitches have no effect. AFAIK the Japanese region has 100% compatibility with all games, but the USA and other regions are useful in order to play the games in English... unfortunately there are some games that will ONLY run with a NAOMI set to the Japanese Region such as Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper.

There is a games list I linked to at the beginning of the guide. that has a spreadsheet with which regions are supported by which net-bootable games, as well as compatibility info regarding I/O boards among other things.

Any other tips to get the most out of a Naomi 2 netboot setup?

Any other tips to get the most out of a Naomi 2 netboot setup?
What is your cab setup like? is it a JAMMA cab, JVS cab, SuperGun? What I/O board are you running.

FWIW The Sega Type 1 JVS I/O has the best compatibility of any I/O board. the only games it doesn't work with are Sega Marine Fishing and The Trackball games (which all need the special trackball I/O in ADDITION to a normal I/O board like the Type 1)

But I'd recommend going through the game list and only including roms that fit your cab setup so you're not scrolling forever through games that you can't play because you don't have a gun or a steering wheel or whatever.

I have a Naomi 2 with Capcom io in a pseudo big blue. It's just a standard 2 player, 6 button fighting cab that has/had CPS2 Xmen vs SF in it.

I have a Naomi 2 with Capcom io in a pseudo big blue. It's just a standard 2 player, 6 button fighting cab that has/had CPS2 Xmen vs SF in it.
What are you powering the Naomi 2 with?

Hi Everyone,

Ok - I am ready to get my NETDIMM upgrade to 4.02.

I have one that is currently at 3.01 - the instructions in this thread say 3.XX can be upgraded - but I see other conflicting information that says it must be 3.03.

This is what i get when I run the transfergame.exe command:

C:\Users\mathew\Downloads\dimm_fw_401>TransferGame.exe Naomi_DIMM_4.01_Update.bin 192.168.0.109

-----------------------------------------------------
Transfer Game PROGRAM
æèÄΦɵIPâAâhâîâX:92.242.140.2 port
ô]æùâtâ@âCâï:192.168.0.109
-----------------------------------------------------
Now Connecting...
âtâ@âCâïâIü[âvâôÄ╕ösüI

âtâ@âCâïé¬ô╟é▀é▄é╣é±üB

Help!

Matt

is that the IP of your NAOMI?

you should first try pinging your NAOMI to ensure that it's reachable:

ping <your naomi's ip address>

if you get a response then you should be typing

TransferGame.exe <your naomi's ip address> <your firmware file>

Yes it is - but thanks - i had the arguments wrong... rookie mistake! Works now... :)

Thanks for the second set of eyes!

Matt

So I finally had time on the weekend to put together a couple of PiForce kits and converted an ATX PSU to Naomi PSU. Then got onto Setting it all up today.

This explanation was very good and really helped me get it done. Thanks heaps @twistedsymphony for spending there time to write this up! :thumbsup:

I had to do a couple extra steps.

- I programmed my own Zero keys for the NetDimm boards. It was the first time I've programmed any chips so was quite exciting even though it was extremely simple.
- I also use the used the PiForce setup to update my NetDimm boards from FW 3.03 straight to FW 4.02. I just added the FW4.02 pack into the gameslist.py and sent it through that way. Worked perfectly on both my boards no drama's.

I have managed to test it with a few games and this setup seems to work extremely well. I'm very happy with it. A little expensive and time consuming to setup but once its done its all good.

Now I just have to decide whether to attempt to update my standard Dimm boards myself or send them on a holiday to get them done by an expert.... :/

So I finally got my Naomi Netboot with rpi2 and crossover cable setup ready to go. I installed the piforcetools image onto my sd card. It's version 1.5, as it shows on the adafruit bootscreen. I loaded all my roms into the rom folder, in *.bin format for course. Now when I boot up the Naomi, it once again boots up with PiForceTools 1.5 on the LCD, then it displays the very first rom, that was alphabetically first in the rom folder, and none of my buttons work. It's like it's frozen. I know at least some of my buttons work because I tested piforce without any roms, and was able to cycle through the options, like ping netdimm, target... and be able to select them. So I feel like it is frozen.

Anyone experience this?

Yep, this happens to me occasionally if I power the whole system at the same time. Normally I just pull the power on the Rpi1 and when it reboots its all good. I have an Rpi2 as well, but have been using the Rpi1 so only noticed it on that.

Hmm that's interesting, I'll try that out. That's kinda annoying tho if true. I may try the web boot method too

if I power the whole system at the same time
Are you powering the Pi directly from the PSU or from the NAOMI filterboard?

I use the filterboard power connector on mine and I've never had any issues, I believe that connection is filtered.

if I power the whole system at the same time
Are you powering the Pi directly from the PSU or from the NAOMI filterboard?
I use the filterboard power connector on mine and I've never had any issues, I believe that connection is filtered.
At the moment it's just setup with its own PSU. I'm waiting for a few parts then the idea was to power it from the main PSU. Did you just solder something to the filter board or are there already connection points available?

Someone requested I make some cables to power the Pi via the filterboard so I ordered the parts (already have a shit-ton of NH headers). So I can provide the cable with proper connector that terminates directly to the micro USB Type B plug needed. I tested it by charging my phone while running my Naomi ;)

Someone requested I make some cables to power the Pi via the filterboard so I ordered the parts (already have a shit-ton of NH headers). So I can provide the cable with proper connector that terminates directly to the micro USB Type B plug needed.
The nice part about using the proper NH connectors is they're keyed so you can't put them in backward by accident.

Back