What's new
Why you rolling your eyes at me lol ;(

I'm using RGB's MD8 to SCART PCB and it works fine! I've tested it with and without Step up pcb.

I've not tried to connect stereo sound, though, but it disconnects audio when I plug an audio cable :thumbup:

Reactions: RGB
I'm using RGB's MD8 to SCART PCB and it works fine! I've tested it with and without Step up pcb.

I've not tried to connect stereo sound, though, but it disconnects audio when I plug an audio cable :thumbup:
Awesome. Do you have some pictures? I haven't ordered the PCBs yet.

I'll take photos tomorrow. I'd maybe cut one or two mm at the left to make it fit better in the SCART case.

I took a photo... the case broke when reassembling, so definitely it would be very nice to cut a few milimeters from the pcb, at least for these connectors from tme.eu.

md8toscart.jpg

Once installed the step-up circuit covers the HAS logo.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic.

Where does a few mm need to be trimmed?

@rsignal it looks great! I don't have photos, but I printed this design on a piece of paper and it matched my Scart plug (some no-name brand) perfectly, way better than the one from tme.

Was it difficult to solder the PCB to the Scart contacts? When I order these, I'll likely choose 2mm thick PCBs.

the case broke when reassembling, so definitely it would be very nice to cut a few milimeters from the pcb, at least for these connectors from tme.eu.
This reminds me of something - the last time I ordered the Scart plugs from tme I couldn't use them, because the plastic was very brittle and smelt weird. Looks like your Scart is brittle, too?

Last edited:
Was it difficult to solder the PCB to the Scart contacts? When I order these, I'll likely choose 2mm thick PCBs.
One tip I can offer... Use two thin plastic cards (such as a credit card etc) to evenly space and centre the PCB between the scart pins. One card rests on the bottom between the topside of the bottom row of scart pins and the underside of the PCB - for the top row only place the card half way along the scart pins to keep some exposed for soldering. Solder down one pin, check alignment, if okay then proceed with a few more and then remove the top card and finish off. Once the top is soldered and it's secure, remove the bottom card and finish off soldering.

2mm PCBs would be better but it's entirely possible with 1.6mm.

The generous pad size makes it very easy to align and solder the pins. Great job! I take note about 2mm thick pcbs, it's a good idea.

Maybe the plastic is a bit brittle... like all SCART connectors I used. I didn't notice any weird smell.
That looks fantastic.

Where does a few mm need to be trimmed?
At the left of the HAS logo in the photo and upwards the "by RGB" text.

I see it now. Doesn't look like it's over by much, could have possibly carefully filed the PCB down a little?

I see it now. Doesn't look like it's over by much, could have possibly carefully filed the PCB down a little?
Good point.. I'll assembly my third unit with the PCB inserted in the SCART plastic.

I've asembled my remaining PCB from RGB's Oshpark and I confirm that it fits perfectly in the TME SCART connectors. This time I've soldered it once placed into the plastic case as suggested by Frank_fjs :thumbup:

Reactions: RGB
Not sure if this should go into an independent thread, but here I go... I've just received the blue DAP Audio Minidin 8 to Minidin 8 cable. Although it looks and feels good for the price after some use I can notice a cheap feeling. There is continuity between the metallic case at both ends.

While using it I can't notice any difference with my homemade cable using a TDK ferrite (ZCAT 2035-0930) and Tasker C246 cable. The connector is better, though, and that flat surface on the top is really convenient.

I've ordered the cable recommended by RGB, will share impressions once I get it. https://www.ebay.es/itm/Mini-Din-md...uble-Shield-6-ft-male-male-Cable/371930292507

Last edited:
The metal case is grounded, which it's supposed to be, thus the continuity.

I found it much better with a noticeable difference to the one that ships with Tim's scart kit.

I don't think there's a better cable out there for the price.

Great bang for the buck, that's for sure. I'm happy with the purchase. It saves you from soldering those tiny and close MD8 pins... at least for me, it's nearly impossible to use heat-shrink tube for every pin, so I first solder +5V and GND to make sure they are properly isolated. Once soldered all the pins (one or two doesn't have heatshrink protection) I apply Araldite epoxy and a new heatshrink to all the cables.

The Mini Din 8 cable from Kray Cables arrived. It oozes quality in every detail and according to the manufacturer the pins are gold flashed, a process similar to plating with a lighter coating seem to be gold plated. The strain relief is very nice.

I'm using it with a TDK ZCAT2035-0930 ferrite and it fits perfectly.

This cable can be purchased directly on Kray Cables website in this link. The manufacturer has confirmed the cable is the same.

cables-1.jpg cables-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about to make a few of @RGBs "8MD to SCART" and thought to consolidate the materials / files I'll use.

Attached the for Digi-Key (4 components)
RGB's link here to his OSHPark project, I'll probably go with either JLCPCB or PCBWay
:?: I'm not sure if it's considered good or bad practice to share the Gerber of RGB's files here which I converted from .brd in Eagle, credit remains exclusively to RGB :!:

NB: I'll be sourcing the DC step-up (Pololu U3V12F12) and the SCART connectors separately

For reference: image credit to @pacoarcade
md8toscart.jpg

Attachments

• BOM_DIGIKEY.txt
    351 bytes · Views: 199
is there a point of using this adapter with the minigun? im looking for the best solution to have minidin8 to scart option. thinking of making my own cables or doing this. cause buying and shipping cables from retrorgb is at terrible price now

Back