What's new

digitalarchives

Beginner
Reaction score
Op. POLYBIUS

renderTimingPixel.png

Good afternoon fellow games enthusiasts!
I work in the IT field as a network admin. and also offer services such as data backup, data archiving and digitization of old archived files for various companies/sectors. I will cut to the chase, I have recently come across a particular set of files from a customer located in Vancouver, WA. The files in question are part of a trove of internal memos with different File Numbers in the headings that are meant to be digitized and archived. Business as usual..until one of these files had black redactions caught my eye and I decided to take a closer look.
After a few days of reading anything I could related to OPERATION POLYBIUS off of the www I came to the conclusion that this file was somehow related to an old arcade game that was said to be released in Portland in the early 80s for a short period of time and then just vanished. I now have more questions then when I first started looking for answers a few days ago. Does anyone have some light to shed on this? any first hand experience with this game?

5381-MKPLBSOR.jpg

Original baby. My German father imported it when the family left Europe.

It’s just a bad Qix clone honestly, not worth anyone’s time. I dunno what all the fuss is about.

Operation Polybius was part of MKULTRA. I urge you to don protective headwear (an aluminium foil hat will suffice) when investigating this game.

Heh, this old legend refuses to die.
Yes MKULTRA was real! But Polybius was not.

I wish I could get my hands on some of that weaponized LSD mace the CIA invented.
I'd spray myself in the face with it and trip out mega hard! :S :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(urban_legend)

So, if you look down the page, to Legacy:Polybius for PC.....Dr. Vance is a good friend of mine...and I have played his arcade cabinet version, and its a lot of fun. He very clearly will tell you, that this is not the "original" of anything, simply a creation his team made for kicks, to resemble all the urban legends. The picture on the Wiki, is taken in an early version of his arcade.

The deeper I dig, the more confused I get. The first mention of Polybius is in early 2000 on coinop..

Last edited:
@rewrite indeed but he worked doing distribution for Sinneslöschen and was doing play-testing in Oregon in the 80’s. We had already moved here since he was opening the US market for them. Company shut down pretty quick though so he lost his job and didn’t get his personal unit shipped back here until 2000 after I’d left for college and he had more free time again. Sat in a warehouse for a while!

The game sucked and failed. Nobody really played it except some kid with the flu, and he threw up on the test unit so they took it out. Guess it went nuts from there?

Funny story, my grandpa (his dad, who kept the cab in storage) was a typographer and has gone years without getting credit or royalties for his pretty famous design:

6c1.png

Last edited:
I for the life of me cannot find any mention whatsoever of Sinneslöschen anywhere as being a registered entity. Was Sinneslöschen a "working project name" ?

Still looking for a Polybius cardboard box. Hopefully darksoft makes a multi for this!

Back