What's new

LetsPlayCafe

Beginner
Reaction score
Have a linked pair of these. On power on they tend to just come up black. But a quick power off and back on allows them to boot (most of the time) occasionally I need to reboot one or the other an additional time or two before it comes u1U si

Thinking power supplies getting tired? They use server style U1 size supplies (300w) which are stupidly expensive, thinking about putting a standard atx 500 in next to it and then running the cables in through the back of the case.

Did also notice a couple of the caps which looks suspicious (bent over about 30 degrees). Anyone done a cap kit on these boards?

Once I get them to boot consistently I need to figure out why one of them seems to have an intermittently problem with the steering IO board.

Thanks,
David

If the 5V is out of spec, you can black screen for sure. Sometimes with old power supplies they "warm up" (non-technical term) and suddenly work.

Id start with a new supply and go from there

I doubt the bent caps mean much at all. No bulging / leaking right? The top and the bottom of the caps should be flat, not domed. A good test is to take a piece of thick paper (business card, ect) and place it on the top of the cap. It should be flat against the top. If the middle is substantially raised up, it's time for a cap kit.

Caps can also dry out and work less than optimally. If you have a multimeter you can test for this

But I'd suggest a new supply and see. Obviously the boards are working, so I'd start with the power supply

Got a new supply, same result. Used a 500w computer supply that boots a PC every time no problem. But same thing on this board. First power black, quick off / on and it comes up. Power off wait a couple minutes and then same thing.

Hmm, wondering, the coin battery is probably bad, wonder if the "bios" is in a bad state on that first boot. Easy to check that when I get home tonight.

My guess it is the caps on the motherboard. You could try swapping over the motherboard.

I had a very similar issue and it was recapping the mobo that fixed it for me. Might as well change the cap(s) on the vid card as well. Can't remember if it was just one or had multiple.

Well I have made it worse, I pulled the battery off the mainboard and replaced it. But now when it "boots" on the second power cycle it just beeps. No actual boot.

Found a manual and from that it says "reboots on startup" -> Internal battery has run down -> Contact your distributor.

Well that doesn't sound good.

Last edited:
Well I have made it worse, I pulled the battery off the mainboard and replaced it. But now when it "boots" on the second power cycle it just beeps. No actual boot.

Found a manual and from that it says "reboots on startup" -> Internal battery has run down -> Contact your distributor.

Well that doesn't sound good.
ok first up the caps on the motherboard need replaced as previous stated by @nismopunch
this is your inconsistant boot issue.

next issue the beep sound.

most probable issue:
ya messed with the battery on the motherboard: fix below:

pull internal battery on motherboard boot up a few time no battery (you will get a message each time that you need to reboot). then when stable again put battery back in (you will get a message each time that you need to reboot). after first successful boot up it will have you reboot 1 last time.

or the beep your are getting is the power going to the video card is not right. you might have bumped or pulled that replacing the battery. so reseat it or check for issues there.

one other less likely possibility is cpu seating. not too likely but possible.

least probable issue:
last and likely least... you may have a bad stick of ram. i had two bad sticks and had a pain in the ass trouble shooting this out of one of my boards.

Last edited:
Ordered caps to do the board.

On the one that now just beeps, can't get it to go to a screen at all now. Just beeps. Reseated the ram / video card. With battery and without. Just beeps.

Back