What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Ok so last night an acquaintance of mine sent me a text about a Virtual On OT 5.2 cab he bought a few months ago. Half of this machine was an English version at first I thought it was just in cabinet graphics but the game is also translated:

1b944d_39a27a95e556435c9a282e99e250311a.jpg

1b944d_766076bd90ee4305910a7419408623fd.jpg

As far as I know there were only ever 2 ROM versions of this game for Model 3 hardware. Version 5.2 and Version 5.4, both in Japanese, but reading around it seems that a lot of Model 3 game ROMs were coded for multi-region... There doesn't seem to be a system menu option for switching regions so now I'm wondering how it's done on Model 3... is there is a different bios ROM? is there a jumper or dip somewhere... something else?

here's a video of the cabinet:
the artwork is shown up close around the 11 minute mark.

I'm thinking the machine was from Hong Kong... I was told it was setup for 220V (which HK uses) and the credit sticker says "1Game: 6x$" $6 US is a lot for a game but $6 HKD is about right for a single credit.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a system menu option for switching regions so now I'm wondering how it's done on Model 3... is there is a different bios ROM? is there a jumper or dip somewhere... something else?
its game specific, 2 options possible:
1) game region stored in mobo EEPROM, and usually can be changed in test mode via secret key sequence. google for 'sega model 3 region codes'.
2) game have region specific ROM boards.

I'd recommend to look at ROM board and compare EPR ROM labels with MAME romset, if it will be the same - its case 1)

there is no BIOS in Model 3, and game language/region is not something you can change via DIPs.

found the code!
VIRTUAL-ON ORATORIO TANGRAM
On the test menu, press Start, Start, Service, Start, Start, Start, Service, Service and Test.
There appears to change the region to either Japan, USA, Export and Australia.

ON the link that MetalliC gave says:

DAYTONA USA 2 and POWER EDITION (Model 3 Step 2)
Method 1
Go into the test mode and push the service and test button on the PCB at the same time.
Method 2
Go into the test mode and push Hold Start and Press GREEN, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW, RED, YELLOW, BLUE.
(Colours are the VR buttons).

This came up elsewhere so just for completeness of this topic, in-case the supermodel forum disappears again here are all the codes. these are thanks to AndyGeezer and MetalliC.
CYBER TROOPERS VIRTUAL-ON ORATORIO TANGRAM 5.2 Rev B and 5.4 Rev G (Model3 Step 2)On the test menu, press Start, Start, Service, Start, Start, Start, Service, Service and Test.

DAYTONA USA 2: BATTLE ON THE EDGE and POWER EDITION (Model 3 Step 2)
Method 1
Go into the test mode and push the service and test button on the PCB at the same time.
Method 2
Go into the test mode and push Hold Start and Press GREEN, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW, RED, YELLOW, BLUE. (Colors are the VR buttons).

DIRT DEVILS (Model 3 Step 2)
Region controlled by program ROMs

EMERGENCY CALL AMBULANCE (Model 3 Step 2)
Region controlled by program ROMs

Fighting Vipers 2 (Model 3 Step 2.1)
in Game Assignments screen set cursor at Country line then press: Left Left Left Right Right Left, then change country using Test switch

GET BASS/SEGA BASS FISHING (Model 3 Step 1.0)
Go into test mode, select the crt test 2/2, push the service button 4 times, exit the crt test, select the Game assignments, push service 3 times (sound), hold service on push number 4 and then press test.

HARLEY DAVIDSON LA RIDERS (Model 3 Step 2)
Go into the test mode, select game assignments up, up, down, down, view, music, view, music.

LA MACHINE GUNS (Model 3 Step 2)
Go into the test mode and push start, start, service, start, start, start, service, test.
(start = player 1 start button).

LE MANS 24hr (Model 3 Step 1.5)
Go into the test mode and push start, start, service, service, start, test.

LOST WORLD (Model 3 Step 1.5)
Go into the test mode and push start, start, service, start, service, test.
(start = player 1 start button).

MAGICAL TRUCK ADVENTURE (Model 3 Step 2)
Enter Self-test Mode
Press “Left Start Button” 2X
Press “Service Button”
Press “Left Start Button”
Press “Service Button”
Press “Test Button

OCEAN HUNTER (Model 3 Step 2)
Enter TEST MODE
Enter GAME ASSIGNMENTS
Press start button as follow:1P 2P 1P 2P 1P 2P 2P
Select Country

SCUD RACE/SUPER GT (Model 3 Step 1.5)
Country setting can be changed in the menu (non-Australian version).

SEGA RALLY 2 (Model 3 Step 2)
Go into the test mode, using the service button do 4 short presses, 2 long, 2 short and 1 long.

SKI CHAMP (Model 3 Step 2)
Enter the self-test mode.
Press the buttons on the control panel in the following sequence:
Blue, Green, Blue, Green, Service, Service button.

STAR WARS TRILOGY (Model 3 Step 2)
Go into the test mode and using the service button do the following:
Short, short, short, long, long, short, short, long.

