What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So I recently picked up some Konami M2 hardware and I've been trying to get it working.

Some games need a different disc image for 24kHz and 15kHz video modes, I don't have any JAMMA cabs setup for 24kHz and the only discs I have are 24kHz so I've been trying to burn some 15kHz versions from MAME.

The discs seem to have a lot of sub-channel data which is lost unless they're extracted from CHD to a BIN/TOC format. and As far as I can tell CDRDAO is the only software that can burn these.

I could not for the life of me find any windows compiled binaries for this so I had to make my own.
Then I couldn't get it to recognize my burner until I found a ASPI drive that worked.
Then I had to play around with a bunch of settings just it get it to not fail instantly with my Optiarc brand burner
and even not it will complete a burn, and then throw some errors after completion like "Open test complete failed".

I found the XDuplicator GUI for it hoping that it might help and I didn't get any further with that.

I spent half the day trying to get a successful burn and I'm completely out of ideas.

In the past I've used this burner with Nero or Discjuggler to do system 2x6, system 573, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gamecube discs, etc. without any problem.

-------------------
So does anyone know of an alternative software for burning BIN/TOC files? or is there any good documentation for getting CDRDAO running reliably in Windows? :S

I'm sure Imgburn can do it, but only as a single session disc/raw write (DAO as you said).
Ok, that's good. It's been maybe decades since I had to write CDs! The image I just burned (using chdman -o file.tao) with imgburn did work, but i was only prompted to load the bin (and didn't see a way to load the toc). I dove into the settings afterwards and it does look like it's on DAO/SAO as the default.
This was me burning M2 discs from this thread. Looking at this now I think I meant ".toc" not ".tao". So using "chdman extractcd -I something.chd -o something.toc". then using imgburn with DAO/SAO selected (as it was by default)

Reactions: nem
imgburn doesn't support bin/toc format :(
"chdman extractcd -I something.chd -o something.toc".
that's not correct, toc is a type of cue file and needs to be paired with a bin file.

-----------
AFAIK CDRDAO is still the only program that can do BIN/TOC format.

for Konami M2 disc though apparently the sub-channel data isn't needed so you can get away with BIN/CUE and ignore the warnings that you're losing data in the extract.

you need to use
chdman extractcd -i myinput.chd -o myoutput.cue -ob myoutput.bin
Then you can burn the BIN/CUE with IMGBURN with DOA enabled (it should be enabled by default)

If anyone ever needs these just message me. I have a full set of original discs so I can always create different versions that work on different burning software.

The only issue is you need software that won’t “look” at the data, since the sector size of M2 discs is OperaFS standard. Some burning programs just refuse to deal with these files as they don’t see them as standard sector sized discs and therefor will just throw up an error

On my Laptop the OperaFS viewer program would instantly blue-screen my PC whenever I tried to view a disc.

so I would basically just burn and pop it in the M2 to see if it was good or not :-/

I realise this is an old thread but I just wanted to add my own experience and findings here with the toc/bin drama since I came across this thread during my search for answers.

I needed to burn a CD for my Punch Mania (Konami 573) and so extracted a toc & bin file from a CHD using the command "chdman extractcd -I something.chd -o something.toc", it's worth noting that command alone generated the .toc and .bin without specifying an actual bin file (result was the same regardless of whether I used -something.bin or not).

As per one of the Mame devs in this thread;
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/h7zfvc/can_i_use_mame_chds_to_make_a_game_iso_for_system/
The Konami 573 doesn't actually need the sub channel data so you can just extract a cue and bin (rather than toc) but I was pretty keen to persevere and try burning the cd using the toc file.

Came across the XDuplicator GUI as mentioned above by Twistedsymphony and demonstrated in Awbacon1's thread here;
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/tutorial-for-making-bin-cue-from-chd-files-a-video.9808/

The problem I had with XDuplicator was that 'CDRDAO' doesn't come bundled with it and so it was effectively useless. Turns out there is a pre-complied version of CDRDAO for windows that was distributed with Exact Audio Copy (in one of the folders once installed, copy this to the xduplicator directory).
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

Post#19 in this thread;
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=33945.0
also has some files complied for use in windows which can be used with XDuplicator (cdrdao, toc2cue, cue2toc).

When scanning for drives with XDuplicator it would only find drives connected using a traditional interface (i.e SATA), it would not detect USB drives which I guess is just a reflection on the age of the software (last updated 2002).

After all that burnt a CD using the TOC file and it worked first time, the first CD i've burnt in years.

Back