What's new

Kiwi

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Ketsui, Espgaluda, and DOJ carts just came in the mail today but, to my dismay, the only one that worked was DOJ. Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Ketsui:
IMG_20191213_133648.jpg
Espgaluda:
IMG_20191213_144106.jpg

There was no sound on either board. There was some subtle movement on Ketsui every now and then followed by the screen wiggling around a bit, and on Espgaluda the screen was pretty much just static. Someone mentioned to me that this could possibly be a voltage thing. If so, how could I fix it? Any other ideas on how to resolve this issue? I bought them from Taobao so returning would be a huge pain and time sink (not to mention these were supposed to be for Christmas so I was hoping to use them on the 25th. I was just testing if they worked real quick).

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but the bottom PCB on the two broken carts have a weird size difference between the pins and DOJ does not.

From top to bottom in the image: DOJ, ESPgal, Ketsui.
IMG_20191213_144704.jpg

Dismantle the non working carts and reseat both PCBs.

Do you mean just make sure they're stable inside the case? Or do you mean to take it apart then plug both PCBs in the system without their shell.

Just ensure the PCBs are sitting in the plastic cart shell properly. They tend to be knocked out of place during shipping.

I checked out the Ketsui one and it looks fine to me

Looking isn't good enough lol.

Clean the contacts and seat the PCBs correctly in the plastic cart housing. :)

Looking isn't good enough lol.

Clean the contacts and seat the PCBs correctly in the plastic cart housing. :)
as above, I have found PGM carts can be a bit flaky, well mine have have been and needed cleaning and reseating.

The board differances is probly due to some of them being conversions on official boards.. and the un offical Kesui PCB being diffrent. If you open them up.. you should be able to tell by looking at the PCBs. I just hope none of the wires / soldeing for the conversions has been damaged in transit......

I would still clean you cart edge connectors....

One of the screens you talk about is running a memory check in the back ground.... I have seen it before.... Most stupid screens is the program rom has issues..... Dirty cart slots normally boot with GFX coruption....

I'd be checking to make sure all the DIP roms are seated and haven't poped out in transit as well.....

T.

Yeah, clean the edges. Preferably with Deoxit D5. Clean the PGM board too. Reseat any socketed roms. Make sure there are no loose wires.

Post photos of the boards here if still having problems.

Do other games work with the PGM?

Where did you buy the carts?

Make sure your voltages are correct also, sitting at 5v to 5.1v is a nice safe place to be.

Double check the bottom board, which provides sound samples and sprite data. As Neo-Alec says, check for loose wires if the board is modded for 3.3v memory. Have a good look at soldering quality.

A few updates:

The only games I have for the PGM are the three I just bought, so DOJ is the only working cart I have to show for. I reseated the PCBs in the plastic case (I tried plugging them in without the case too) and that didn't work. I got a multimeter while I was out today to check the voltage and found that it was at 5.17. I adjusted the PSU until I got it to 5.03, still no dice. I got the carts from Taobao (https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/bu...ps://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=583009475359) and I was told by someone on discord that the person making them goes by the name of lydz on the forum. I think I'll shoot him a message about this and see what to do next. I haven't cleaned the connections yet because I feel like it's a little unlikely that's the problem since both Ketsui and Espgaluda won't work and have the same symptoms. I could be wrong about this of course, but I'm basically just making excuses right now because I don't have stuff to clean it with on me atm :P. DOJ is magically fine though, even though the pins look far worse.

Now here's a bunch of low quality pictures of the Ketsui PCB:
IMG_20191214_172256.jpg
IMG_20191214_172412.jpg
IMG_20191214_172345.jpg
IMG_20191214_172400.jpg
IMG_20191214_172418.jpg
IMG_20191214_172423.jpg
IMG_20191214_172429.jpg
IMG_20191214_172438.jpg
IMG_20191214_175216.jpg
IMG_20191214_175120.jpg
IMG_20191214_175500.jpg
Also, am I missing a wire that should be there?

I would make sure to reseat the cartridge connector on the actual motherboard. They can come undone quite easily due to warping/putting on the red plastic housing wrong.

Do you mean plug in the PCBs without the case? I've already tried that.

Oh that, I already made sure it's plugged in all the way. Besides, DOJ still works, just not Ketsui and Espgaluda

Those are definitely Lydz carts, I have one myself.

given the weird spacing between the pins, you might want to make sure the cart PCBs are lining up properly with the pins on the console connector.

Make sure you have all of the dip switches on your mobo OFF.

Can you get into test mode (dip 1 ON)? if so try a factory reset

Was DDPDOJ the first cart you played?

I ask because It's been my experience that it's a really wonky cart and I can't go from that cart to the other conversion carts without problems, it's like it loads some data into the mobo that corrupts the other conversion carts and the only way to fix it is to load a non-conversion game before installing one of the other conversion carts. For this reason I keep a dedicated mobo for just DDPDOJ

I've made sure that the pins line up well and my dip switches are off. I did I haven't tried test mode yet, I'll give that a shot though. I played Ketsui first, then DOJ, then Espgaluda. I don't seem to be experiencing the issues you had in that case

Back