What's new
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Let me reiterate what I'm looking for so we can narrow down the options and I can start buying stuff in pieces:

1. A complete Namco System 256 system (DVD ROM drive, boards, etc..)
2. A way to plug it into a modern LCD TV and produce audio and video
3. A way to hook it up to a USB arcade stick/control panel or alternatively, hook it up to something JAMMA-like that 8 button compatible.
3b. A resource who makes custom control panels at specific size requirements
4. A guide on how to wire everything because I'm a l0ser n00b

The Naomi stuff is optional although if it isn't difficult, I'd love to integrate that.

Secondary items that I'm not really going to worry about until it's complete:

1. A way to allow multiplayer to multiple machines
2. Buying games and dongle

So far, y'all have given me some nice options. I was wondering if you folks could throw me some links to what I'm asking for so I can consider what my final options are?

@CharGP02A

1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-Syst...803994?hash=item2850b61c9a:g:rz0AAOSwI3RW~VTP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-Syst...131837?hash=item23bf49ac3d:g:VBcAAOSwThddCNVT

2) Every LCD monitor with a VGA input I have hooked my System 256 to has worked fine. The audio is RCA out so you can either use a set of desktop PC speakers, run it out to an amplifier then to speakers or right into RCA inputs on a TV.

3) I would wire the cabinet up for JAMMA then you can use either a Capcomor Namco JVS I/O either one will work. For the kick harness I always use the Capcom one as it's pretty universal. i made a custom Namco to Capcom kick harness converter using JNX ( @XianXi ) capcom kick connector. Also install an external switch go back between 246 and 256 mode.

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

eaWypnD.jpg

Secondary
1) Depends on what is on your multiple machines list
2) As pointed out before .. https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...mes-for-namco-system-246-225-shipped-us.9655/

PS - I am also able to make power cables and kick harness connectors used in that picture.

1. A complete Namco System 256 system (DVD ROM drive, boards, etc..)

I think there's some available in the trading section.

Otherwise hklegend

Other people might be able to recommend other places.

2. A way to plug it into a modern LCD TV and produce audio and video

As Dreygor said, super easy, most monitors still have a VGA port and there's nothing weird about Sys2x6's "VGA" as far as I know. Just a simple 640x480.

The white and red RCA hookups on the front of the unit are ready for hooking up to your average built-in amp speaker set/soundbar.

3. A way to hook it up to a USB arcade stick/control panel or
alternatively, hook it up to something JAMMA-like that 8 button
compatible.

You want two things: the Undamned USB Decoder (or you can do it the hard way if you don't want to wait for stock) and one of the recommended superguns. RGB's CPS2IO is perfect for Sys2x6 because you already have video and sound sorted.

3b. A resource who makes custom control panels at specific size requirements

Sorry can't help.

4. A guide on how to wire everything because I'm a l0ser n00b

Dreygor has you covered here I think.

You need a standalone network, so just buy a cheap 4/5 port network switch and plug all your Sys2x6's into it. Don't connect it to your home network.

2. Buying games and dongle

I'd try the trading boards here first. Otherwise you can do hklegend as mentioned above.

Oh yeah if you're interested in any other Sys2x6 games (for instance I like Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition) I highly suggest you get the USB dongle in this forum. It runs Gundam fine.

You need a standalone network, so just buy a cheap 4/5 port network switch and plug all your Sys2x6's into it. Don't connect it to your home network.
System 256's networking is done with a Sys246 UE pcb which provides an ethernet port controlled by an ADMtek ADM8513 ethernet controller. I think all System 256 units and some 246C units, like Battle Gear 3, come packed with that pcb.

Yes most do, but careful when buying that it's there. Just check RJ45 at front. Some sellers sell it seperately

3. A way to hook it up to a USB arcade stick/control panel or

alternatively, hook it up to something JAMMA-like that 8 button
compatible.

You want two things: the Undamned USB Decoder (or you can do it the hard way if you don't want to wait for stock) and one of the recommended superguns. RGB's CPS2IO is perfect for Sys2x6 because you already have video and sound sorted.
Regarding both items, it looks like they're both sold out. Is there an alternative?

@CharGP02A

1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-Syst...803994?hash=item2850b61c9a:g:rz0AAOSwI3RW~VTP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-Syst...131837?hash=item23bf49ac3d:g:VBcAAOSwThddCNVT

2) Every LCD monitor with a VGA input I have hooked my System 256 to has worked fine. The audio is RCA out so you can either use a set of desktop PC speakers, run it out to an amplifier then to speakers or right into RCA inputs on a TV.

