What's new

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
I apologize, but I'm rather unfamiliar with OSSC. I've tried doing my homework via videogameperfection and shmups.org, but I just end up even more confused. I sold my Framemeister a few years back after picking up a couple 800 line PVMs for rather cheap. Before moving to Japan I decided to give OSSC a go. On my 60" 1080p Sony Bravia only Line 2X worked when trying out my Saturn. If I tried 3x, 4x, or 5x I simply got a message on the OSSC screen that read "unsupported". I read that people were having a lot better luck with 4K displays. Fast forward to now.

edit: I live in Japan now and no longer have the Bravia, and all I brought to Japan was a Dreamcast.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24UD58-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor (this is the monitor I bought, only the Japanese market version)

edit: This is the only display I have in the house.

I have a Dreamcast hooked up to the OSSC via Kuro VGA box. On the RGBHV input everything looks fine, but all I can do is passthrough or Line 2X. When going to the output menu under 480p/576p processing those are my only two options. Is this the reason for when I hit "TV/AV" and then 3, 4, or 5 on the remote than I am getting the unsupported message?

What I'm confused about is this, if the Dreamcast is powered off the OSSC will still display the gray picture. If I try to go to 3, 4, or 5x here I still get the unsupported message.

My question is this: Is the OSSC telling me that my monitor straight up won't accept 3, 4, or 5X modes, or do I need to be using a different source for it to work. For example do I need to be using a Saturn running SCART into it for it to work. The fact that it says "unsupported" when no game console is even on makes me think that my monitor just straight up won't do it.

Very unfortunate if all it does is 2X. Returning things because you didn't like it in Japan really isn't a thing. I can return this monitor if its broken, but all I can do is exchange it for the same one. It still looks good, but the whole point of me buying a 4K display was to hopefully get 4X or 5X to work. I know theres a long list of recommended monitors on shmups.org that work with all modes; however, none of these were available for purchase in Japan.

At the moment I have no other consoles to test. Everything is in storage back in the states. My wife still has her PS1 at her parents house here, but I'll need to pick up a SCART cable for it (probably my quickest and cheapest option to test another source).

Any help would be much appreciated, even if it's just a confirmation that I'm shit out of luck on this monitor doing anything more than 2X. I can take any pictures or videos as needed. Thank you guys in advance.

Last edited:
I have a Dreamcast hooked up to the OSSC via Kuro VGA box. On the RGBHV input everything looks fine, but all I can do is passthrough or Line 2X. When going to the output menu under 480p/576p processing those are my only two options. Is this the reason for when I hit "TV/AV" and then 3, 4, or 5 on the remote than I am getting the unsupported message?
You are not "screwed" in any way shape or form... Remember the Dreamcast is outputting 640x480 (VGA)... Not 240p (320x240).
All you are going to get is a 2x scale... 3x would be technically possible with better FPGA I guess/maybe, it is 1920x1440...
But 4x 2560x1920? or what 5x 3200x2400!!! Currently in our dreams man, and only in our dreams. :sleeping:

OSSC's FPGA maxes out/ends at 1600x1200 5x 240p modes only, but good news your 4K TV can make nice use of that.
Fire up the Saturn in 240p (SCART cable) mode and goto 5x heaven!
I do recommend you keep 480i (interlaced modes) set to passthru however, IF the monitor can support it...
Reason being it will be faster for the OSSC to just pass the signal over once it switches (remember consoles like Saturn/Playstation switch between these modes often).

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but sounds to me your OSSC is faulty. I've seen this issue before, where an OSSC wouldn't accept anything other than line x 2 mode and it was the result of faulty soldering on one of the surface mount chips.

But he is using Dreamcast... You can't have more then x2 with VGA (640x480) sources (3x,4x,5x is for 320x240 aka 240p sources only).
Nothing is wrong with the OSSC.
3x would be technically possible with better FPGA I guess/maybe, it is 1920x1440...
OSSC FPGA maxes out at 1600x1200, 3x on 640x480 is 1920x1440 and it can't process that high a transform.
But 4x 2560x1920? or what 5x 3200x2400!!!
At this point in time no FPGA has the capacity for this in a "real time" playable state.
I believe you would have to design it as custom ASIC, but this stuff is getting over my head.

