What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
I got a Toshiba A68KJU96X tube in pretty good shape (in terms of phosphor condition and emissions) but with the face all tagged up. The scratches cut into the glass pretty deep. Furthermore, the anti-static coating was splotchy, having been rubbed off somewhat in the past.

0lc243k.jpg

Nasty tags:

GwlwfGQ.jpg

Despite the scratches, the image is pretty good on this tube.

AYCfnWi.jpg

So, this one is worth saving. A few things have to happen:

1) Removing the anti-static coating
2) Grinding down the glass to the depth of the scratches
3) Evenly polishing the tube face for optical clarity

First, did a test on one of the smaller tags, using a coarse sanding disc.

1ZdEODr.jpg

qsjUfQ5.jpg

paCyRvA.jpg

Generally, off to a good start. One lesson learned quickly is that it's best to go over the whole monitor to get rid of the anti static coating first. Otherwise, the coating will clog up the sanding discs.

With the anti-static coating gone, I went over the tube face with the coarse disc, and ground out the scratches until they were not visible any more. This part went hot and fast, without any clogging, as I removed the layer.

g4edvwr.jpg

I started going through the progressively finer sanding discs, across the whole face.
5pRaQ0N.jpg

With the whole face pretty evenly sanded, and looking cloudy, I started to prepare for the buffing step.
MUP50BY.jpg

I basically did this all over the screen face, starting with just a corner to check how long it takes. Honestly, this part went very quickly. Shit sprays everywhere, and my covering wasn't adequate.

XMV2fnm.jpg

After the first pass, we're nearly finished.

qGQdLrh.jpg

Nice work! That's a fair amount of grinding to get deep enough to take that stuff out. Only thing remotely close to that I've done is polishing the haze off headlights, but those didn't have anything like that kind of depth.

Excellent work Mike, sending ya a few tubes :)
But seriously awesome work man. Are you going to try and apply an antistatic coating, etc..?

Wow, that turned out good! I can not count how many monitor tubes I have had that had the face scratched up and I just did not want to deal with them. Looking back I should have bit the bullet and sanded and buffed them out like you did.

But seriously awesome work man. Are you going to try and apply an antistatic coating, etc..?
Nah, not going to bother - I don't know what I should use, and whether or not I can get the equipment to evenly apply it properly. I've removed it from a tube in the past, and it's caused no problems, and a lot of older '80s monitors simply did not have it to begin with. It's just the mark of a reworked tube!

Nah, not going to bother - I don't know what I should use, and whether or not I can get the equipment to evenly apply it properly. I've removed it from a tube in the past, and it's caused no problems, and a lot of older '80s monitors simply did not have it to begin with. It's just the mark of a reworked tube!
True, would probably be a major PITA to apply. I forget why the manufacturers use these types of coatings on newer tubes, I think some used them as anti-glare coatings, etc..

great work man... could you provide a link of the sanding discs that you used and anything else that you used...I need to see if that works on my scratched up Pelco.

I'm actually having trouble finding the one I used, but it's very similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/GP28002-Glass-Scratch-Scratches-Diameter/dp/B007CJI6HQ

The only difference is that that one is missing the coarse pads:
https://www.amazon.com/GP13304-GP-PRO150-Sanding-Glass-Abrasive/dp/B00CL91TC6

I'll recommend getting a spare set of pads, because it's easy to eat through a lot when doing the antistatic layer. Ideally, we can find a better way to get all that off first.
https://www.amazon.com/GP41013-Resupply-Glass-Scratch-polishing/dp/B01FKJF8ZM

I'm actually having trouble finding the one I used, but it's very similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/GP28002-Glass-Scratch-Scratches-Diameter/dp/B007CJI6HQ

The only difference is that that one is missing the coarse pads:
https://www.amazon.com/GP13304-GP-PRO150-Sanding-Glass-Abrasive/dp/B00CL91TC6

I'll recommend getting a spare set of pads, because it's easy to eat through a lot when doing the antistatic layer. Ideally, we can find a better way to get all that off first.
https://www.amazon.com/GP41013-Resupply-Glass-Scratch-polishing/dp/B01FKJF8ZM
cool..thank you!

Awesome, thanks for the write up.

I probably would have gone straight to Novus. Good to know you can, and probably have to, hit it with a coarse sanding pad first.

I wonder if there is a better way to remove that coating/layer, I have a couple of tubes that are basically pristine, with the exception of showing damage to the coating.

Nice write up, might try this on my cocktail...

Brilliant work...got a ton of tubes in the garage, and some have some pretty heavy scuffs...always been leery about doing this, but this definitely shows it can be done!!!!

great work man, glad to know something like this is possible. I feel like an anti static film/vinyl wrap should be a thing now.

I just found a tube swap candidate for an MS9-29. Has minor scratches from storage. Nothing like what Mike had to deal with. I'll be attempting this as well. But will use Roloc discs with my impact tools (Impact tools have a collar that locks bits in place instead of a chuck that tightens down to the bit). Also, from learnings with car headlight repair, I may add a UV coating to the glass though am undecided on that

Will add to this conversation then. Thanks to Mike for laying down the ground work.

Back