What's new

TheRiddick

Student
Reaction score
Hello

My names Ian and i'm from Toronto Ontario. I just bought a used arcade Machine with street fighter 3rd strike. After I bought this i read because it's a Jamma CPS3. The Battery needs to be changed every five years or once the battery dies it wipes the memory and you lose everything.

I was wondering how easy it is to be changed or can you do something so it never needs to be changed?

This is my first arcade cabinet and just starting to learn all this stuff.

I`m just afraid one day I`ll turn it on and boom it`s all gone.

Can any one recommend any one to do this or anything easy enough I would be happy to do my self.

Any help you can provide would be amazing

Thanks,

5 years is only a rough estimate to be safe. It's varies, but just to keep peace-of-mind every 5 years is good practice.

Changing the battery is a bit tricky though, (harder than CPS2) and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. There are different revisions that are harder to swap, and battery swaps on CPS3 are not always a sure thing.

Get a skilled person to do it for you: I got Mitsurugi-w to swap mine, and he did a fantastic job at a good price. He did warn me first of the potential failure of swapping the battery, so it was a bit of a gamble. But it all turned out well, and I even had a harder revision cart he had to work with.

basically swapping the battery while the game is running. A bad move and it's gone, not beginner friendly.

So basically i'm screwed no matter what LOL

I guess I can play it till it dies and then Just go buy a Pandora box 4 and play it off that?

Or

I play it till it dies and then try and Phoenix my board?

you can have mitsu replace it or trade it for a dead cart and make your board to a multi cps 3

I was also sketched about changing the battery, so much so it prevented me from owning a CPS3 (and CPS2) in the past.
That was a shame because it really is a nice compact (I'm looking at you Naomi GDROM setup) system, especially once you replace that bulky disc drive with a SCSI2SD device.

If your anything like me I would recommend you get a SuperBIOS cart from Mits and be done with it (Darksoft multicart for CPS2).

Checkout my section here on the forums and look at a few of the CPS3 videos on my YouTube page. Lots of info there. Then you can decide what's best for you. I pretty much do any service for CPS3 related to the cart.

Back