What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
I've got two Naomi motherboards and a gdrom drive that have knackered fans in them.

The Naomi uses a Sepa HFB44B-05A but they're hard to find and expensive so are there any alternatives?

I haven't pulled the gdrom apart yet as thanks to Mitsu' I'm running cf instead.

You need the case fan or the CPU fan? There are a lot of fans that fit in the case if you splice the wires. The CPU fan is trickier because it needs the sensor wire.

I think I'm sorted for the case fan - the CPU one is the issue as it squeals like a pig.

the only CPU fans I've ever seen cost 20€ each plus shipping...I'd like to change mines but is too expensive :(

I don't need replacements at the moment but I've heard of enough problems with these fans I'm interested in picking up some spares if anyone discovers a solution.

I've heard the NAOMI2 CPU fans are even harder to source.

I've heard the NAOMI2 CPU fans are even harder to source.
Yes and that is part of the advice Ken gave me here:

"Fans I use for Chihiro XGPU replacement are Link Depot p/n FAN-5010-B is a 50mmx50mmx8mm 12v ball bearing fan I mount to heatsink firing down into heatsink. The fan I use on GDROM drives, Naomi cases, Triforce is Link depot p/n FAN-6015-B. The low profile Naomi 2 fan occasionally used on Naomi also like yours for instance are ball bearing units so they are rebuildable. I buy 4x2x1.5mm new bearings on ebay either from US or China and fans like new."

Case: (same as CPS2)
Papst 612 FL 60mm

CPU: (Naomi2)
SUNON Maglev KDE0504PFV3 40x40x10

I have not tested them yet, they are still unpacked. But I read thats the best option.

Sorry for a bit of a rez here, but I'm looking to replace the CPU fan with something quiter. I have some nice noctua fans, they have rpm wires but from what I've read they wont work for whatever reason. Anyone got experience with this besides just buying an overpriced specific fan?

Sorry for a bit of a rez here, but I'm looking to replace the CPU fan with something quiter. I have some nice noctua fans, they have rpm wires but from what I've read they wont work for whatever reason. Anyone got experience with this besides just buying an overpriced specific fan?
The NAOMI CPU fan is a 5V fan where as most PC fans are 12V.. so in addition to the RPM wire you'll need a fan that can run full speed at 5V.

From what I've been told the other problem is the type of pulse output on the RPM wire, it's not a standard PC style pluse and as a result a normal PC fan wont work. I don't know much more about it than that.

getting 12v is pretty easy, it's the pulse that's a problem

For Naomi, Triforce, Chihiro, Sega Model 3, Sun PSU... case fans, how many CFM ? I'd like quietter fans, but I must have suffisant wind.

Unfortunately it's out of my range of expertise but surely you could fake the rpm with an arduino or pi or something. Wouldn't it be a matter of matching the pulse?

Hi guys don't want to hijack the thread or anything but, I was cleaning my naomi 2's today, changing CR2032s and the Supercaps. When I got to the fans and took off the plastic to add fishing reel ball bearing lube, I noticed these fans have an actual IC on them. Here's the picture http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/cruzlink2/Mobile Uploads/P_20161202_224921_1_p.jpg
Thats a Hall effect sensor ic (used in 3 wire fan/fans with tach output wire), were it a PWM fan (4 wires) it would be referred to as PWM driver ic.

Last edited:
Thanks @'Derick2k for clarifying that for me. Does that make it harder to find a replacement?

Thanks @'Derick2k for clarifying that for me. Does that make it harder to find a replacement?
Oh man, I have PWM in the head today after replacing like 8 PWM fans today on a few servers at work today.

Sorry, the IC that you see there is basically a similar circuit to this:

cixWH.gif

Its whats called a hall effect switch/sensor. Packaged in that IC form, it can house other components/protection circuits as well.

You just need to get a 40mm 5v fan with the tach wire that will provide the cooling you need. Most should work fine. The stock fan is rated at 16cfm I believe.

What is the best lube to use for fans?

What is the best lube to use for fans?
I would go with a light weight machine oil for ball bearing fans cause it can penetrate the tight tolerances, something like sewing machine oil is pretty good. For sleeve fans something a little heavier with a little cling to it.

Back