What's new

SurferGuy420

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have some Model 2 and Model 3 pcbs that need new roms.

The boards that are getting updates are within the same step (e.g. updating VF2 to VF2.1, changing a Model 3 step 1 game to a different step 1 game, etc.) so as far as I can tell it shouldn't be a problem.

I already have a rom burner, so I believe the only thing I need to do is figure out what type of roms I need to order ?( I tried looking at pictures of the boards, but comparing them to the MAME sets got me confused and I didn't trust myself enough to pull the trigger on purchasing anything.

Does anyone know what type of roms I have to buy? Thanks in advance!

ts_eprom_xref.jpg

"on disk" is the size of the ROM file as it would be reported by windows
"in MAME" is the size of the ROM file as reported within MAME source

EPROMs within the same color group mean that you can double the ROM file and write it to the next size down the list.

obviously it's not comprehensive but it seems to cover 99% of the stuff I typically need to program.
it depends on the file you’re looking to replace and the pin count of the chip

Look up the file in mame: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/model2.cpp or look at the actual file if you’ve downloaded the rom.

cross reference with that sheet quoted above. This is also helpful to identify the chip. Count the pin legs and figure out the file size via above: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/EPROM

what programmer have you got?
i was surprised to see the TL866 series wont program those - or any 42pin eprom.

xeltek superpro 610p, it’s great.

But top3000 will do 42pins also, I’ve owned that in the past.

Also I *think* TL866 will do 42pins but you have to use an adapter and split files up. pain in the ass with this many, but possible.

Personally I have a GQ-4X with an ADP-054 adapter, not sure if I have to split files but I'm sure I can get a hold of the manual somehow :P

Also I *think* TL866 will do 42pins but you have to use an adapter and split files up. pain in the ass with this many, but possible.
That's right. You program them as 27C4096, one bank at a time. I did a conversion like this once. It wasn't that bad, I watched a movie while doing it.

My adapter originally had jumpers, but I replaced them with small slide switches. I've also seen an adapter with a rotary switch, that's even better.

Afterwards I got a Xeltek 610p, which is great. But it was also $300, as opposed to the $50 that the Minipro and adapter cost.

but what takes the piss is the TL866 is a 48pin programmer!!
maybe the 3rd party software does a better job.

I'm looking to burn a complete Sonic the Fighters (not Championship) set, are there any good suppliers of these chips or is it a crap shoot that you actually get the chips you want and not fakes?

40pin socket??

the sales hype says:
5. Wide range of chip 15000+ support, support for serial and parallel series 40/44/48PIN large capacity FLASH

A friend just told me that some Model 3 boards had security pcbs? I guess that means I can't just burn the roms anymore, now I have to find the security boards too...

Last edited:
Model 3 only used security boards on step 2 / 2.1 boards on most but not all games no security boards on step 1 and 1.5 so i guess these are fair game

Ah you're right, it appears one of the stacks I have to convert requires a security board. That's a shame.

The others appear to be fine though, were there any Model 2 boards that had security pcbs or was it just Model 3?

Edit: According to this website Model 3 Step 1 had security boards too :( https://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_3#Step_1.0

Last edited:
i have never seen a step 1 with a security board or even the connector to plug one into.

as for model 2 boards some have security boards most don`t (dead or alive , zero gunner and dynamite cop have security boards there may be others)

Ah ok, thanks again :D

Update: Welp, it seems the place I used to buy my rom chips from doesn't sell them anymore.

The only place I can find them now are on eBay and alibaba, neither of which I'm in a rush to really trust :/ Do you guys have any preferred place or seller to buy them from?

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks again :D

Update: Welp, it seems the place I used to buy my rom chips from doesn't sell them anymore.

The only place I can find them now are on eBay and alibaba, neither of which I'm in a rush to really trust :/ Do you guys have any preferred place or seller to buy them from?
Oof, very late but I trust this seller. I purchased two of those EEPROMs, UV'd them up, then put them in my burner to verify blank, then burned them and they worked a treat for my custom modified Sonic the Fighters program ROMs!

Ahh nice, thanks so much :thumbsup: Looking forward to getting these done too, really appreciate it!

A very old bump but I feared my M27C4002-80XF1 had died after I couldn't write to them after erasure, but they were just being fickle.

The ebay seller still has them available for $16.99 each but I also decided to try utsource due to how inexpensive it looked. I fully bought them expecting them to be fakes/repaints, but they arrived today and passed the acetone test. The exposed dies also look identical, so for $3.44 I think is a very good deal. They look a little rough around the edges so they might not be NOS but if they can be written to and read, I think it's a steal!

Back