What's new

aha2940

Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been lately playing a bit with my PGM board. I have only 4 games for it (Demon Fornt, Oriental Legend and Knights of Valour 1 & 2). I cannot get any of my games to play completely in English (they range from "mostly English" like Demon Front to "Chinese Only" for Oriental Legend). Now, if I download the roms for MAME, I notice the following:

1. The roms for the games I have play completely in English.
2. None of the rom versions I have downloaded has the exact same roms as my carts. Makes me wonder if my carts are undumped versions or what.
3. Contents of roms for Knights of Valour and Knights of Valour Plus are the same, except for program ROM.

Now, I would like to know if:

1. Is there a way to change my carts into English 100% like MAME plays? the sprites are there, so it should be at most a program rom change.
2. Is there a way to change the KOV cart to a KOV Plus cart, just changing the program rom? it's socketed, so that should be easy to do. If so, which EPROM should be used?

Thanks for any help/pointers on these.

1. The roms for the games I have play completely in English.
The MAME version of Demon Front seems to be the same as the PCB version. I've got a DF cart kit coming in in a few days and will see what my version is and maybe we can compare :).

That's just about all I can help with though :/.

I've asked the same question (well, the language one) on every board I think might have an answer, and it seems the answer is no. If you somehow discover otherwise though, I'd be very very intrigued. Love me my PGM.

I've asked the same question (well, the language one) on every board I think might have an answer, and it seems the answer is no. If you somehow discover otherwise though, I'd be very very intrigued. Love me my PGM.
Thanks for the confirmation, KalessinDB. I came to the same conclusion, it seems the language on the PGM carts is determined by the security chip on the cart. The reason MAME plays all in English is (AFAIK) that the security chip emulation is not perfect yet, so MAME sets the cart to play in English, but that cannot be done in the real cart. It's a shame really, I would love to have my KoV cart play in English instead of Chinese, and Demon Front completely in English. If anybody has a spare 100% English cart of KoV or Demon Front, I'd be all in for trading it with mine, LOL.

Thanks for the confirmation, KalessinDB. I came to the same conclusion, it seems the language on the PGM carts is determined by the security chip on the cart. The reason MAME plays all in English is (AFAIK) that the security chip emulation is not perfect yet, so MAME sets the cart to play in English, but that cannot be done in the real cart. It's a shame really, I would love to have my KoV cart play in English instead of Chinese, and Demon Front completely in English. If anybody has a spare 100% English cart of KoV or Demon Front, I'd be all in for trading it with mine, LOL.
That sounds about right. It should theoretically be possible to mod the program ROMs to force English regardless of cart region, but there may not be anyone interested in spending the time on it.

I burnt a version 1.02 (Japan) of DDP2 Beestorm to a new eeprom - the rom from Mame incidentally, and then opened up my version 1.00 (English) cart, and swapped the roms.

The cart is now a Japanese game, and works perfectly

So I it may be as simple as just needing a different rom for your cart ?

I burnt a version 1.02 (Japan) of DDP2 Beestorm to a new eeprom - the rom from Mame incidentally, and then opened up my version 1.00 (English) cart, and swapped the roms.

The cart is now a Japanese game, and works perfectly

So I it may be as simple as just needing a different rom for your cart ?
Thanks for the info. I tried this with my Knights of Valour cart. I burned the rom from MAME on a 27C322 EPROM, but the cart will not start when replacing it. Can you please let us know which EPROM you used?

Thanks!!

I'd have to bow to the above: a forumite burnt it for me and posted it - so I don't actually know :rolleyes:

OK, having opened the Ketsui I got - note mine has a small toggle switch which somehow swaps banks or something, as it has the original Ketsui and also the fan mod Ketsui Arrange which can be selected at boot.

See pics. There'es a cable soldered to one of the pins on the game rom (I think) - whatever, its way beyond me. What a bl**dy mess.

I'm happy to send it to someone if they have enough skillz to extract it and then put it back together so I can play it again :P

Warning:: ** Hotglue/Spunk pics below!! **

C3E2D127-32F1-4CAD-A988-5A63E35A7C92.jpg

E45E6B85-5269-495C-8245-4B3F628D80D4.jpg

8C3AB897-DA28-4A0E-849D-5E0C0808E6A7.jpg

Sorry for massive pics ||

Thanks for the pics, man. Indeed, it seems the switch is for toggling banks, since the cable goes to A20 on the EPROM. What I really do not understand is how you got the language changed on your board, because every time I try to burn a different P rom to any of my carts and put it in place, all I get is the test menu of the PGM, meaning the cart does nothing...also, according to this: Re: The IGS PGM thread it is not possible to change the region of a cart just by swapping the P roms. I guess it's because of the protection chips.

Perhaps the DDP2 cart isn't protected ? So it's more happy to run either ROM ?

It deffo changed the language on the title screen, although as it's Dodonpachi2, there's not a lot of change in-game. Also the region changed on the 'do not pirate this game' screen at boot up.

Likely thatś what happened. Checking on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolyGame_Master#For_PGM I see DoDonPachi2 was developed and published by CAVE themselves, just using the PGM as base platform. Maybe they did not include the protection chip used by IGS games, therefore DDP2 can be changed from Chinese into English just by EPROM swapping.

Well at least your Ketsui has graduated to the realms of having a little circuit to bring voltages down to 3.3 for the surface mount chips. The conversion I have just has some shoddily soldered together resistors attached to a capacitor :P.

Hey,

I was wondering about the Ketsui PGM cart...

Does it have the modified sound effect like the Xbox 360 version for the lock-on sounds or does it have the lock on sound effect from the original board? I am referencing the write up on this page:

http://arcadefever.blogspot.ca/2010/05/ketsui-pcb-vs-xb360-port.html

Hmmm...I am itching to play some more CAVE stuff on a cabinet (though I need to fix my blast city first)...but I am trying to battle the urge to order from Arcademodbios and just wait for Darksoft's PGM solution that will hopefully has the CAVE stuff as well. I have console version already.

Last edited:
Its the exact arcade version.

Edit*

Well I mean before the rom fix. I have both the 360 version and PGM cart. Ill check both again and reply.

Last edited:
Back