What's new

CharGP02A

Student
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I'm a big Gundam fan and I'd love to get a System 256 cabinet going. I do have specific requirements though. I have two 3/4 size cabs already (a retro Pie arcade 1up and a Xtension Room Masters JAMMA). I'd like this one to be the same size.

I'm trying to figure out everything I need.

Is this a good starting point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKKEN-5-v...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
The above link claims to have "everything" needed for the base System 256 parts. Can someone look into that and explain if this is true?

Does the System 256 support modern television signals from the VGA port?

What kind of arcade stick should I get? I know I'll need an 8 button one but do I have to buy a JAMMA one and then some converter? I don't know.

Please let me know what I can do to help provide more information.

Hey there,

Words...
To answer your questions:

So I'm a big Gundam fan ...
I happen to have like 5 of the Gundam games for 256. If you are interested in them, I would be interested in selling them to you to get your collection started.

Yes and No, all depending on your set. 2X6 outputs a 15 and 31khz signal. Depending on the game, it may or may not work. You'd be best getting an OSSC, chinese shit scaler, or RetroTink between the monitor and Namco 2X6 so it stabilizes the image for your panel.

What kind of arcade stick should I get? I know I'll need an 8 button one but do I have to buy a JAMMA one and then some converter?
It depends if you're building out a stick to wire to jamma, and eventually plug into the 256.
In the Jamma case, the Namco IO listed below should help, since the system is useless without any type of IO.

Is this a good starting point: EBAY LINK

Yes, but it's missing the Namco IO. Depending on the configuration of your cabinet, you might need one.

If you're using JVS (capcom IO) that makes things a bit easier with concern to swappability.
Mine is wired into my blast city with Jamma and a Capcom kick harness to my other buttons.
All I have to do is Usb into my capcom IO from the Namco 2X6 and I'm done. I don't need that adapter.

The kit you're looking at needs the Namco JAMMA IO.
I have a spare 256 IO for sale if you need one in box.

Mine uses the following to connect to my cabinet in JVS configuration...
From LEFT to RIGHT...
JVS USB to Capcom IO
RCA Stereo L and R to Cabinet amp
VGA cable to cabinet
Namco power converter to JVS standard.
V7EhCI49oUhYHYxnnsmanP7q_y0LRwkTyrgE8YsjIwWINNTFrp6kk4rDYpCQ5TJUZcPM0etmAKA1sZCNIHPLdD0E55kPi8i1UqFRiC0-NINFT-eL2dkxUTByXf8jl0g8T1KXDV9v0wBpWmc-6AaEcf3QtQjuyZ_geWPczMammy2z6tuJ6w4LS5UfcXz3Z2hzJ39CmmdLQxJjNoDhddh2ISUFE7g5DHhg6EHODV3fwQwPWlc_R3Slq86NJlFx0apXuVvmeaLoRxrDIOcvj-gy8UDaX5gpmQpRccRfhOJ7xRM1gYZa7GXFK8fYjF_VrAU0lk87J9sLNsar-_JZt9kSVt-lHjtHyAYc37LKrBFGBhyS7jVEYRvydTG8lgS4smCFvWAlUZgyjG51HTBnfqug4YXZUzLf7cT3Z7zJhkICwJd7jdoXXD29XZYRuyJqIQU0adSE5Jed72N4e4L8u1TKkL-DGIevWqtzntPFwvNE6pHVLnZ_XxZHewRAJeb7CEQwNtKKzcZDF8nCVoSShN1T2Bcwap7Hg4iZqq_aoI41oZuHNXHO0XnlXnS91jDJ0ukU2kidQxgTYM5LVDYlu2Gzqt5sWWzHO_xuVJAROHfnR7k5YpcHr0kf6iQgKgwaCUKfzqe_Zy7x-HvxLxDqIsYA7udhftGpc9phppYGPBYjpyYqukdo77bLHcgE1qOTM9xdkL0BZ0ZHLBJNcLt_E_MsJHw7Ugwcj0IZ4CwSnoblgUaN-HsFmw=w678-h903-no

