What's new

Jimd0585

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m new to arcades. I bought a super gun on AliExpress. Yes I know some people say they are junk, but I have their NeoGeo box and it works great. So I took the plunge, bought their Jamma Cbox and a CPS 2 A and B board set.

I have the super gun connected via component to a Retrotink which converts it to HD, then to a scan line generator and into my HD tv. It works fine, Sound and controls work. I even got the kick harness working. However, occasionally my tv will lose a signal for a few seconds. When the picture and sound comes back the game is still going. So the board isn’t resetting.

Is this a board issue? A Cbox issue? A power issue? Any idea what the culprit may be?

I’ll add that I removed the retotink and plugged component directly into the tv. The picture looks terrible, but I didn’t notice any loss of picture unless I moved the dials on the Cbox adjusting the picture. Is it there isn’t enough voltage running to the CPS2 and into the tink?

Thanks,

Jim

Since you dont have a problem without the Retrotink,

1. Is the tink getting enough power?
2. The tink's power plug plugged in properly?
3. Have you tested the tink with other boards?

I don’t have other boards to try sadly, this is my first.

So with the Retrotink plugged in the picture looks better, but every minute or so goes blank for about 2 seconds. Voltage turned all the way up on the Cbox reads 5.19v

With the Cbox plugged in via component directly to the tv, the picture doesn’t look as good but the screen doesn’t go black as often. Maybe every 2 minutes. Voltage turned up max on the Cbox reads 5.21V

I’m still hearing sound so I don’t think it’s necessarily the Cbox (which is brand new). I’m going to get some alcohol cleaner and clean the contacts on the CPS2 board when I can. It is old. I got it used but got a good deal on it. I don’t think it’s the CPS2 board though.

Thoughts?

these games want 5v not 5.2v, so you can dial that back down.

You said you have a neo geo of theirs, does it behave the same way when running through the same video chain?

my money is on your tv (or something in the video chain) expecting 60hz sync signal, but the cps2 sending 59.6hz sync. But if that were true you’d have issues with the neo geo as well since it’s like 59.1hz.

I don’t know what a retrotink is, does it convert to hdmi? Because that would probably be it. Tv on hdmi wants 60hz and it’s not getting it. Try another tv and see. I bet your component input is more forgiving of sync. (So can you run your MVS on hdmi?)

Thanks. I’ll dial the bolts to 5 or as close to it I as I can get. The Retrotink takes an input of composite, component, or s video and converts it to HDMI. I can do line doubling as well or have that turned off.

yes, my MVS Cbox works just flawlessly with the Cbox.

So I tried just composite into my tv without the Retrotink and there seems to be no video issues. The picture looks grainy. I think it’s the component video from the Cbox. My tv must be too sensitive for it? It’s a nice tv so I can’t really get rid of it. I just don’t know what else I could do to get it working correctly on it.

Ohhhh big clue, my tv shows the signal as 480i. That mean anything?

what pcb is this happening with?

My supergun will do the same thing on my CPS 2 stuff if the sync level on my Framemeister isn't adjusted. Sometimes the signal goes SLIGHTLY out of range, and you will get these blips

@Jimd0585 you can try it on other TVs to confirm the issue. If other TVs seem stable then I’d wager it’s the sync rate. You can add a sync stabilizing device to your video chain, like an iscan vp50 to frame lock the signal at 60hz https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/05/25/iscan-vp50-pro/

still what happens when you run the mvs up through hdmi? Same thing?

Awbacon1, it is MSH v. Capcom.

Ekorz, the Cbox MVS board never has had the problem. Component worked fine. I ordered an S-Video cable online for $5. It's going to be a few days, but the next step is to try the composite into the Retrotink and convert it to HDMI since it works directly into the TV with no problems. If Composite through the tink to HDMI works fine, I will step up to Svideo.

I know very little about all this, but I have a feeling the frame rates (sync rate) is the issue and the TV just doesn't like the component input from the Cbox. I will add that when I had component into the tink or directly into the TV and I toughed the dials on the CBOX controlling vertical and horizontal shift the signal would be lost for a couple seconds. With composite from the CBOX directly to the TV I could adjust the dials with no loss of signal on the TV.

Ekorz, the Cbox MVS board never has had the problem. Component worked fine. I ordered an S-Video cable online for $5. It's going to be a few days, but the next step is to try the composite into the Retrotink and convert it to HDMI since it works directly into the TV with no problems. If Composite through the tink to HDMI works fine, I will step up to Svideo.

