What's new
Can you elaborate on how you repaired the marquee please? Did you replace the colours or the entire thing?
so I purchased professional transparent sign vinyl. Its whats used in many outdoor business signs mounted on the inside for light to shine out. Purchase the individual colors and cut it to the shapes on the marquee. Stick it to the inside of the shapes on the marquee and boom! Done! Its nerve racking to place it correctly since there are curves, tight tolerances and you don't bubbles, but it looks great when you are done. The product is called oracal 8300. You will need the big 24'' sheet to fit the long green stripe as you cant put to pieces together as you will see a yucky seam.

Practice using it before you go to apply, its a one shot and done. If you mess up and have to lift it, 1. your gonna mess up the original vinyl you are overlaying and you will see "issues" in the consistency of the color. (learn from my experience!) 2. you will need to cut a new piece of oracal as well, its very unforgiving.

I got mine from here
https://www.thevinylspectrum.com/oracal-vinyl/oracal-8300/12in-x-24in-sheets/

colors used:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 2.30.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 2.30.42 PM.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Since everyone on this forum has been so helpful on my own Astro City restore journey I thought I'd add one piece of information I discovered.

The Logitech Z-5300 while looking quite similar is NOT a drop in replacement. You'd have to drill the mounting holes somewhat to make it fit. Not impossible of course but it isn't direct and will require some power tools.

Z-5500 satellite pairs are easy to find on ebay.
Ah good to know!

Hey, could you tell me the name of the paint and gel coat that you used.

Hey, could you tell me the name of the paint and gel coat that you used.
I don't know the exact brand except they are OEM paints - lexus super white and corvette gunmetal black for the bezel. The gelcoat I dont know the name of it, all of the painting was done at a body shop, I just did all the prep

One last thing.. Can you send me a link to the led lights that you used on the control panel?

One last thing.. Can you send me a link to the led lights that you used on the control panel?

Pretty low tech here, just get 3 short strips of RGB led lights and mount them under the buttons so the light shines up. Run the power out the back our a power strip in the cab.

Hey Flux,

really impressive work here. You’ve done a killer job. I hope you don’t mind a couple questions:
You said you did automotive paint and then gel. Does that mean you did a full primer/base/clear coat and then gel? Or did you do primer/base/gel, or some other combo?

edit: I re-read another post and you said you had to sand it down for the gel coat. Am I reading correctly, then, that you performed two paint jobs on it in that case?

You mentioned you did a trade of services for the gel. Would you have any idea, ballpark, how much that would’ve cost if you had paid for it?

Again, great work. I’m hoping to have a cab as clean as yours one day!

Last edited:
Back