Spike Out (Model 3 Step 2.1)
set cursor at GAME ASSIGNMENTS line then press:
Button3(Charge), Start, Button4(Jump), Start, Start, Start, Button1(Shift), Start, Start,
then change country in appeared menu.

Spike Out Final Edition (Model 3 Step 2.1)
set cursor at GAME ASSIGNMENTS line while holding the Service button press:
Button4(Jump), Start, Button4(Jump), Start, (release Service button), Button1(Shift), Start, Start, Start, Button3(Charge), Start, Start, Button1(Shift), Start, Test,

VIRTUA FIGHTER 3 (Model 3 Step 1)
Country setting can be changed in menu (non-Australian version).

VIRTUA FIGHTER 3tb (Model 3 Step 1)
Country setting can be changed in menu

VIRTUA STRIKER 2 (Model 3 Step 1.5/2)
Region controlled by program ROMs.

VIRTUA STRIKER 2 ’98 (Model 3 Step 1.5/2)
1. Go into "Game Assignment " in the Test mode.
2. Press the Service Button once for about 5 seconds.
3. Press the Service Button three times shortly.
4. Press the Service Button one time for about 5 seconds again.

VIRTUA STRIKER 2 ’99 (Model 3 Step 1.5/2)
1. Go into "Game Assignment " in the Test mode.
2. Press the Service Button once for about 5 seconds.
3. Press the Service Button three times shortly.
4. Press the Service Button one time for about 5 seconds again.
5. Press the Service Button twice shortly.
6. Press the Service Button once for about 5 seconds one more time.

VIRTUA STRIKER 2 ’99.1 (Model 3 Step 2)
Region controlled by program ROMs.
Seems information for Fighting Vipers, Spike Out, Spike Out Final Edition and Virtua Fighter 3tb are still missing. If anyone has information for these games let me know and I'll update the list above.

Last edited:
Awesome, will try the FV2 one out!

Seems information for Fighting Vipers, Spike Out, Spike Out Final Edition and Virtua Fighter 3tb are still missing
VF3tb is the same as regular VF3. You go to game assignments in the test menu and you can choose the region between USA, Export and Japan.

Last edited:
FIGHTING VIPERS 2
NICE! I've added it to the list, thanks.

so, only SpikeOut code missing, right ?
Spike Out, Spike Out FE, and Virtua Fighter 3tb.

Technically we don't have codes for the Australia versions of SCUD Race and Virtua Fighter 3, though it's not clear if the region can be changed on those.

SPIKE OUT
Button3(Charge), Start, Button4(Jump), Start, Start, Start, Button1(Shift), Start, Start,

SPIKE OUT FE
set cursor at GAME ASSIGNMENTS line holding Service button press:
Button4(Jump), Start, Button4(Jump), Start, release Service button, Button1(Shift), Start, Start, Start, Button3(Charge), Start, Start, Button1(Shift), Start, Test,

SPIKE OUT

SPIKE OUT FE
set cursor at GAME ASSIGNMENTS line holding Service button then press:
Button4(Jump), Start, Button4(Jump), Start, (release Service button), Button1(Shift), Start, Start, Start, Button3(Charge), Start, Start, Button1(Shift), Start, Test,
Thanks for the information. I have 4 set of spikeout but 2 are US (?) and 2 are JAP version. It's time for 4 players link battle.

Excellent! Added to the list.

looking through the Model 3 game list again there is also Boat Race GP (though I think this is undumped?)

And we don't have a code listed for "Virtua Stirker 2"; the one before Virtua Striker 98. This has both Step 2.0 and Step 1.5 releases (though I would assume the code is the same as it is with other VS releases across Steps).

Thanks for the information. I have 4 set of spikeout but 2 are US (?) and 2 are JAP version. It's time for 4 players link battle.
welcome. nice set, have you checked revisions of these PCBs ? perhaps there is something we missing (we have dumped Spike Out revision C, older is missing).

@twistedsymphony Boat Race GP ? I doubt this game was released, more likely there was made only location test cabs, so there bare chances to spot any of these.

And we don't have a code listed for "Virtua Stirker 2"; the one before Virtua Striker 98. This has both Step 2.0 and Step 1.5 releases (though I would assume the code is the same as it is with other VS releases across Steps).
in short - Virtua Striker 2 and all it's versions is a total mess.
they may have code to change region, or hard coded to specific region(s) - Japan only or switchable Export/USA:
VS2 - MAME's "vs215o" (Step 1.5, older) is Japan, the rest 2 dumps is Export/USA.
VS2 '98 - both dumped Step 1.5 and Step 2.0 versions use code to change country.
VS2 '99 - Step 1.5 (vs29915), Step 2.0 (vs299) Rev.A (vs299a) '99.1 Rev.B (vs2v991) - all is Export/USA
Step 2.0 Rev.B (vs299b) is Japan.

Last edited:
sh*t happen - there was no single black cat in this dark room.
VS2 '99 Step 2 Rev.B (vs299b) is Japan only, no codes to change country. this set have left over routines to check key sequence and change region, but they are not used/disabled.

so, no M3 country codes is missing :)

Back