17JnJLt2i_M3jx-NeQlz3MEDBVJIqvUzF4IswLeTO-qJYI-dR7xj-_3-JioBUlwPb-gwRdDAf11tuldfdqk-LGTmgtWrupN4CVi-vQqtKnCKC69HiP2YUllM3wi-QnJ8SY-9dqUac9CGC1v9YqboCMK8j9NvRTRGMgfr38wTd4PduXpx-nITT3EA3SgkRwyVRDBI82SRxsKHJ43diM-m3cE-JcMxxu34OvGmuLK1GoiGSUj7j2VjhTGjs6X3lHypwOdDD3rf92jTH1i-E0zMIzS9TICHX-CKQ5z14dsv1300epEbDZ-L77fAfrFm4kw1NWLTo-m00r9dYjWQSdJjLYN4mE2AvJtBVT7__2Q_KA030opVJWMfEFr3qyULwQhrPU2BsSnxVGkcmEk3XZCj-OyKS0PXX9Vkg8WwqUncrKgHawGiPZaakF9tvcOjxMieES0uUgxfTEPavp9x_eWnparFBeP40ho1pdU-KKeM_agc10udohmanyqqwCUdlymfLTaeV7uCP54V-zBwbXI_oI22ruyOkKtkTM9lLY17BcSGuB__Gc8eJawyR_1I3tBuDNe3nF57JheNfNrGNmoRJ1mk6kgHN40q3YIw3jU9XuJqwwCO2gQHm4VVL3lSpYjt8aNcUASowRSu-MFe718mPLtAzYO95Q3tDIsaYaE8NusQoodPF6Yq6XvugDAxm_Am07h2YTSO6ro0-1YyjV0jn6tz0_XIriw-qMfRffpoRA1JdToLVQ=w678-h903-no

lREBwaAscAwHigNWVwN9F6Pat4NwNetelP6duDZlzlIJVbFWkhHPA03wR2Uas3InRzF0Nr42J8Wdjg-60X7vA5LYARB_XBaprjDoNfNeRYQfROxn2iYm31k4UcC4DLuHk890LmUXs7cksE1UBA8hJPzjA5p6Hn_kZ02aYDQdMCk9SnnmlbeGXwqihZ0meNjtLmDeaccM-03U8XZsJPW63-azfpBp8O6kqi2ZAmC990ll9FZT2zRrJWHzvqRbvMUmoiB22mn70rI1MyCOSovFbP-1SmT0BaIGmG-Va1o7kjJhKKEHOmf3msJUsdmTdLGy-5bFm2-c0_CJFTEznCPH3r7_4Xx5RsBIiN4uyhZ3avBo5x84wrYr-lkgNtP2E8T-2X0nhbY-wRwxjzvKvLD64HkdytKs-Ee-W6iXY8JG6FxXpyOjJHuzkdKxIs2rppIzDpyFla8QsOCjiQ4uoKcOZbYsUi5LZpBy75QWo6SRdE3zb-2NFIInGFpM6iEn7LnIDVL32gLSSMHg6XuJzctVGZlGabaaKcdrp5ubut-piwvOz2rmCTraUtWBo3lX460usIVgJQEN8ocDsExgkuVK_xF9cjlF9Ts7In1wr_wICXzpOKsSQ2lhlWJ6E0fe2-HLHVEhQaGFhVoblfu6wzWxMhY1y7T440rmNjOAG4c6UTt-4rNdE9ft6G5iN8DIt741Z6mYwyaarKEW9ACuJg-3_IHdMEWUj80YEfLoYyNx80HAuG3UCw=w678-h903-no

EDIT

If I'm missing anything AP fam, feel free to chime in.
I'm a bit new at the Namco 2X6 platform, but it's all generally standard JAMMA/JVS which makes things easier.
It's the little dumb things that you'll need to learn like those encryption key memory cards paired with disc images, and other screwy 2X6 settings.

This link is extremely helpful to find the system to run the correct game you want to play.
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_System_246/256

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the write up. I could be interested in your collection but I like to buy everything I need in pieces so that it hurts my wallet less. I need to get a 3/4th scale cab, custom art, the controls, the TV, and more so this is a project that won't be completed in short order.

I don't necessary need my setup to be JAMMA. Does it take USB arcade sticks? If not, do you have other suggestions?

Hi i used a undamned usb decoder for the tekken 5, soul calibur games in the namco 256 system.
To play via usb arcade stick or ps4 pad.
Maybe it will work on gundam games I'm sure of it .

What kind of usb decoder do you have? I have an X Arcade stick at home I could use to test with that encoder.

I agree, an Undamned terminal-style USB encoder should do wonders.
All you gotta do is wire the controls and kick harness to it.
Plug your compatible USBs in and done.

This is the one i build last time for sega naomi and it's compatible i/o for system 256 tekken 5 dr

Attachments

• received_2621163607901684.jpeg
    received_2621163607901684.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 242
  • received_267929030484243.jpeg
    received_267929030484243.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 255
Any brand of those USB encoders you would recommend?
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to wire the controls and kick harness?
Is there a USB arcade stick compatibility list for the Namco System 256?
Did that eBay link contain the kick harness I'd need?

