What's new

corey

Professional
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Heading out to Japan tomorrow.

Second trip to Tokyo so will be doing more shopping this time.

Besides MAK is there any other places to hit up for arcade stuff.

Lucky you!!! Definitely check out Beep, they still have fair prices I think.

Im planning my 2nd trip, going to stay at least a full 2 weeks this time. maybe a little longer if I can.

Yeah beep has alright prices, super potato's prices are on the higher side.

Hey man. Try make an appointment with Try, their prices were really good. But you need to speak Japanese to communicate effectively.

Mak, Beep, G-Front and Suruguya are worth visiting for sure. If you’re after console stuff go to the Trader with the retro stuff on the second floor. Mandrake and Super Potato are expensive but also they have the goods. There’s Hard Off branches in Akihabara which also sometimes have things, if you have time venture out of the city for Hard Off missions. The Super Potato in Ikebukuro is about 20% cheaper than Akiba. You can order things from Tops and pick them up which can save you on shipping if you see anything?

It’s also worth hitting up Nakano as the prices are cheaper there for gaming things. And it’s a few short stops on the Chuo line.

There’s another PCB store in Akihabara that opened but the name escapes me?

The cheapest deals I could find out of the big three cities in central Japan(Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) on stuff was Den Den town in Osaka if your going that way.

Game Kanaya is the PCB shop to hit in Osaka.

Nah no Osaka this time around.

Do want to go there but planning didn't work this time around.

Thinking of doing Japan for Xmas next year and take the kids so will likely plan to fly in to Tokyo and out of Osaka.

Thanks for the suggestions as well.

Mak, Beep, G-Front and Suruguya are worth visiting for sure
If you're looking for arcade PCBs, make sure you go there the Surugaya next to Beep. There are several surugaya locations now.

There’s another PCB store in Akihabara that opened but the name escapes me
Probably KVC Lab (link)? Also sells infinikeys for CPS2 if you need some.

Yup, KVC lab, that's it. And yep, the Surugaya next to BEEP is by far the cheapest and nicest place to shop for resonable and obscure console stuff in the Akiba area.

Don't forget to hunt down the shop called FRIENDS a little further down the road which always has NOS of Virtua Boy games, Hori controllers, etc. the old lady who works in there is really chill.

Yeah, Friends is within 5 minutes walking from Beep/Surugaya. If you're looking for old Famicom/Super Famicom manuals, they have a decent selection. At the street level you're more likely to see shady-looking signs with a guy's head in a girl's lap, but Friends is on the second and third floors.

Also a note on Surugaya, they've had an in-store special going for something like a year (and was still going as of two weeks ago) where if you buy 5 games, you get the whole lot for 10% off. You could buy 4x crappy games (4x Derby Stallion for around 100 yen each) and one PCB to net a nice discount.

@corey don't forget your passport while out shopping, certain stores will not charge you tax and also offer an extra "gaijin" discount (both Mandrake and Surugaya did last time I went).

I believe Japanese law requires all visitors to carry their passports with them at all times. If police stop you and you don't have it, it's something like a 100,000 yen fine.

Many stores will have signs "Japan Tax Free" to let you know about the no sales tax discount @djsheep mentioned. And not just electronics. Many clothing stores, department stores and others offer the discount too. Just show your passport (with a tourist visa) and you should be set.

Back