What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
I've seen them on MS2930's and MS8-29's. Anyone know where to get these in the proper values?

If its the spark gaps you are referring to, you shouldnt have to replace those unless there is a problem elsewhere, they are basically there for high voltage discharge protection.

They started smoking on a chassis that my buddy has. So they need replacing. Anyone know a part number or where to get them?

Not sure I should say so they dont get bombarded.

I believe there called spark caps and I was only sent 2 or 3 to fix my chassis that's been to a certain place 3 times.

I eventually found out with inspection that one leg was not connected and it shorted my tube.

never seen a spark gap smoke, being fixing chassis since 86
First time for everything. Indeed, they were smoking on the MS2930. Probably took the tube with it.

Still need them replaced. If anyone knows where else to get them.

Not sure I should say so they dont get bombarded.

I believe there called spark caps and I was only sent 2 or 3 to fix my chassis that's been to a certain place 3 times.

I eventually found out with inspection that one leg was not connected and it shorted my tube.
If you have a manufacturer or part number that could help.

unfortunately I dont. I would gladly. There is t even and markings. It's like my diodes on my stupid psu.

they are usually called GDT's (gas discharge tube),
how can it smoke unless the glass breaks???
you may want to check the soldering incase that's what's smoking.

also they come in voltage ratings - you need to know which one to buy.

If anyone has time and can check their neck boards/chassis maybe we can identify the ratings of these GDTs
From the pic below you can see some of these have markings. There are modern day equivalents of these.

QgfP7Sj.jpg

There is a PSA posted about these chassis. I know that my tube is shot as well as another members here and we both had issues with the vacuum tubes/spark gaps/GDT's. From my experience, I definitely saw it smoking.

I'll pull mine from the neck and see if I can get something off the print.

@acblunden2 your tube might be just shorted. You can try a rejuvenator they have a short fix feature on them. Its worth a shot.

There is a PSA posted about these chassis. I know that my tube is shot as well as another members here and we both had issues with the vacuum tubes/spark gaps/GDT's. From my experience, I definitely saw it smoking.
I'll pull mine from the neck and see if I can get something off the print.
Did a bit of Googling on the matter and came up with some info on the probably causes:

2019-11-15_14-42-46.jpg

Reactions: nem
@acblunden2 your tube might be just shorted. You can try a rejuvenator they have a short fix feature on them. Its worth a shot.
I am going to give that a shot.

But the chassis is definitely dead. Sharper Image took a stab at the chassis, said they couldn't do shit for it, and sent it back. They said it was definitely the neck as they swapped out necks and got it working before it went into HV shutdown again.

i am not fixing stuff from far away due to the costs but happy to try to help id the actual problem
there is not a lot on those ms9 neck cards, there are safety resistors on each colour
the spark gap part number is RA-102M-V6-Y-2, you could probably find an alternative using part or all of that number

HV shutdown on ms9 is pretty rare, they shutdown on power up if there are any issues in vertical or horizontal or sync processor circuits

so derick's photo was interesting.

those arent GDT's, they are neon lamps.
they do the same job but if they fire they glow orange.
if one is worn-out it will look silvery-black.

so if they look clear they are fine.

i am not fixing stuff from far away due to the costs but happy to try to help id the actual problem
there is not a lot on those ms9 neck cards, there are safety resistors on each colour
the spark gap part number is RA-102M-V6-Y-2, you could probably find an alternative using part or all of that number

HV shutdown on ms9 is pretty rare, they shutdown on power up if there are any issues in vertical or horizontal or sync processor circuits
Found a data sheet info on that closely matches that part number, so it looks like we are getting somewhere with this :)

http://www.wclbuy.com/resource/attachment/lb_book/201610/b05b5990fbd85be0414e2ebf0d74fe85.pdf

In any case, sent a message to Okaya electric requesting a datasheet on that part number, and/or if they have a current replacement for that part since they still make these type of devices

Last edited:
Back