What's new
Wire wheel is how I did it. Trust me and dont try just threading the nut. I broke a bolt right off trying to do that before the wire wheel method.

I got another 20 minutes to work on them today

Last screen cover installed

Rolled out the graphics. Expect it take a couple weeks.

Placed x4 foot pads in a bucket of soapwater overnight

were you able to get them black dots removed?
I soaked and scrubbed but couldnt remove it

I don't know yet. They may soak until Monday. I will see if I can make it out there during the weekend.

My plan is to use a a few lithium scrubs after cleaning to get a nice moisturized rubber look.

Trust me and dont try just threading the nut. I broke a bolt right off trying to do that before the wire wheel method.
I've never had that happen. As long as you get it on the right track and you have the correct threading (metric!!), it should turn with little effort. I always use a lubricant as well.

Nothing wrong with wire wheeling, however, IMO it can sometimes snag and jump, and then there's the risk of scratching up the paintwork nearby.

Those "dots" are actually the top ply of grey being chipped or worn off and showing the black layer underneath.

One of the foot rests turned out really good

The other three look like poo and have a lot of black showing through.

Does any one know of a trade that coats rubber with a new gray layer. Plan B would be to paint and plan C would be to use another rubber surface and cut to size.

I would love some insight on this one

have you tried bleche white on that?
No buts it’s on the list now. I would like to remove anything before wrapping or priming.

I am going to call my Vinyl wrappers and ask them about rubber applications.

I may drop them off at Maaco and have them auto painted.

My other idea was to apply vinyl prep applicator, 2 coats of rubber primer, vinyl prep applicator, then 2 coats of Rubber grey paint. Then drop them off with my dent guy for 1 coat of clear coat.I would use PRE

Until then I set the foot rests aside for later and started assembling the control panels

Those guys powder coated everything including those black rectangles. I don’t know what rectangles are for but they look striking in contrast to the white.

Assembled 2 CP’s:

Mounted one with x21 screws and placed the other:

Gotta admit, I was worried about you hoagy when this all started, but you've really turned around! I am so proud of you! :thumbsup:

Folks will be coming to this thread for years looking for tips and tricks on restoring candy cabs!

the black plates are where you place your pricing stickers!!! someone else was kind enough to point that out for me.

You can put 100y on one side, and 50y on the other, and just flip the plate over, depending on the game you have in.....pretty brilliant.

I have three with the black plates.

The other is a River City panel. Is your Joystick panel centered or off to the left?

I ordered an extra (grade b) side art for the river city CP upper overlay so I can match it to the rest of the art.

The square cutouts were removed from later panels, so that's why they can seem odd.

the black plates are where you place your pricing stickers!!! someone else was kind enough to point that out for me.
I seem to remember reading the cutout was meant for some kind of LED display. There's also another rectangular cutout right below it on the front of the panel which probably relates to it.

Happy it turned out for you dude. You killed it! When you first posted the filthy cabs I was like... gross. Now I’m in awe!

The square cutouts were removed from later panels, so that's why they can seem odd.

I seem to remember reading the cutout was meant for some kind of LED display. There's also another rectangular cutout right below it on the front of the panel which probably relates to it.
From what I read the cutouts on the front of the panel, one was for an additional coin counter like some neo cabs supposedly have and the other was for headphone jack ports for people to have headphones.

The headphone jacks are on the left, so that's not what the cutout on the right is for.

The cutout on the right is rectangular, perfect size for a card reader. I wonder if it was meant to house a reader for these:

http://reassembler.blogspot.com/2019/02/sega-game-cards.html

The credit counter could show many credits you had left on your card?

Naturally this is just guesswork on my part, but the time period fits.

Wow @nem, I've never seen those before. Remind me of the phonecards they had in Australia and also Japan which were similar.

Back