What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
Any recommendations for 6-conductor wire to make quality RGB cabling? I want to have every wire shielded and grounded at each end. In the past I've cut up component cables, but this leads to thick cabling that often breaks the pins on the back of scart connectors due to their weight and rigidity.

I'd like to be able to make my own quality cables that are still thin and flexible. 6 conductors (RGBS+L/R Audio) would be perfect, but a few more wouldn't hurt. I know there are lots of options for unshielded 6-core, but I'm specifically looking for individually shielded if it exists.

STP Cat6 Ethernet cable might be what you need?

Using something like Belden 1855A RG59 Coaxial Cable for each of the RGB and Sync would be ideal, you can use the core for the signal, and the braids for GNDs.

It's kinda pricey, and not easy to find, but a compromise would be Something like Leoni 100, which is 50ohm (the Belden is the correct 75ohm) and can be got easily..

You can also pick up some specific BNC video leads, snip the BNC plugs off and use the cable - it's bound to be 75ohm and have low loss if it's been used to make a semi-pro video lead..

I'm harvesting old obsolete VGA cables from work and plan on turning them into RGB/SCART cables. They have ferrite beads on each end as well. Haven't had the chance to actually make one and test yet but maybe worth a try? On second thought you might be one wire short with VGA.

Last edited:
I'm harvesting old obsolete VGA cables from work and plan on turning them into RGB/SCART cables. They have ferrite beads on each end as well. Haven't had the chance to actually make one and test yet but maybe worth a try? On second thought you might be one wire short with VGA.
Great suggestion, thanks! Now that I look at VGA cables, they do appear to be perfect. Inside they have 3 individually shielded 75ohm wires for RGB along with a number of extra smaller unshielded wires. I'm now running audio separately, so VGA provides more than enough for RGB+S, and you can ground the extra cables for a little more internal shielding.

I have a stockpile of high-end VGA cables picked up from Goodwill through the years, and it looks like the thicker types have crazy shielding inside, which I like.

Back