What's new

molamola

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I'm very troubled about arcade game hardware because I'm a complete amateur

Although I purchase the HDD and dongle, the dongle has a special shape instead of usb, so it seems that it can not be used with ordinary PC

As the subjet, I just want to view the data, what should I do?

Will it be solved by purchasing taito type x3 itself?

Can someone tell me? I look forward to your reply ^^

Sorry man, you pretty much have a paper weight.

The drives are ATA locked and the key is derived from Dongle + Motherboard combo.

The drives and dongles arnt really interchangeable. Outside of maybe specific boards.

Depending on the drive, it's still possible to clear the ATA lock, but even if you get it mounted. The game and all its assets are stored in an encrypted container.

What version of Gunslinger Stratos is it?

thank you for your reply :)
I will follow your advice and look into it!

Then, I have gunslinger stratos "2"

The game and all its assets are stored in an encrypted container.
While we can't talk about it here, that's really not that large of a hurdle.

If you figure out the ATA lock bit and can get it imaged, @molamola, ping me about the other half. I have everything for GSS except the drive image, and would be happy to trade.

What kind of drive is it?
The device manager says WDC WD32 00LPVX(2.5inch)
But I'm not so detailed, I don't know if this is the information you want to know 8|

The game and all its assets are stored in an encrypted container.
While we can't talk about it here, that's really not that large of a hurdle.
If you figure out the ATA lock bit and can get it imaged, @molamola, ping me about the other half. I have everything for GSS except the drive image, and would be happy to trade.
To be honest, I'm just one of the arcade fans who aren't quite familiar with computers ||

In other words, even if I can unlock ATA rock, will there be another encryption failure, and will help me remove the failure?

If so, I will contact you at that time ^^

Thank you for letting me know

Last edited:
Getting the encryption keys from the security dongle is easy but you will need access to the HDD first. Once that happens I can help you with talking to the security dongle to get the decryption keys needed to mount and decrypt the game image. The virtual disk images are very easily mountable and accessible from windows. In fact, even without the dongle I think it would be possible to decrypt and dump the game files as the encryption on the virtual disk image is very weak.

I might be able to help you with the drive locking key in the future but not at present day. I dumped the BIOS for my X Zero unit and reverse engineered most of it to figure out how they lock key is generated. Unfortunately I skipped over all the PCI device specific code, which is where the unlock command is sent to the drive. I have plans to loop back and figure it out eventually, but currently I'm reverse engineering more interesting things and have just been hot swapping the HDD from my X Zero to get access to the files. Until then, best of luck.

In fact, even without the dongle I think it would be possible to decrypt and dump the game files as the encryption on the virtual disk image is very weak.
The dongle is definitely not necessary to decrypt.

I too have been hotswapping to gain drive access, so no knowledge on the ATA key.

Thank you guys for your reply ^^

Hmm・・・
To say honestly, I only understand half or less of your writing

To put it simply

① It is possible to browse and retrieve in-game data without using a dongle
② To do that, I need to create a virtual image from the HDD
③This is possible by using a method called HOT SWAP

Is this right?

When I connected the HDD to test and opened disk manager
It said You must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it

Is this a display that comes out if the HDD has an ATA lock, or has you bought a physically broken one?

Not quite.

Normally the X3 unlocks the drive. This is where you could hotswap, and copy the drive or extract the game image, but you don't have the X3 that was mated with this drive, so that will not work.

So you will need to unlock the drive another way.

Not quite.

Normally the X3 unlocks the drive. This is where you could hotswap, and copy the drive or extract the game image, but you don't have the X3 that was mated with this drive, so that will not work.

So you will need to unlock the drive another way.
Thanks I see :)

In the first place, I need to unlock the HDD without dongle...hmm
I'm investigating how to do it now, but it looks very difficult X/

The device manager says WDC WD32 00LPVX(2.5inch)But I'm not so detailed, I don't know if this is the information you want to know 8|
https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/X3_USB_softmod/issues/3
Wow! what a amaging program!!

I'll try it!!Thank you for your kindness :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The device manager says WDC WD32 00LPVX(2.5inch)But I'm not so detailed, I don't know if this is the information you want to know 8|
https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/X3_USB_softmod/issues/3
hi there ^^

Currently, I am proceeding according to the manual of the site that taught me and is doing the work of (4)
I'm currently working on this error but I don't know the solution ?(

Does anyone know anything about this?

Now,I emailed the question to the official website of the software
I'm waiting for a reply

Attachments

• SnapCrab_NoName_2019-10-24_21-23-34_No-00.png
    SnapCrab_NoName_2019-10-24_21-23-34_No-00.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I believe that program will show you the unlock password once the drive is already unlocked. As in, you would first need to boot the T3 unit with the drive attached, once it unlocks the drive you could hotswap the drive into your PC and use that program to see what the password actually is.

I tried what I just described with the HDD from my Type X Zero unit and was able to see the unlock password.

My Western Digital HDD has the backdoor master password set, yours may too. Try using "WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCW" without the quotes as the unlock password. For instructions on how to enter the password see the link above and look for the "Unlocking the drive" section.

I believe that program will show you the unlock password once the drive is already unlocked. As in, you would first need to boot the T3 unit with the drive attached, once it unlocks the drive you could hotswap the drive into your PC and use that program to see what the password actually is.

I tried what I just described with the HDD from my Type X Zero unit and was able to see the unlock password.

My Western Digital HDD has the backdoor master password set, yours may too. Try using "WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCW" without the quotes as the unlock password. For instructions on how to enter the password see the link above and look for the "Unlocking the drive" section.
Unfortunately you cannot use the master password to unlock these drives, you have to use the "user" password.

@molamola if you go into the "Data" or "Other" submenu there should be an option to just clear the password. Thats your easiest option, and since you only have the drive it doesn't matter.

Thank you both for your reply ^^

Unfortunately you cannot use the master password to unlock these drives, you have to use the "user" password.
@molamola if you go into the "Data" or "Other" submenu there should be an option to just clear the password. Thats your easiest option, and since you only have the drive it doesn't matter.

Just before Linux virtualization was over, I was just trying to remove the password.
Hmm・・・Can't use master password! It's a shame ;(

The error reading config also occurs for the password deletion option that you told me X/
Most other operations are not accepted.

I will try to change the environment a little.
If anyone knows about this error, Im looking forward to your reply.

Incidentally, I use Windows10 64bit.

@molamola how is the drive connected to your PC? Also you are not running this from inside a virtual machine are you? WDMarvel sends lowlevel commands to the SATA controller/drive, so a VM will most likely not work. Make sure you connect the drive directly to the motherboard as alot of the USB to SATA adapters are not compatible.

`Thank you very much for your quick reply. :)

@Niko I ran the software on a real computer, not virtual.
HDD is read from USB port using SATA USB adapter.

If so, I need to buy a new one because the SATA cable is the only one in use.

I will check for other causes and if not, I will buy a new cable :D

That program will provide the user password.

It does NOT need to be unlocked first. You don't need to clear the password. This program will read the user password from WD drives used in X3's. Full stop.

Common problems arise when using usb->sata adapters. Some work, some do not. Some sata controllers work, so do not. It's trial and error, but it works. There is no magic here.

Last edited:
Back