What's new
A big problem with the search is that by default it DOESNT seem to search the post title. when realistically it should be prioritizing results that include the search terms in the title.

go to the search box and type "FS about 150 or more REAL BOUT"

this is the first 7 words of a thread in the for sale section.. the search will tell you that it doesn't exist.

Now search again for "realbout" you get 4 results, the first two are posts in the middle of that thread where someone used that term. and then two other results that don't even use that term at all (so no idea why they're included).

beyond that it prioritizes quantity of words as opposed to context (like google does) so even if it does find a thread that has the words your looking for it's often not the thread you were looking for.

It also likes to use your search term as part of a word rather than a full word.

For example: recap brings up results with recapping, recaps, recapped. Which sure, in this situation is useful, but in a lot of others, partial word search is really unnecessary and brings up 40x the results you actually need.

It's probably just throwing wildcards between each search terms and searching the post body without any real intelligence behind it.

It's probably just throwing wildcards between each search terms and searching the post body without any real intelligence behind it.
Probably. I just tried throwing quotes around a search term, but that doesn't eliminate them either unfortunately.

"recap" still brings up results for things that aren't just "recap".

It's good in theory. It has all the options for narrowing things down that you'd want out of a search, but the actual search engine for the site is awful unfortunately.

I'd say you can search for the complaints @twistedsymphony has made about the system, but... :D
:D I don’t think they will show up

I think the main index will benefit from removing a lot of clutter and noise. Some things feel like they are there just because "it's what forums have". Since there are so many subsections, improving the ease of browsing may help.

I've attached some visual criticisms of the index.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-11-18 14-54-09.png
    Screenshot from 2019-11-18 14-54-09.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 294
The changes caught me off guard. But I realized what was going on.

I can say it's fine on computers but slightly cluttered on phone. But it's fine just takes getting used too

Can we possibly have a section where YouTubers post their content instead of them starting threads in various forum sections with each new video release. I can see this eventually becoming an issue.

I think the main index will benefit from removing a lot of clutter and noise. Some things feel like they are there just because "it's what forums have". Since there are so many subsections, improving the ease of browsing may help.

I've attached some visual criticisms of the index.
These changes have been implemented.

- Users online/viewing each forum has been removed.

- Forum descriptions have been truncated to one line of text (actual descriptions to be revised)

Need to take a deeper dive into why the search is dumb. I did some testing with the search terms @twistedsymphony recommended, and it really makes no sense at all.

I like the nested topics, a lot clearer now as the list got longer and longer.... :)

But where did the Namco 357/369 categories go?
I would create a Namco category with sub-categories;
- System 10/11/12
- System 246/256
- System 357/369
- Other

Also I would like to see a 'general Cab' topic
There never was a 357/369 section, all post relating to Namco stuff is generally orphaned in the 246/256 section

Back