What's new

Arthrimus

Champion
Reaction score
Hey folks, I figured I should probably make a thread collecting my various controller adapters together so everyone knows what is available and how they work.

All of my adapters have the same feature set in terms of button remapping and auto fire so the usage instructions will be identical for all of them. They all adapt their respective controllers to DB15 using the extended NEO-GEO pinout that has become standard with most modern superguns.

Features of all adapters:
  • Full user customizable button mapping. Buttons 1-6 can be remapped to any of the face buttons. This also allows for mapping duplicates of the same button.
  • Auto fire with 6 speed options from 30hz down to 6hz
  • Status LED to help navigate button remapping and auto fire configuration modes.
  • All settings save in the internal EEPROM of the micro-controller so they persist after power cycling the adapter.
Button Remapping and Autofire instructions for all adapters.

To enter button remapping mode hold any 2 face buttons and START simultaniously for 3 seconds. Once in remapping mode press each button the corresponding number of times to achive the desired output based on the list below.
  • Button 1 = 1 press
  • Button 2 = 2 presses
  • Button 3 = 3 presses
  • Button 4 = 4 presses
  • Button 5 = 5 presses
  • Button 6 = 6 presses
  • N/A = 7 presses*
To enter auto fire programming mode hold any 1 face button and START simultaniously for 3 seconds. Once in auto fire programming mode press each button that you want to set as auto fire the number of times that corresponds to the desired speed in the list below.
  • ~30hz = 1 press
  • ~20hz = 2 presses
  • ~15hz = 3 presses
  • ~12hz = 4 presses
  • ~7.5hz = 5 presses
  • ~6hz = 6 presses
  • N/A = 7 presses
* On Saturn adapters the 7th button press = Coin, and an 8th button press = N/A

PSX to DB15:

PS1DB15-2-1024x1024.jpg

PSX specific features:
  • Buttons 1-6 can also be mapped to any of the four shoulder buttons in addition to the face buttons.
Since I couldn't find a suitable right angle PSX controller port for these, I designed a right angle through hole adapter PCB that is soldered to the female end of a common PSX extension cable. This right angle adapter is soldered to the main adapter PCB creating an incredibly sturdy connection.

Links:

More pictures of the PSX to DB15 adapter:
PS1DB15-1-1024x1024.jpg

PS1DB15-3-1024x1024.jpg

952143c473871dd55fc1c6df44cf212a.png

5863f43d3ea6f69786ea5d253646a565.png

SATURN to DB15:
Saturn-Demux-S2N-4.jpg

Saturn Specific Features:

• Coin button emulation by button combination. Press any 3 face buttons and Start simultaneously to send a coin button press.
  • Coin can be mapped to any face button or trigger on the Saturn controller by pressing a button 7 times during button mapping mode. Pressing a button 8 times will disable the button.
  • HAS Mode: The button mapping modes are controlled using the same combinations as the HAS supergun. This was done to make these adapters convenient for people familiar with the HAS system to use, but if you are using one of these adapters with a HAS supergun, you will find that the button mapping modes conflict with one another. As a workaround I have added a way to disable button remapping and auto fire. You can toggle this mode on or off by pressing and holding L + R + Start for 5 seconds.
    When you disable button remapping and auto fire the LED will light up solid for a second and then shut off. When you enable button remapping and auto fire the LED will flash rapidly for a second then shut off. You can toggle between each mode at any time. The mode settings are saved in the EEPROM and will persist after a power cycle.
Links:

More pictures of the SATURN to DB15 adapter:
Saturn-Demux-S2N-9-1024x985.jpg

SNES to DB15:

Work in progress. I currently haven't finished my PCB design for this one, but the code is complete. @Frank_fjs has design his own PCB that is compatible with my SNES code that you can check out here.
I will update this post when my PCB design is finished also.

Attachments

• PS1DB15-2-1024x1024.jpg
    PS1DB15-2-1024x1024.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,298
Last edited:
Awesome work @Arthrimus! So, question. Can you make button remapping work for start and coin as well? The reason I ask this is b/c the HAS also only does normal button remapping and this doesn't help in weird games that use start (or coin I suppose) as an action button, such as Guardians of the Hood or Rampart (two player joystick version), etc.

I have asked @Frank_fjs to sell me two Saturn adaptors (if he has time/extras) and would like to see if these two would have the ability to do this. I'd even give up re-assigning buttons 4-5 to make this happen if you're limited in code space or something.

Regardless if you're able to do this, awesome work still!

