What's new
I figured it was a pin contact issue on the ex-board. Ordered a 2 inch long 40 pin male to female IDE cable. Plugged the card into the cable, cable into the board, game is firing up without issue every time now. It absolutely refused to work if the cart was plugged directly into the ex-board.

On the issue of cooling I run it with the top off with a fan setting on a corner. Works pretty good. I meant to put a fan inside but never did.

Attachments

• 20200128_095018.jpg
    20200128_095018.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 20200128_101806.jpg
    20200128_101806.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Is there a good drop in replacement for the PSU? seems I’m only getting 5v out of my atx connector. I think it was bricked by having jamma and the power adapter plugged in.

Checked voltages and that’s the only thing I can come up with.

Any tips or model #s would be awesome hoping it’s just the psu and not the MB

I think it was bricked by having jamma and the power adapter plugged in.
the big red switch on the back of the unit swaps between JAMMA power and power adapter, so there's no reason both can't be plugged in at the same time.

honestly you can use anything for a PSU as long as it outputs to a properly pinned ATX and 4-pin molex connectors.

So whats the latest with these? Gonna start looking into what issues the one I have has.

Anyone come up with a heatsink/fan combo, repalcement psu, ram upgrades, etc...

For me personally... I had 2 completely dead mobos, I was able to get them booting again by swapping in the consumer version of the mobo and swapping over the bios chip from the dead ones.

I ended up buying a "working" mobo that was also dead on arrival. so these things just suck for reliability.

after the consumer mobo swap the game will boot to the region warning screen and then throw a windows error about needing to be restarted because new hardware has been found. At this point you have to modify the game cart by disabling EWF so that the the copy of windows on the cart can save the new hardware configuration.

Personally I don't really like this and it will need to be done to every cart you ever want to run on the system with the non-original mobo, I've been through every setting in the BIOS and nothing changes the need for this, I think the "new hardware" is literally that the mobo is identifying itself different than the original somehow.

Got mine to power on finally after getting a new power supply but having the same problems @twistedsymphony had.. nothing on vga out on the mobo and green light flashing on the jamma pcb just blinks. Is the mobo dead? Seems like a giant pita. I have a working original so don't want to modify my game carts .. was just trying to bring this one back from the dead. Any tips?

Checked battery was @2.5v did a hot swap anyway with a new battery

I have a dead one that I havent messed with yet, and one that has had the MB replaced with consumer version by someone else on the way, they claim the game drives/carts do not need to be modified, we will see.

nothing on vga out on the mobo and green light flashing on the jamma pcb just blinks. Is the mobo dead?
yup, I've had 3 dead mobos all acting like this.

I've swapped to consumer mobos and now they boot, show the export warning screen then throw a windows error, I haven't messed with the EWF yet

I have a dead one that I havent messed with yet, and one that has had the MB replaced with consumer version by someone else on the way, they claim the game drives/carts do not need to be modified, we will see.
hmm ok if this is true would be nice I'll look for a consumer MB this week

Won't the only difference between consumer and the official be the BIOS version ?

should you be able to transplant bios? is there also some type of embedded hardware id that it may check for?

Won't the only difference between consumer and the official be the BIOS version ?
I swapped the bios chip over from the original version, I didn't see anything different looking over the two PCBs side by side, HOWEVER the detailed part number on the sticker on the bottom is different. both of my EXAMU mobos matched, and all 3 of my Consumer mobos Matched, but the consumer and EXAMU mobos don't match.

basically when you try to boot windows throws an error that new hardware has been automatically installed and the PC needs to be rebooted. only because of the write filter the new hardware isn't actually installed and you'll get this message every time unless you unlock the cart and allow windows to modify the driver info on your cart.

my first thought was this was some bios setting enabling hardware that is normally disabled on the EXAMU mobo, but I first tried disabling everything I could then, I found someone with an original working EXAMU mobo still on battery to go through the bios pages to make mine match... nether of these helped get rid of the new hardware message

I noticed a lot of jumpers not sure what they do would they have any effect on something like that? I’m not super savvy with pc stuff.

Do you remember what the new hardware it discovered was ?

OK, just bought a non-working motherboard and AH2 from @ekorz

So, totally unfamiliar with this system.

1. Can I power via the HAS on JAMMA edge or does it need it's own PSU?
2. Can I power it on without a game inserted just to see if it boots?

Right now, no game in, using HAS via JAMMA edge I get no power indications anywhere on the mobo.

What's my first step?

1. Can I power via the HAS on JAMMA edge or does it need it's own PSU?
it requires 5A on the 12V line, this can be supplied from a dedicated laptop style PSU (plugged in on the connector on the back) or via the JAMMA edge. the switch on the back is what switches between JAMMA power and the power input port.

2. Can I power it on without a game inserted just to see if it boots?
you can, these units are just PCs and game is literally a hardrive with the operating system on it, so booting without a game is like turning on a PC without any hard drives installed.

Thanks, I guess it's dead for now. I'll take some time to read this thread in detail when I have it.

Wait, I guess I don't know for sure, does the HAS provide 5A on the 12V line?

Last edited:
Back