I know very little about all this, but I have a feeling the frame rates (sync rate) is the issue and the TV just doesn't like the component input from the Cbox. I will add that when I had component into the tink or directly into the TV and I toughed the dials on the CBOX controlling vertical and horizontal shift the signal would be lost for a couple seconds. With composite from the CBOX directly to the TV I could adjust the dials with no loss of signal on the TV.
So it's CPS II. I've had the exact same issue. It's sync related. Not sure what if anything the Retrotink can do about it (since I solved it on Framemeister with sync level) but you def need to get sync in line to remedy this.

I'd go with ekorz advice here

So it's CPS II. I've had the exact same issue. It's sync related. Not sure what if anything the Retrotink can do about it (since I solved it on Framemeister with sync level) but you def need to get sync in line to remedy this.
I'd go with ekorz advice here
Thanks AWbacon1 and all for the advice. I will keep you updated, especially after the S-Video cable. Is there noticeable lag with the sync stabilizer? Is it a line doubler as well? Do I run component in? Sorry for the questions.

@Jimd0585 you can try it on other TVs to confirm the issue. If other TVs seem stable then I’d wager it’s the sync rate. You can add a sync stabilizing device to your video chain, like an iscan vp50 to frame lock the signal at 60hz https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/05/25/iscan-vp50-pro/

still what happens when you run the mvs up through hdmi? Same thing?
Is the iScan-VP50 the only solution? I know this isn't a cheap hobby, but with all I've spent recently, are there any other solutions?

So I found an HDMI computer monitor and tried it. Still had the problem. Retried component into my tv, component into my Retrotink->hdmi to tv, composite into tv, and composite into Retrotink-> hdmi to tv...

Results are that composite directly into the tv is stable. Everything else: hdmi to tv from Retrotink and component directly into tv does not work.

mom happy enough that I can play it stable, but frustrated. I assume then it’s the Component sending a signal and the tink sending a signal that newer TVs just don’t like. So, in summation, would a video sync solve this? I may honestly try and find a component CRT. Do those exist?

You could try a supergun that’s not a cbox, along with the retrotink 2x. It is the 2x right? The company is retrotink, the product is 2x. I have no idea how the cbox is converting the video or handling the jamma level video signals anyway. Their mvs unit wasn’t doing it right, so I wouldn’t be surprised if their supergun also has a similar shortcoming.

https://www.retrorgb.com/cbox-aliexpress-mvs-outputs-improper-sync.html

Also looks like the 2x has a firmware update that could help?
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-firmware-upgrade

The fact that only composite is working could mean there is some sync level issue on other inputs. I am not familiar with that cbox deal. Is it sync on composite? Luma? Etc.

It could be that ONLY composite is working because it’s the only signal carrying the sync signal correctly.

Weird problem. Obv sync related but what particular part ISNT working isn’t currently clear

also per the link ekorz mentioned, the TTL voltage clearly was an issue for this company on the sync line.

also per the link ekorz mentioned, the TTL voltage clearly was an issue for this company on the sync line.
Yes. I know the MVS Cbox fried Mad little pixel's OSSC. I wonder if the something similar is going on with component output on my Jamma Cbox. I find it strange though that composite works just fine directly into the TV but through the Retrotink 2X outputted as HDMI it does not. That has me all kinds of confused.

Well, I can't really do a whole lot. So it looks like I am stuck. If I can find an old CRT with component or S-Video input, that may be my best bet. AWBacon1, I am also thinking your CP2 comment may have something to do with it... that board may be causing the problems.

Yes. I know the MVS Cbox fried Mad little pixel's OSSC. I wonder if the something similar is going on with component output on my Jamma Cbox. I find it strange though that composite works just fine directly into the TV but through the Retrotink 2X outputted as HDMI it does not. That has me all kinds of confused.
Well, I can't really do a whole lot. So it looks like I am stuck. If I can find an old CRT with component or S-Video input, that may be my best bet. AWBacon1, I am also thinking your CP2 comment may have something to do with it... that board may be causing the problems.
Yeah without testing on multiple sources its hard to narrow it down outside of "sync issue", but that's definitely what is going on. I can't recall exactly what the CPS 2 sync rate is, but I know even the Framemeister is touchy when it comes to it. I've never lost signal, but I do get minor distortion "blips" when capturing the footage, and that's down to it losing sync for maybe 1/60th of a second.

Back