What's new
UORBtlL_d.jpg

more like here
I have buy one of these

I think language is starting to become an issue here.
Can someone explain the man how to use a ‘multimetro’ in Italian?

Pascal... Do you have the same screen in the sounds setting menu?

Now I'll get a multimeter as soon as possible

Screen should be the same, just for me all says OK :)

Get a multimeter and go from there, -5v is the first thing you need to confirm

Do you have the ribbon cable installed correctly?

The red edge of the ribbon cable needs to go to pin 1 on the main board and pin 1 on the sound board. It's easily installed incorrectly because it feels like it's being plugged in the wrong way around when you plug it in the right way around (counter intuitive).

The red edge of the ribbon cable needs to go to pin 1 on the main board and pin 1 on the sound board. It's easily installed incorrectly because it feels like it's being plugged in the wrong way around when you plug it in the right way around (counter intuitive).
What? If I play with mvs the sounds it's perfect it's the same?
I have other pcb (sunset riders and work perfectly)

What? If I play with mvs the sounds it's perfect it's the same?I have other pcb (sunset riders and work perfectly)here is a ribbon cable between the
There is a ribbon cable and a power cable between the Mortal Kombat main PCB and the sound PCB. It all needs to be installed correctly - it has nothing to do with the wiring in your Blast City. Any other game installed in the Blast City will work because they're not set up like Mortal Kombat 2.

Ok, that's the power cable. Where is the ribbon cable at the opposite end of the main PCB between the soundboard and main board? You should have two cables. You should see a header with 20 pins on both boards.

Look at the MK2 PCB in this post. Two cables between the boards.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3622544

Last edited:
Ok, that's the power cable. Where is the ribbon cable at the opposite end of the main PCB between the soundboard and main board? You should have two cables. You should see a header with 20 pins on both boards.

Look at the MK2 PCB in this post. Two cables between the boards.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3622544
OK, see this picture:

There is another cable Connected between the boards

Yes, it is all connected properly. Is the LED light on the soundboard turning on when you turn the power on?

Correction - I saw your photo with the LED light on.

I suspect the op amp has blown at U37 but it could be a capacitor also.

Last edited:
heads up. sometimes the cap by the back of the audio amp heatsink will go bad from the heat. if that cap is bad you will also get no audio even when you do get -5v to the board. the phillips caps that williams used were crap and commonly are dead at this point in time.

Go after the cap first cut at one end and use a cap meter to measure it

Yes, it is all connected properly. Is the LED light on the soundboard turning on when you turn the power on?

Correction - I saw your photo with the LED light on.

I suspect the op amp has blown at U37 but it could be a capacitor also.
Pheraphs in this screen there are problem:

Only one says ok

No, that's just letting you know what errors there are in the soundboard based on the number of tones the soundboard makes once you boot the board.

If you could hear 1 tone - the soundboard is 'fine' (not always correct but 99% of the time it is).

If you could hear 2 tones - U2 would be bad, etc.

I currently have one that is making 10 tones - I suspect that's one of the 6116 ram but it is isn't listed in that test menu. I had one that made 7 tones and that was 6116 RAM.

Your board is 'running' on the digital side (LED light is on) but I suspect there's something bad in the amplifier circuit - I can fix these, have fixed quite a few and I'd suspect it's the op amp. This is common to fail on those boards. If you can turn the volume up to the max and listen for any tiny sounds that may help. If you can barely hear the game sounds it will be that op amp.

You can also try running your finger on the solder side of the board on the pins of the main amplifier (that is attached to the large aluminium heat sink). If it makes load static noise you will know the main amp is ok.

Last edited:
Need to confirm he has -5v first before delving any deeper!

Need to confirm he has -5v first before delving any deeper!
Yes, I've got one of those Negatrons in my Blast City and works fine - so I'm assuming it's something else (but yes he should check).

Back