Neo Geo MVS cabinet PSU replacement

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Neo Geo MVS cabinet PSU replacement

      Hello
      Some months ago, I've managed to get a MVS cabinet in a American surplus store somewhere in the town. While the machine does turn on, they informed me that they had to replace the previous PSU since it's broken. I know I had to replace it but until recently, I don't exactly know where to ask this kind of stuff.

      After me and Darksoft had a conversation, he suggested to me to replace my cabinet's PSU with a regular computer PSU. Now, I'm very new to the whole technical stuff and was surprised that you don't exactly have to use an official arcade PSU (at least until they're available again).
      With that said, what exactly is the kind of computer PSU should I get (considering there's different kinds) and how do you set it up with your MVS board?

      I've got some screenshot of the current PSU. Pardon the dust, it manages to comeback even after I cleaned it. The board is clean though.




      Also, I've been meaning to ask, where exactly do you check the voltage of the board? It's the wire set on the left right? I want to know the voltage of the system using a Multimeter.
      Images
      • Image00002.jpg

        58.17 kB, 360×480, viewed 21 times
    • Carnov wrote:

      Also, I've been meaning to ask, where exactly do you check the voltage of the board? It's the wire set on the left right? I want to know the voltage of the system using a Multimeter.
      Yes it's the harness on the left.

      This is MVS pinout, not JAMMA, but they share the same pins for power, so using this as a reference:
      primetimeamusements.com/wp-con…/2019/07/jamma_pinout.png

      Set your DMM to DC, put the black lead on GND, and put the red lead on one of the +5v. And then leave the black lead, and place the red lead on +12v.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • nem wrote:

      Your cab already has a computer PSU. That actually might be the problem. Computer PSUs don't have adjustable +5V rails.

      You should measure what kind of voltage you're getting at the motherboard.
      Thanks for the heads up. I was going to purchase a power supply from twistedquarter (mainly this one twistedquarter.com/index.php?m…o&cPath=1&products_id=232) but unfortunately, I can only get it on December 20 and I can't find anything similar anywhere else or at least I think so. For now, I'll try out a different computer PSU since that's what recommended to me and see if it makes a difference.
      Do you know any good alternatives? I did saw these things but I'm not sure if they're good for the system. If they are good, guess asking on how to connect to them is the next question.


      The post was edited 1 time, last by Carnov ().

    • rewrite wrote:

      Carnov wrote:

      Also, I've been meaning to ask, where exactly do you check the voltage of the board? It's the wire set on the left right? I want to know the voltage of the system using a Multimeter.
      Yes it's the harness on the left.
      This is MVS pinout, not JAMMA, but they share the same pins for power, so using this as a reference:
      primetimeamusements.com/wp-con…/2019/07/jamma_pinout.png

      Set your DMM to DC, put the black lead on GND, and put the red lead on one of the +5v. And then leave the black lead, and place the red lead on +12v.
      Thanks for the info. I'll ask if there's something else I don't understand. By the way what did you mean by "And then leave the black lead, and place the red lead on +12v."? Don't you mean just moving the red lead from 5v to 12v?
    • rsignal wrote:

      I like the Suzo 42PP0606 (exactly the same as Prima Power MWP-606)

      You mean this one na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0064-00? I'll consider it and the Prima one since it's practically the same though is it different or similar with the one I've posted?
      While I'm not too picky with the price, I am picky about delivery time. The one I've posted is from china and at best arrives within a week. Unless Suzo and Prima can be delivered via UPS or anything similar (since I got my MultiMVS through them and received it after 3-4 days which is insanely fast for me), I think I'll stick with the one I posted unless proven bad. Not that I'm impatient or something but I just want to work on my machine as soon as possible so that I can finally check out my MultiMVS properly.
      Images
      • 2.png

        478.86 kB, 1,807×707, viewed 8 times
    • Carnov wrote:

      rsignal wrote:

      I like the Suzo 42PP0606 (exactly the same as Prima Power MWP-606)
      You mean this one na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0064-00? I'll consider it and the Prima one since it's practically the same though is it different or similar with the one I've posted?
      That's another model, the Power Pro. I prefer the MWP-606.

      42PP0606 and Prima Power MWP-606 are the same. I bought a 42PP0606 from an official Suzo distributor and the sticker says Prima Power MWP-606. I think it's exactly the same as Mean Well MWP-606 too.
    • rsignal wrote:

      That's another model, the Power Pro. I prefer the MWP-606.
      42PP0606 and Prima Power MWP-606 are the same. I bought a 42PP0606 from an official Suzo distributor and the sticker says Prima Power MWP-606. I think it's exactly the same as Mean Well MWP-606 too.
      Oh you mean this one:eu.suzohapp.com/en/products/accessories/42PP0606? I'll ask them regarding with it. Also, this a good site to get the Prima flatoutarcades.co.uk/products/…power-arcade-power-supply?