Any brand of those USB encoders you would recommend?Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to wire the controls and kick harness?
Is there a USB arcade stick compatibility list for the Namco System 256?
Did that eBay link contain the kick harness I'd need?
there is only one undamned usb decoder with 2 types the terminal block type and the db-15 type

Stick that has been used

Hori v3 ,v3sa
Rap-n
Victrix pro
Madcats

Xbox360 sticks
Ps3 ps4 stick and pads

This is the one i build last time for sega naomi and it's compatible i/o for system 256 tekken 5 dr
This is an optimal configuration.
JVS conversion FTW.
That means you can use Naomi multikit with this Capcom IO.
Bravo good sir.
I trust you got a fan for that box everything is mounted in?
Also what PSU you using???

Yes and No, all depending on your set. 2X6 outputs a 15 and 31khz signal. Depending on the game, it may or may not work.
All Gundam games output VGA. I don't know of a single television that doesn't display VGA resolution, but maybe they're out there.

Gundam games use an 8-way stick, start button and four action buttons. It's 1P per game. For multiplayer you need to link up multiple setups.

This is an optimal configuration.JVS conversion FTW.
That means you can use Naomi multikit with this Capcom IO.
Bravo good sir.
here's my new creation
With a

Jvs i/o
Power Supply
Atx power supply
12v .5amp Fan
2 Undamned usb decoder terminal type
Jamma harness
Forgot to put the mini amplifier and speaker
And an amazing puppies plastic attache case

Attachments

• received_781356008980544.jpeg
    received_781356008980544.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 245
  • received_458317008123056.jpeg
    received_458317008123056.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 234
  • received_511650562959855.jpeg
    received_511650562959855.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 240
here's my new creationWith a

Jvs i/o
Power Supply
Atx power supply
12v .5amp Fan
Jamma harness
I'm pleased you left the "Amazing Puppies" sticker on the case.
Very nice touch.

Yes and No, all depending on your set. 2X6 outputs a 15 and 31khz signal. Depending on the game, it may or may not work.
All Gundam games output VGA. I don't know of a single television that doesn't display VGA resolution, but maybe they're out there.

Gundam games use an 8-way stick, start button and four action buttons. It's 1P per game. For multiplayer you need to link up multiple setups.
If I wanted to get Gundam games and also Soul Calibur II, what would be the best way to approach that from a control standpoint? Would I go for a 2P control stick or would I just have a separate machine for single screen 2P games? If I have to get multiple setup for Gundam multiplayer, is there an additional link cable or something of the sorts that I'd need to have them "talk to each other"?

This is an optimal configuration.JVS conversion FTW.That means you can use Naomi multikit with this Capcom IO.
Bravo good sir.

Jvs i/o
Power Supply
Atx power supply
12v .5amp Fan
Jamma harness
Oh wow. That looks complicated. Did you have to wire all of that manually?

This is an optimal configuration.JVS conversion FTW.That means you can use Naomi multikit with this Capcom IO.Bravo good sir.
Jvs i/o
Power Supply
Atx power supply
12v .5amp Fan
Jamma harness
it's easy to wire of the harness and you can have a guide to it

@CharGP02A I've got some 246/256 Gundam stuff I am looking to sell off if you are interested.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...mes-for-namco-system-246-225-shipped-us.9655/
That's something I'm considering. However, I need to make sure I can build this cab first. I gotta figure out everything I need and how to build it and that's what this specific thread is about.

This is an optimal configuration.JVS conversion FTW.That means you can use Naomi multikit with this Capcom IO.Bravo good sir.I trust you got a fan for that box everything is mounted in?
here's my new creationWith aJvs i/o
Power Supply
Atx power supply
12v .5amp Fan
Jamma harness
it's easy to wire of the harness and you can have a guide to it
Can you point me to this guide? I'm interested in reading it.

Hello fellow Gundam fan. I'm just quickly writing this on my phone at work so sorry for no link.

Have a look for my Gundam 4p thread. I set up Gundam Seed Destiny on 2x6 and Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost on PS3.

I suggest the cheap Namco Jamma thing and the CPS2IO from RGB. I suggest you make one of your setups a JVS Capcom IO so you can swap in Naomi and stuff easily.

Hello fellow Gundam fan. I'm just quickly writing this on my phone at work so sorry for no link.

Have a look for my Gundam 4p thread. I set up Gundam Seed Destiny on 2x6 and Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost on PS3.

I suggest the cheap Namco Jamma thing and the CPS2IO from RGB. I suggest you make one of your setups a JVS Capcom IO so you can swap in Naomi and stuff easily.
Yeah, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having a Naomi capable machine so I can run Federation vs Zeon

Back