The myth of Namco System 256 being more powerful than 246 has been around for as long as I can remember but can't seem to find a proper answer. All we know is:
- System 256 uses the combined Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer, EE+GS CXD9833GB, previously used on slim PS2 models, SCPH-7000X. System 246C still had the EE and GS separate despite the unified pcb design.
- System 256 no longer supports ATAPI commands. Any System 246 games that rely on these commands won't run on System 256 under normal circumstances.
- System 256 uses an additional expansion bus but only makes use of two boards with that bus.
- Time Crisis 4 has its EE+GS chip clocked higher than a standard 256 as well as additional ram. Clock speeds of both remain unknown.
- All System 256 games run at VGA res (I think).