The Saturn controllers can map COIN in a few ways.

Either the L shoulder button, or the R shoulder button, or L + R + START alongside any 3 x faces buttons + START.

I used part of your code to fix the retrotronik psx to neogeo adapter but I'm a little shy to post here, so if anyone need it just PM me.

The Saturn controllers can map COIN in a few ways.

Either the L shoulder button, or the R shoulder button, or L + R + START alongside any 3 x faces buttons + START.
Yeah, not sure if I care about COIN too much, it's the damn start button that is weird I think, although I was wrong about GotH, as it doesn't use start it uses pins 25 and 26, which I'm not sure why doesn't work with my HAS, but the GotH board I have is very badly damaged so it could also be that.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media...ted/Guardians_of_the_-Hood_-_1992_-_Atari.pdf

I don't plan on selling these on a regular basis, just a few here and there.

@Arthrimus I'll be sending you a $5 donation for each adapter sold.
That's very generous Frank, you have no obligation to do that, I work on these things for my own entertainment. I'll probably assemble and sell some from time to time as well.

Wow these are awesome, definitely interested in a pair of Saturn adapters :)

Awesome work @Arthrimus! So, question. Can you make button remapping work for start and coin as well?

Regardless if you're able to do this, awesome work still!
Wondering about this, don't know if you saw it! :)
It is possible, but would require modification of the code to support it. I'll look into it.
Thank you so much. The ultimate preference would be to be able to map all buttons to any button.

@Arthrimus quick newby question on the PSX adapter. There isn't a BOM so I want to make sure I order the correct resistors from Digikey. Are the 100/330 ohm resistors the 1206 package?

I have the Saturn adapter PCBs and parts you and Frank did and am planning on putting that together tonight. Those were all 1206 caps/res in the BOM.

Haha I'm the reason for 1206, Arthrimus uses 0603.

The PSX BOM is listed on the OSHPARK page.

Yeah, I used 1206 to make soldering easier for my tired old eyes. Arthrimus is a trooper with 20/20 eyesight so he uses 0603. 8)

I've got the SNES version of the PCB done now and have had a chance to build and test a couple.

Q8sio4J.jpg

I've also been investigating an issue with the Sega Saturn adapter and the Retro Bit 2.4ghz wireless Saturn pads. Basically the issue is that X,Y, and Z dont register at all, and Left, Down and Up register properly, but also register as X,Y, and Z at the same time. I assumed that this issue might have to do with a timing issue in the way that the Select lines are driven in my code. I've switched from using the digitalWrite function to set the select lines, to the PORT command to drive both select lines simultaneously instead of one after another. Sadly this did not solve the issue, but I prefer this method to the old one so it will be incorporated into the code on the Github. I will continue to work on this as time permits. I will probably have to hook my oscilloscope to my Saturn controller ports to get some new readings and adjust the code accordingly.

Heads up, you can use the 2.4G Saturn controller with your existing code if you don't remap coin. This means the directional movements work as they should but you do lose buttons XYZ. Basically still fully usable as a 3 button controller though.

@Arthrimus are you planning on listing these on your store?

I'm of course waiting for the wireless SS fix, and hopefully, full button (coin and start) remapping too!

I asked Frank to make me a few, but I don't mind buying from the source if you decide to sell, also, you're closer!

Since I picked up a 3D printer, I've been working on a 3d printed shell for the Saturn to DB15 adapter. This is what it looks like so far.

eGt2sBz.jpg

This should also fit the @Frank_fjs version of the adapter PCB also since we both use the same PCB dimensions. I'll post the files once I create a thingiverse account.

I've got the SNES version of the PCB done now and have had a chance to build and test a couple.

I've also been investigating an issue with the Sega Saturn adapter and the Retro Bit 2.4ghz wireless Saturn pads. Basically the issue is that X,Y, and Z dont register at all, and Left, Down and Up register properly, but also register as X,Y, and Z at the same time. I assumed that this issue might have to do with a timing issue in the way that the Select lines are driven in my code. I've switched from using the digitalWrite function to set the select lines, to the PORT command to drive both select lines simultaneously instead of one after another. Sadly this did not solve the issue, but I prefer this method to the old one so it will be incorporated into the code on the Github. I will continue to work on this as time permits. I will probably have to hook my oscilloscope to my Saturn controller ports to get some new readings and adjust the code accordingly.
I bought one of these from eBay and the buttons are not right same with the Mega drive adapter so I’m down to get so,e of these when they are ready and tested.

Back