What's new
To clarify; with the Raspberry Pi involved can you load MAME or other emulators onto the Pi (via SD card) and run through the Jamma connector? Basically, also serves as a Raspberry Pi to Jamma converter aside from a Jamma to JVS converter?

To clarify; with the Raspberry Pi involved can you load MAME or other emulators onto the Pi (via SD card) and run through the Jamma connector? Basically, also serves as a Raspberry Pi to Jamma converter aside from a Jamma to JVS converter?
It gets a little confusing at times :)

I/O board (in cab) = jvs slave
game = jvs master

So it's the other way around - primarily as a JVS master to play jamma games in a JVS cab (hence the female jamma connector on the board).

so jamma game <-> (my thingy as the jvs master) <-> JVS slave(i/o board) in JVS cab

This project has no direct relevance to MAME.

This is a great looking project and ill be following the progress!

De-engineering a bit, as it was way too much tech on it, so just sent files to have a 4 layer PCB made which is only the upscaler portion of the design (and also the most complicated part). If I can get this stuff to work, the rest is 'easy'.

2016-10-14 rgb upscaler.png

Great news....
:)
I really want to see it for real....
upscaler proto 1.jpg

Here it is :)
Unfortunately it doesn't work - can't get the FPGA to speak to me at all, so it's basically a brick. Spent most of the weekend assembling it and initial troubleshooting - found a few minor errors, but I don't think they're the source of the deadness.

As it's a 4 layer pcb, and the IC's o it are not exactly cheap it's a bit of a disappointment - but I'm not quitting yet. Ordered a few more parts, continuing troubleshooting, and kicking myself for not starting the prototyping of the upscaler part earlier.

Allright, a little progress. The board/design is not wrong , and the problem was probably a bad/fried FPGA. Assembled my second and last fpga chip on a fresh board and just the bare minimum of parts to get it speaking, and it answers back \o/. Hoping there's not too much trouble around the corner as I progress.

Got a chance to play a little more with this today and worked through some bugs. First of all I didn't connect the GND pins on the output VGA so the picture was weird, I also swapped two capacitors around for a critical part of the clocking mechanism, which also made the picture weird - but after this was taken care of I'm happy ro report a stable picture :) Also got serial flash working, which is handy when you just want the thing to instantly start when powering on.

The pixels more or less just pass through the FPGA, so there is a fair bit to be done on that and also there is a ZILLION options in the ADC, quite a few which produce weird or unstable image. It's not 100% the way I'd like it ATM, but all colors are there, clock is stable, so definitely something I can work with.

Spent quite a bit of time before realizing that the gradient test image on the naomi is NOT clean - the color bars are dithered :)

I'm using the naomi on the low impedance input in 31k mode just to establish a baseline. The input is sampled at 10 bits pr color and output at 9 bits pr color (30/27 bit)

IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 271
Making some progress, at this point it looks like I will be able to achieve my goal of "equal or better than xrgb2".

2016-11-25 upscaler1.jpeg
2016-11-25 upscaler3.jpeg

For the picture in the middle, fake scanlines are just black lines - which look a little hard on my desktop CRT.

This is def a 'level up' for me when it comes to the tech and issues involved :)
Both 'super sampling' at 2200+ horizontal pixels and 'pixel perfect' sampling works ok. There is quite a bit of work remaining, so this is not something that is just around the corner.
At this point it looks like I will split the jvs2jamma and the upscaler things into different boards for manufacture cost reasons, so now I have 3 unfinished projects :)

If anyone has any stm32 experience, I would love to get some pointers on which part/device to use and strategies for user firmware updates - sd card is probably the most robust and user friendly option.

Attachments

• 2016-11-25 upscaler2.jpeg
    2016-11-25 upscaler2.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 252
hand raised - Question...

"At this point it looks like I will split the jvs2jamma and the upscaler things into different boards for manufacture cost reasons"

How about focusing on the jvs2jamma to plug into the OSSC upscaler as an option? if I understand correctly the JVS2jamma would be use to pass the joystick inputs and as a pass video signal to the upscaler and since we have the OSSC why not use that... I have no idea how this tech thing works.. I am just trowing ideas..please don't hurt me..LOL :D

Back