What's new
Awesome thanks!!
Whew, I just ordered a regular dimm, and am glad that I don't need a net dimm....those things have gotten very pricey!!!

Get yourself an IDE CF adapter while you are waiting. They are less than $5 on eBay shipped from China which will take two weeks. While you are there, pick up some of the Cisco CF cards. Lots of people have good luck with those for this purpose. Not all CF cards work for this purpose, stick to the list of the ones that do to save some headache. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks acblunden2, I'll look into that. I haven't burned games onto a CF card myself before but will look into it. If it seems too complicated for me or if I don't have the components I need I will just purchase them off of Mitsurugi-w.

Hey guys,
I had my regular DIMM upgraded by Mitsu to firmware 4.0.2. When I have the compact flash card inserted into the CF kit, I boot into a black screen. If I remove the card I can boot into the GD-Rom error screen. This leads me to believe there's a problem with the cf card. Is there a way I can verify the cf card?

A bad cable may be the reason too. But you can try a different CF card and if it works, would save you a lot of headache. When you burned the bin file, did the byte number change on you?

I didn't write the cf card myself. Bought from Mitsu.

Mitsu would likely use only CF cards that are known to work. What cable are you using? That could be a problem too. I am in San Jose as well, I can bring a know working cable and test it out on your rig. If it works, then you just need to replace the cable. I can also try your card on my rig. Let me know how you want to do it. Where you are located in San Jose?

Thank you for offering @acblunden2! I'm located in South San Jose by the Kaiser hospital.

I feel very very dumb. I'm using the genuine Sega SCSI cable and power splitter to power the CF kit. The CF card Mitsu used is a Cisco brand, which I use myself for other applications. I checked voltages and everything checked out.

Except, I forgot to hook up the doll...err the JVS cable. Once I plugged that in and powered everything back up, we were in business. So boys and girls... make sure all your Tab A's are inserted into your Slot B's.

Thank you for offering @acblunden2! I'm located in South San Jose by the Kaiser hospital.

I feel very very dumb. I'm using the genuine Sega SCSI cable and power splitter to power the CF kit. The CF card Mitsu used is a Cisco brand, which I use myself for other applications. I checked voltages and everything checked out.

Except, I forgot to hook up the doll...err the JVS cable. Once I plugged that in and powered everything back up, we were in business. So boys and girls... make sure all your Tab A's are inserted into your Slot B's.
We all have been there. At least you didn't fry anything and that is proof that Mits doesn't ship out junk.

Nope. Never knowingly ship non-working things. I test everything on my setups but since everyone has different setups you never know the end result. Especially with Naomi.

I'm looking at acquiring a couple of Naomi 1 boards with 256 Dimm cards and just want to be sure I'm understanding it all correctly.

So from what I understand, the Dimm itself needs a chip upgraded and the new firmware installed which requires a Net-Dimm to do and then you need one of the CF reader sets to actually load the roms once this has been completed. Also it seems as though the CF cards are not so straight forward to burn yourself is this correct or is it actually relatively straight forward?

As there is a lack of Net-Dimm cards available in NZ and eBay prices are never fun, the best option for me seems to be to send the 2 Dimm cards to @Mitsurugi-w to update and send back with the CF kits and a couple of games. Does the Naomi itself need any mods?

Sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to Naomi.

I'm looking at acquiring a couple of Naomi 1 boards with 256 Dimm cards and just want to be sure I'm understanding it all correctly.
have you read my guide? How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools

CF booting is very similar to Net Booting except you're replacing the Pi and cross over cable with a CF reader and a GDROM cable. and since the CF reader doesn't need the eithernet port you can get away with using a firmware hacked regular dimm.

you also don't need to have Net-DIMMs in NZ... buy them on Yahoo auctions, they're quite plentiful there:
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w173457943
just click the "Overseas Customers" link at the top.

have you read my guide? How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools
Haha, yeah I read it but at the moment I don't have a Net-Dimm and since I'm getting 2 x Naomi 1 with standard Dimm cards I was thinking the CF card would be a good option until I can get a Net-Dimm or DS makes his own solution ^^ . The thing is from reading the @TylerDurden67 thread about the CF Dimm card option you still need to have a Net-Dimm to update the firmware on the Dimm's IC chip. Which makes it a little hard, since if you had a Net-Dimm you probably wouldn't be using the Dimm solution.

I'll definitely look at getting a Net-Dimm but I'm thinking about using what I'll have available now too.

Back