What's new
I've started an interest check thread to obtain numbers for these Snes2Neo adapters. I'll need to do it as a pre-order, money upfront, as I can't fund it on my own at this point in time. I'll be doing a run of 20 units to keep it efficient and manageable.

SNES2NEO adapter SALE THREAD

Before you ship any of these out, I have a code update that I'm working on right now that adds the option to remap Start and Select to any of the buttons. Since the programming sequence is identical to the HAS, I'm also adding the option at startup to disable button remapping and rapid fire programming all together. This way there is no conflict when these adapters are used with a HAS supergun.

Sounds great. I've not even ordered parts / PCBs yet so no worries re code updates. I can assemble them and flash code prior to despatch after checking with you first if any updates are incoming.

P.s. Would totally make me happy if you can work something out re Saturn adapters and Retrobit 2.4G controllers, if and when time permits.

Thanks for making these available. I built up a handful of them this afternoon.

Last edited:
A potential Bug/issue

System Neo Geo AES
Unibios 4.0

When I am in MVS mode via the Unibios, the controller doesn't work. I can't program buttons. This is true for both the NeoSD and Sam Showdown 2. I have a pathetic library.

in AES mode, it is fine.

Regardless of BIOS settings, the NeoSD menu works fine, booting to Unibios is fine.

Last edited:
A potential Bug/issue

System Neo Geo AES
Unibios 4.0

When I am in MVS mode via the Unibios, the controller doesn't work. I can't program buttons. This is true for both the NeoSD and Sam Showdown 2. I have a pathetic library.

in AES mode, it is fine.

Regardless of BIOS settings, the NeoSD menu works fine, booting to Unibios is fine.
That's an interesting problem. Does anyone know if pin 9 is electrically connected to anything in an AES? The first thing that comes to mind based on the behavior you are describing is that the microcontroller is being held in RESET when you have it in MVS mode.

There should be a pullup on the RESET pin (as close to the reset pin as possible). Cut its trace so that it doesn't go to the DB15 plug anymore and connect it to VCC via a 10K resistor.

Without the pullup, the AVR will be unstable and can reset randomly.

There should be a pullup on the RESET pin (as close to the reset pin as possible). Cut its trace so that it doesn't go to the DB15 plug anymore and connect it to VCC via a 10K resistor.

Without the pullup, the AVR will be unstable and can reset randomly.
I found some 10k resistors. Will attempt this surgery "ASAP".... which might be tonight or this weekend.

Getting the SNES port out is going to be a PITA, the holes could be a little wider on the next revision to fit these (measured like #17 AWG, ~1.15mm).

changes.png

Soldering directly to the IC leg might be tricky and it will be complicated to re-program the AVR in the future. Perhaps cut the trace near the R1 area, peel the soldermask and solder the resistor.

The microcontroller has an internal pull-up resistor on RESET, so adding the 10k pull-up resistor should not be strictly required, however cutting the trace for reset will definitely confirm if reset is the problem.

The microcontroller has an internal pull-up resistor on RESET, so adding the 10k pull-up resistor should not be strictly required, however cutting the trace for reset will definitely confirm if reset is the problem.
This worked! I cut the trace near the SNES connector, was pretty easy to access if anyone else has this issue. Torn on adding the external resistor.

It looks like this pin is used for programming, maybe consider adding a solder strap, I liked the programming board a lot, I am not sure I would have built it if it wasn’t so easy to use:

I started this project to practice my SMD soldering, so this was a fun bonus. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Arthrimus has implemented solder pads to open / close the reset line in his PCB designs.

In my adaptation I left reset closed for ease of assembly, programming etc. I wasn't aware of the conflict as it didn't show up in supergun usage. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Frank, no apologies needed. your work has been awesome, it's an easy fix for existing boards that are programmed and an easy fix to implement. I made an account on this forum just to thank you for making your designs available. Also thanks to RGB and Arthrimus!

Just put one of these together and tested it out on my MV-1FS and did not have any issues with the controller in MVS mode. No news is good news? Or should I cut that trace just to be safe?

If it's not broken, don't fix it!

I believe the issue is in regards to use with an actual AES console..?

I think a best practice would be to cut the trace, however, I plan to update all of the adapter firmwares with some additional features, so I might recommend holding off until the next update rolls out.

Ok. Thanks. I'll leave it as is for now unless I run into any issues. So far its great!

I'm building my empire of Frank/Arthrimus arcade awesomeness!

Built one of these this weekend. Works great! Thanks again, @Frank_fjs and @Arthrimus

Mounted the SNES port vertically, mostly because it was easier for me, but also partly because I was running out of horizontal room in the space the board was in.

dBzZ9uf.jpg

3RoY2bM.jpg

I have a weird problem when using the SNES controller on a Neo Geo AES. If I mash the dpad left or right+up it triggers button 1. It makes magician lord unplayable.

Is that normal? @Frank_fjs

Back