What's new
Is it easy to upgrade a 256mb net dimm to 512mb?

How is this done?
1. buy compatible ram (listed earlier in this thread)
2. install ram

that's it.

There are 2 memory slots you either need 1 ram stick or 2 matching ram sticks
if your lucky your 256MB DIMM board will have 1 RAM stick with a model number that's easy to source. then all you'll have to do is buy a second matching stick.

if you're unlucky it will have an unmarked stick, or one that you can't find anymore, or two 128MB sticks, in which case you'll have to buy 2 matching and compatible 256MB sticks or a single compatible 512MB stick to install.

Not only is it easy, it's cheap! I upgraded my 256MB DIMM to 512MB for 12$ with some RAM on eBay.

slightly off topic anyone want to create 256mb 512mb 1gig stickers for the dims
This is a fantastic idea. I don't have stickers on any of my DIMM boards but I found some decent images of the 3 sticker types that someone could use for reference...

The 1GB image is kind of crappy but it's good enough to pull the color and confirm that it's written as "1GB"

Attachments

• 512MB.jpg
    512MB.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 256MB.jpg
    256MB.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 1GB.jpg
    1GB.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 168
slightly off topic anyone want to create 256mb 512mb 1gig stickers for the dims
IMG_1054.JPG
I'll get some digital calipers soon and take measurements for you.

As for my 512 NetDimm, it has Hynix HY57V28820HCT-H. I have another 512 NetDimm. I'll check that later.

IMG_1052.JPG

So on boot up, is the memory test twice as long with a 512MB dimm compared to 256MB one?

So on boot up, is the memory test twice as long with a 512MB dimm compared to 256MB one?
yes
no'CHEKING MEMORY ..%' time depends on game binary size only.
So the memory test is only testing the size of the game that's loaded into memory, and not the entire size of the memory installed?

So the memory test for the same game takes exactly the same amount of time on a 256MB, 512MB, or 1024MB Net-dimm?

Thanks,

So the memory test is only testing the size of the game that's loaded into memory, and not the entire size of the memory installed?

So the memory test for the same game takes exactly the same amount of time on a 256MB, 512MB, or 1024MB Net-dimm?

Thanks,
Yes.

I had no idea you could just match RAM model and upgrade a DIMM. Awesome info!

I have a dimm with matched sticks and it works fine. Maybe I'm just lucky. Came to me like that btw.

The netdimm in my Naomi 2 setup originally had 256MB Samsung stick. I took it out saw the serial and model, went on eBay and managed to find a matching pair. To make sure it worked after boot up I loaded one of the bigger games I believe melty blood. Think I got lucky though, this was years ago though. Don't know it it would be hard to find matching sticks of memory now.

Nah, old simms are all over ebay.

Could someone please post a link to a pair of 512MB sticks that I could use to upgrade my netdimm...?
If you want 512MB then buy two of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-M36...755286?hash=item3d09765616:g:IBwAAOSwDNdV12uM

There are no Net-bootable NAOMI games that need 1GB. The only games out of everything that is net/cf-bootable that need 1GB is
Gundam battle operating simulator on Chihiro and Outrun 2 SP on Chihiro (Only this specific version, Outrun 2, Outrun 2 Beta, and Outrun 2 Special Tours all have 512mb variants)

everything else on Chihiro and Tri-Foce need 512MB,
there are 0 games on NAOMI 2 that need more that 256MB and only 5 games on NAOMI 1 that need 512MB

Could someone please post a link to a pair of 512MB sticks that I could use to upgrade my netdimm...?
If you want 512MB then buy two of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-M36...755286?hash=item3d09765616:g:IBwAAOSwDNdV12uM
There are no Net-bootable NAOMI games that need 1GB. The only games out of everything that is net/cf-bootable that need 1GB is
Gundam battle operating simulator on Chihiro and Outrun 2 SP on Chihiro (Only this specific version, Outrun 2, Outrun 2 Beta, and Outrun 2 Special Tours all have 512mb variants)

everything else on Chihiro and Tri-Foce need 512MB,
there are 0 games on NAOMI 2 that need more that 256MB and only 5 games on NAOMI 1 that need 512MB
Good info thanks T

Back