What's new
The nice part about using the proper NH connectors is they're keyed so you can't put them in backward by accident.
If hot plugging, I think these NH connectors still make contact if trying to insert backwards. So plugging in with the NAOMI powered off is probably the way to go.

Cool, I should've had a better look. I'll have all the parts I need to make up a cable for this once my spare Micro USB cables turn up. :thumbsup:

Now I just need to make up some parts to mount the PiForce screen in the BandaiPass hole in the Namco Noir CP. Think the hardest part of this will be extending the buttons. I don't have a 3d printer or any idea at the moment of how to generate the 3d files used to print something, so will probably re-purpose something else. For now it can just sit up top.

I had a NOS 2 Player CP that I've installed on the Player 2 cab where I've installed the Naomi 2 (Naomi doesn't seem to work with 2 linked cabinets) and now I can Swap between running linked cabs with the TTX2 Niko multi and a 2 player single cab for the Naomi setup. Takes 2 minutes to swap a couple of plugs. :D

Here is how my cable looks :)

2ir18gh.jpg

Nice. I used to make them like that as well, but since those usb micro connectors tend to be a bit fragile I now usually go for the short molded usb cables and just cut one end off. I guess you could make them sturdier with a drop of hotglue or something inside the connector, but I didn't try it myself.

The problem with using a standard cable is the fact that the wires are usually very thin. This causes a voltage drop over the cable as the pi can consume more than 1 Amp. The pi 1 wasn't performing very well under the 4.8 V

The problem with using a standard cable is the fact that the wires are usually very thin.
I mean there's no definition of wire gauge in a "standard cable" A lot of Micro USB cables are available with decent gauge wire since most people use them to charge their phones. As long as you keep that in mine when choosing a cable for this you're fine.

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Du...id=1524659054&sr=1-3&keywords=20awg+micro+usb

which have a 20awg internal wire, which is thick enough that the pins in the connector are the bottleneck.

I don’t see mention of the dimm board with just the Ethernet port, that is missing the Gdrom and serial ports. Is that version fine for this? Also I’m curious what is the function of the serial port? I ordered one that just has the Ethernet port and is 3.03 firmware.

I think serial port was for like card readers etc.

Isn't the network adapter using it's own vxworks operating system? Maybe the serial port is a console port to that os?
I seem to remember that the board had some jumpers to select between serial and ethernet, so another option could be that it supported a dial up modem connected to that serial port. I have never seen it in use.

I don’t see mention of the dimm board with just the Ethernet port, that is missing the Gdrom and serial ports. Is that version fine for this? Also I’m curious what is the function of the serial port? I ordered one that just has the Ethernet port and is 3.03 firmware.
the board works with netboot i have one. i found a new duaghter board with gdrom and serial also and swaped it out also. just so i had all options.

So I recently fell down the NetDIMM/PiForce hole...
I wanted to share some of my notes here, as it seems the latest version of PiForce has changed somethings (please forgive me if this has already been covered).

The file you need to edit is "gamelist.py" and not "piforcetools.py" as it states on the first page.
5IeJMEv.jpg

Next, if your new to this whole NetDIMM thing like me... You probably have a older firmware installed (maybe 3.03 or 3.17 like I had below).
The blue highlighted line above is a working example of how to add the entry to PiForce, so you can now Netboot the 4.02 update.
3ZAZSV1.jpg

My PiForce/Naomi setup inside the Vewlix Diamond...
TAuVUR7.jpg

• Stock Wei Ya Vewlix JVS PSU provides enough juice to make this power hungry beast fire up.
  • 31khz VGA output, directly connected to the stock Vewlix Diamond LCD.
  • Taito's Vewlix Ver2.00 JVS PCB, which is flawed with a few games (namely my precious CvS2) but works with most "normal" games.
  • My Naomi (yes painted yellow/green ;) ) with NetDIMM, 512MB of installed PC100 memory, zero key/pic, Raspberry Pi 3 B model.
I really need a case for my PiForce, I think @twistedsymphony is working on a nicer color match to the DIMM/Naomi 2 color.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these extra CN7 and CN8 ports for on this DIMM? My other Netdimm's don't have them.
Likewise there is no SCSI or rs232 serial port on this one. Part number is 840-0008F

I believe I've seen this called a "NET-only DIMM board"

DjiBqDfXcAARuBU.jpg

Fun. I have a network only dimm and I’m not sure if it has those ports. I’m planning to finally get to work setting up netbooting on my Naomi 2 tomorrow so will be reporting in. I think I’ll try from my laptop first then get it working with a Pi.

What are these extra CN7 and CN8 ports for on this DIMM? My other Netdimm's don't have them.
Likewise there is no SCSI or rs232 serial port on this one. Part number is 840-0008F

I believe I've seen this called a "NET-only DIMM board"

DjiBqDfXcAARuBU.jpg
I've never seen that before. Maybe @MetalliC can shed some light here...

I've seen those on a few DIMM boards I think usually on the Type 1 Chihiro or Tri-Force (I forget which). definitely not that common though.

I mean you could always follow the traces from the connector pins to see which chips they lead to, that might give you some insight into their function.

My PCB has the pads present, but no connectors soldered and no cut outs in the metal shield.

They look both identical, so maybe some of the pins are identical. I would expect at least a ground pin and maybe a 5V or 12V one?
Should be possible to figure that out with a continuity tester.

Well it is a NETDIMM, is it possible that the connector is used for something simple like external Rx/Tx activity lights? :huh:

I don't know for what purpose DIMM have CN7 and CN8, but I'd suggest it is some serial port (not Ethernet). its probably also related to IC8 315-6332, as if CN7 and CN8 present - this IC will be populated.

as I know, in some games like WCCF 2x "main screen" units connected via DIMM serial, I'd guess CN7 CN8 that is.

Back