He mentions using it with Saturn too, same result, no dice past 2X

He mentions using it with Saturn too, same result, no dice past 2X
Mentions using the Saturn on a previous TV, and that his only options now are a PS1 with no SCART cable yet, or his DC.

Mentions using the Saturn on a previous TV, and that his only options now are a PS1 with no SCART cable yet, or his DC.
Yea he wrote it in a really confusing way... Where if you just skim it you think he might be saying Saturn was only 2x.
But this line is the key...
I have a Dreamcast hooked up to the OSSC via Kuro VGA box. On the RGBHV input everything looks fine, but all I can do is passthrough or Line 2X.
You can't have more then x2 with VGA (640x480) sources (3x,4x,5x is for 320x240 aka 240p sources only).

I’m going to order a SCART cable for the PS1 today so I can test with a 240p source on this monitor. Might be a week or so before I can give an update about it due to shipping.

Thank you for the detailed explanation on how it works with the Dreamcast @jassin000 . I understand it much better now : D

Ordered a cable for the PS1. I'll keep an eye out for some Parodius games at the bookstores : D

I forgot that KoF99 Dream Match on Dreamcast ran in 240p without any button commands or menu options so I booted that up. The OSSC displays RGBHV 263p 15.73kHz 59.82Hz. Line 3X and 4X work great. Line 5X has a picture that blinks on and off every few seconds. Is this because 263 x 5 is 1315 (higher than 1200)? I didn't even know there was a 263P. I'd have to put the games like Jojo and 3rd Strike on my SD card to see, but are all 240p Dreamcast games shown as 263P?

Edit: Right now Line 5X is working on KoF 99 DM without the blinking from before. No idea why, but I'll take it!

Edit 2: Nevermind...blinking again lol

Last edited:
Right now Line 5X is working on KoF 99 DM without the blinking from before. No idea why, but I'll take it!
When using 5x mode you have two options, 1600x1200 which should be 4k compliant and 1080p that crops a little from the top and bottom of the screen.
Try 'em both (even tho yea we dont' like to crop but this might be the blanking solution).

You can also try things like increasing or decreasing the v/h-threshold.

OSSC's FPGA maxes out/ends at 1600x1200 5x 240p modes only, but good news your 4K TV can make nice use of that.
Ive been trying to see how I reach out to Marqs to see what it would cost for him to make a OSSC version that would do 240p 9X (upscales nicely to 2160p) :) I mean if he can make one even at double the cost of the current ossc I would buy 5 units right now.

Ive been trying to see how I reach out to Marqs to see what it would cost for him to make a OSSC version that would do 240p 9X (upscales nicely to 2160p) :) I mean if he can make one even at double the cost of the current ossc I would buy 5 units right now.
I personally think it's long time for an OSSC 2, that incorporates some new features, such as more scaling, but also the ability to rotate the screen for tate (understanding it will ad lag), but so far, nothing yet... I for one would be willing to pay 2-3 times as much for these features.

I doubt we'll see an OSSC 2 until the current OSSC FPGA chip reaches EoL.
People have been slow to adopt 4k sets as well, and that no doubt plays a part in demand for resolution solutions higher than 1080p.

I doubt we'll see an OSSC 2 until the current OSSC FPGA chip reaches EoL.
People have been slow to adopt 4k sets as well, and that no doubt plays a part in demand for resolution solutions higher than 1080p.
I agree EOL for the current chip and lower prices for the next one. I’m just ready!

Join the club. I've brought this up multiple times with marqs and on shmups wish list forums. The FPGA that can handle these features are way too expensive. Let alone hardware and interface costs.

Update: PS1 is working great in Line 5X. I'm super exciting to get the PSIO in the mail. I built up a good little collection of games on disk for about 5000 yen though. I don't live in the city proper, so the local BookOff! wasn't picked clean and had great prices.

Dreamcast 240p games can be hit and miss; all work in Line 4X though. I've found that selecting "Generic 4x3" as the ratio usually takes care of any problems in Line 5X.

He talk about it here:

And you can send him a e-mail, he always answer really quick.

Last edited:
Back