3) I would wire the cabinet up for JAMMA then you can use either a Capcomor Namco JVS I/O either one will work. For the kick harness I always use the Capcom one as it's pretty universal. i made a custom Namco to Capcom kick harness converter using JNX ( @XianXi ) capcom kick connector. Also install an external switch go back between 246 and 256 mode.

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

eaWypnD.jpg

Secondary
1) Depends on what is on your multiple machines list
2) As pointed out before .. https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...mes-for-namco-system-246-225-shipped-us.9655/

PS - I am also able to make power cables and kick harness connectors used in that picture.
Regarding the idea of the JAMMA connection, what arcade stick would I use for that?

Regarding the idea of the JAMMA connection, what arcade stick would I use for that?
This can go one of many ways also. Do you have a fight stick already in mind? Is it USB? What kind of internal controller does it have? Depending on what your answer is you could use a mini-supergun, mcthulhu controller, Brooks controller, or have/get it wired for JAMMA directly and not need any of the additional stuff.

Doing custom set-ups is NEVER just a cut and dry. There are many ways to get to a certain point .. usually the easiest ways are not the most cost effective.

Last edited:
This go one of many ways also. Do you have a fight stick already in mind? Is it USB? What kind of internal controller does it have? Depending on what your answer is you could use a mini-supergun, mcthulhu controller, Brooks controller, or have/get it wired for JAMMA directly and not need any of the additional stuff.
Doing custom set-ups is NEVER just a cut and dry. There are many ways to get to a certain point .. usually the easiest ways are not the most cost effective.
For testing purposes, I'd like to use my USB X-Arcade tank stick. For finished product purposes, I'd like to get either a more rectangular USB stick or some custom stick. Do JAMMA 8 button sticks exist?

For testing purposes, I'd like to use my USB X-Arcade tank stick. For finished product purposes, I'd like to get either a more rectangular USB stick or some custom stick. Do JAMMA 8 button sticks exist?
Never used an X-Arcade tank stick button configuration seems weird to me though. So I thought you said you wanted to use a 246/256 and possibly a Naomi set-up with this rig. Why do you need 8 buttons? However I do not know of any JAMMA 8 button stick .. most at that are 3 button (maybe four max) with a 3 button kick harness per player. Giving you a total of 6 buttons per player.

Most systems I know that go beyond that are the newer JVS systems like Taito Type X and newer systems then most of those systems stop at 7 button support. Really only need 8 buttons when you jump into running Playstations, Xboxes, and PCs.

Either do it the hard way that I mentioned, it's in stock, you just need to wire to your own db15. Or you can mod your stick.

Thing you will need most is patience. All this stuff is hobby made by people in their spare time.

Do not despair! It is possible, I've done it!

Never used an X-Arcade tank stick button configuration seems weird to me though. So I thought you said you wanted to use a 246/256 and possibly a Naomi set-up with this rig. Why do you need 8 buttons? However I do not know of any JAMMA 8 button stick .. most at that are 3 button (maybe four max) with a 3 button kick harness per player. Giving you a total of 6 buttons per player.
Most systems I know that go beyond that are the newer JVS systems like Taito Type X and newer systems then most of those systems stop at 7 button support. Really only need 8 buttons when you jump into running Playstations, Xboxes, and PCs.
Don't the Gundam games require 8 buttons for each player? I know that the PS3 and PS4 Gundam Vs games do.

Gundam VS Seed/Next/Extreme is 4 buttons. Melee, Shoot, Thrust, Search.

The extra buttons on PS2/3/4 are just key bindings, stuff like R1 = Thrust + Melee = Special Melee or whatever they mapped it to. Obviously to do special melee in arcade would be Thrust + Melee

Gundam VS Seed/Next/Extreme is 4 buttons. Melee, Shoot, Thrust, Search.

The extra buttons on PS2/3/4 are just key bindings, stuff like R1 = Thrust + Melee = Special Melee or whatever they mapped it to. Obviously to do special melee in arcade would be Thrust + Melee
Well this changes everything then. I didn't think that I could roll with a 6 button stick. Let's JAMMA this thing up. The Namco System 256 can handle the standard 56 pin out with conversion, right? If so, was everything I need listed?

Oh yeah, do you have direct links to the Capcom JAMMA stuff you mentioned? I didn't see them in the JNX site. If you're interested in wiring them for me, I'd be interested in paying for that. Let me know what you think.

Back