What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
Not all good news, it gets stuck at START PROGRAM so it is a bit of a project. One of many. Also, the bezel along the top is bent out of shape a bit. I think a little heat gun treatment can put it back in place. But for $100, if the System 256 board is cooked, it will make for a nice hi-res NAOMI system as it looks like the dark skinned cousin of the NAOMI Universal cab.

Anyone know what monitor comes with these cabs? I may take advantage of security001's May sale and pick up caps from him now.

photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 601
Check voltages first then try a new DVD drive afterwards. Nice pickup. Don't see many of those cabs.

Check voltages first then try a new DVD drive afterwards. Nice pickup. Don't see many of those cabs.
I didn't check voltages, but I get power everywhere as all the LED's fire up. This is the most complex cab I have ever opened up. I don't hear the DVD drive spinning at all. The tray does ejects, but there is no tell tale whirl sound the moment after the tray closes. The seller told me that it does start from time to time. I think I have turned it on 7x, never seen it go past that START PROGRAM screen.

Advice as to where to start from here? Should I still check voltages?

Great score. That is a really cool looking cabinet.
Yeah man. I opened up the CP and there are punch-outs already for Fierce punch and Roundhouse kick in the layout of a Sega Astro City. Only problem is that the 1P punch-outs, should I choose to add in those buttons, would cut through the artwork on the center panel :(.

Looks like I got make an overlay.

nice score! looks in pretty good nic for $100.
Good luck with getting the system 256 working again.

Actually i have a system 256 and tekken 5.1 en-route from japan as we speak

Advice as to where to start from here? Should I still check voltages?
Yes. First troubleshooting should always be checking voltages. When I worked at Aladdin's Castle the Namco tech on the phone wouldn't even talk to us if we didn't have the voltages so we checked them and wrote them down before calling.

Sounds like a DVD drive issue though.

I am thinking it is just a drive issue too. I just ordered a replacement drive off eBay. I'll find out in about a week if it fires up. Took some snaps of the underside of the CP. Really interesting how this was designed. Will post them tomorrow.

I remember posting somewhere on this board that I wasn't too interested in games for this system. Of course then, I picked up a 256. So the next question is what projects can I run on this?

Cab looks well funky - like a good BYOAC Naomi home-build....

The fact it displays "Game Start" means the main board is at least outputting video.

It's got some funkiness to it. I'll admit that.

• The card readers under the monitor bezel were removed leaving a bit of emptiness to fill.
  • The monitor frame was painted gold (wtf?!). Originally it was silver. So I gotta strip that back to silver. Hope I don't find a reason under that gold paint why it was painted as such.
  • The security lock gates in the lower front detract from the cab. Similar lock gate on the back panel giving access to the inner-workings. This will never go to a public location again, so those lock gates are going to come off. And I have no problems trashing those.

Here is how it would have looked out of the factory I suppose.

Tekken 5 01.jpg

Clearly having artwork under the monitor frame between that and the top of the CP "completes" the cabs look. So I really need to fill in that emptiness. And that NAMCO emblem is pretty damn cool. But hey, it was a hundred bucks which is one round of drinks.

The fact it displays "Game Start" means the main board is at least outputting video.
Yeap, totally hoping it is just a DVD drive issue. When I opened it up, it had the factory Tekken 5 disc. Then it had a DVD-R of 5.1. I'll take the PCB out tomorrow so I can clean up that area of the dust blobs. I'll have a look then and see if the DVD drive is cooked or not.

Yeap, totally hoping it is just a DVD drive issue. When I opened it up, it had the factory Tekken 5 disc. Then it had a DVD-R of 5.1. I'll take the PCB out tomorrow so I can clean up that area of the dust blobs. I'll have a look then and see if the DVD drive is cooked or not.
Most likely, it's just that the DVD drive is worn out and needs to be replaced.

As for the fact that you have a Tekken 5 disc, and 5.1 burned disc, that's not really an issue as it's the security dongle that actually has the game boot program on it.
What Security Dongle do you have, though?
A 5.1 security dongle will allow you to play both 5 and 5.1, but I'm not sure if a 5 dongle will allow you to play a 5.1 disc.

More Info:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/system246/index.html

"As well as protection functions, the dongle provides the region code / language / title change. The dongle also changes some game features like it having more fighters / more released characters in Tekken 4 or Soul Calibur or other things like that. The dongle may also set the allowed DVD drive type but this isn't confirmed yet. In my opinion, the dongle is actually the BOOT ROM, since without the cart plugged in the game does nothing and the DVD drive does not power up at all. All dongles have a unique Namco game code and revision number per game. For example in the game code 'TEF1 Ver.A', 1 = Japanese region, 2 and 3 = World region. If the dongle is faulty or not present the game will not boot at all. You will not see an error, only a blank screen. Some games have more than 1 revision dongle. Any dongle for that game can be used. For example a dongle for Soul Calibur II can be used with Soul Calibur II Rev D and a dongle for Tekken 5.1 will work with Tekken 5. The region for a game can also be changed by simply swapping the dongle to a different one that is coded to a different region. For example to swap Time Crisis 3 (Japanese dongle TST1 Ver.A) to English, just use a dongle coded 'TST2 Ver.A'. The ROM can also be re-programmed to a different region, more on that below."

If you do decide to part it out, please drop me a line- I need a few parts from a US Tekken 5 cab.

Also, you can probably pay for the whole cab by selling the 256 pcb if you're aiming to drop a naomi in there.

If you do decide to part it out, please drop me a line- I need a few parts from a US Tekken 5 cab.

Also, you can probably pay for the whole cab by selling the 256 pcb if you're aiming to drop a naomi in there.
Any dedicated cab I have, I will keep entirely or sell entirely. That said, do you have the same cab? Can you post pictures?

Are System 256 and 246 compatible? That is, can System 246 games play on the System 256?

Any dedicated cab I have, I will keep entirely or sell entirely. That said, do you have the same cab? Can you post pictures?
No worries- I don't have one, but I was looking to get some parts from one.
I only asked because of your comment: "if the System 256 board is cooked, it will make for a nice hi-res NAOMI system as it looks like the dark skinned cousin of the NAOMI Universal cab."

Thanks!

Are System 256 and 246 compatible? That is, can System 246 games play on the System 256?
Some games will work on a 256, but will need a jumper change on the 256 board.
Notable games that will NOT work include Tekken4, RidgeRacerV, TimeCrisis3, and others.

Some games will work on a 256, but will need a jumper change on the 256 board.Notable games that will NOT work include Tekken4, RidgeRacerV, TimeCrisis3, and others.
Ah thank you!

No worries- I don't have one, but I was looking to get some parts from one.I only asked because of your comment: "if the System 256 board is cooked, it will make for a nice hi-res NAOMI system as it looks like the dark skinned cousin of the NAOMI Universal cab."

Thanks!
I think if it is cooked, I will try to replace the parts. Fingers crossed this is just a drive issue (hope I bought the right one). But if I do ever part it out, you'll have first dibs.

She's alive, ALIVE, A-L-I-V-E!!!

It was just a burn out DVD drive. Easy fix. Joysticks and buttons are sluggish though. Some video distortion on top of the screen. Goes away partially after a little warm up. But I think monitor can use a cap kit. Happy!

Nice. Yep. Throw a cap kit on there.

Back