What's new

SurferGuy420

Beginner
Reaction score
I keep my CPS2 multi in an entertainment center (it's ventilated), but having to open the door everytime I want to switch games gets tedious really quickly.

I remembered the Naomi multis use ethernet to transfer the game data, and while I understand it's doing something different it did make me wonder if there was a way to use ethernet to extend the length of the CPS2 multi selector. Kind of like how you can use ethernet to extend the length of an HDMI connection; hell an even better solution would be to implement a boot menu similar to the everdrives/neo carts that lets you to select a game using the joystick and buttons but I have no idea if this idea is possible with the CPS2 kit.

Thankfully extending the length of the multi-selector PCB should be doable - does anyone know what would be necessary to convert it to cat5/make it longer? ?(

Why not just use a longer length of ribbon cable? 2 meters pictured below, braided rainbow rainbow cable.
73321891_10218538452105579_7743428355076128768_n.jpg

She's not mine sadly, install I did for a local customer who had it spray painted.

I'm talking cat5 specifically to be longer than those. I should've made that clear :D
How long? Cat5 is just wire too, it’s just cheaper than using hdmi cable which is why people do that over long runs. But ribbon cable is cheap too. why bother converting to cat5 when you could buy ribbon wire? I see 14 conductor at 10m for $12 on amazon. Several folks sell assembled idc cables too just not sure if they have your length.

I believe it has to do with signal strength - e.g. a 10m long ribbon cable would drop voltage low enough to not function properly over said distance, whereas a powered intermediary - say an ethernet switch for example - would allow the run to go much longer without dropping out. Similar to how HDMI cables can't be coupled without needing additional power over 15+ft before the feed begins sparkling and losing signal, etc.

I could be wrong but I don't think a 10m long ribbon cable would function properly because of this :(

How long a run are you talking? It’s not like this lcd screen needs a ton of juice, I think there’s a data sheet (model 1602B2) and it’s still probably easier to avoid a conversion. 14 conductors vs 8 in a cat5 etc.

If it’s actually too long a distance you could run the comm conductors but get power nearby from another power source maybe.

Last edited:
The goal was to run it outside the furniture door, but if I can run it from the entertainment center to my couch I'd much rather do that :thumbsup:

But that would be about 12, maybe 15ft or so. Maybe I'll give the ribbon cable a try.

It would be more work but a wireless solution isn't out of the question. So you'd connect a receiver to the LCD module and control it via a small universal remote.

I'd just take the ribbon connector cable from the B multi and make a ribbon to female Ethernet port adapter. From there plug in a male to male ethernet cable, with one end terminating in another ribbon cale connector going into the selector.

Basically just create a one-off adapter to convert the ribbon cable to terminate from the B board to the female ethernet port. Then it's just plug and play from wherever you want to sit

Has anyone ever tried to extend the inside lcd connector to the exterior of the case for a breakaway cable? I run my lcd cable through a keyhole in my cab to I can mount it to the bezel of my machine like in the image I've attached.

wZLcsYY.jpg
Looking at this image above, has anyone tried to run an extension from inside the case to the coin counter slot his ribbon cable comes out of so they could use it as a breaking point to swap cables? I'm planning on using my board at tournaments soon and was looking for an easier option that doesn't involve running the cable in and out of my cab every time I move it.

YO! That is wicked sweet. Great idea. Might have to steel that. Nice work.

Back